Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bast Relief posted:

As someone who has no exposure to Dark Towers, it seems so dumb that this quote should mean so much to someone. Out of context, it just seems like someone is really into astronomy or psychedelics. But it's probably just some overwrought nerd poo poo.

It's not even a very good quote from the series, it's a set-up from Book 1 that hints toward literal other planes of existence that are actually the different "worlds" that Stephen King's books exist in. The theme of the whole series is a nihilistic resignation that our actions mean nothing, and a metaphorical wheel called the Wheel of Ka turns on and on, the universes continuing to rise and fall without caring about a single soul. It doesn't matter what any man or gunslinger does in his life, reality in the books is literally cyclical and what will happen has already happened, and what has already happened will happen again, while nothing you do will change it.

Getting that tattooed on your body while claiming it's your favorite series is completely :psyduck: for how hard you miss the point.

Also, the books themselves are really bad. Like, some of the worst thoughts King has ever put to paper. The silliest, the most morally repugnant, the most boring, and the most self-serving passages he's ever written. It's hot garbage in seven volumes with a dumpster fire for an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kingnothing posted:

For some who hates the books so much, you sure have one hell of an opinion for a 7 book, 5000+ page story.

Sometimes you read things in high school, then realize in retrospect that they're pretty bad, man

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

HOL is pretty cool because, from my experience with it, it was very hard to follow. Footnotes that took up three or four pages that were just a story being told by a dude. To put it into perspective, the book's main pages are the rambling investigations of a mad man who is obsessed with a movie made about a house that doesn't make any architectural sense. The footnotes are written by the main character, who found this book in his creepy neighbor's apartment after he passed away. Everything is all topsy turvy to represent a bunch of different pieces of paper that aren't just all put together neatly, it's like a binder of poo poo loosely connected together.

So while reading it, some of the weirder stuff and non-sequiturs that could be relevant, as well as names I think may be important, I would write down into a little journal I had bought at Target to keep track of. It took a few dozen pages of doing this when I realized that I was now writing crazy notes about the crazy notes for the crazy notes about the crazy film made about the crazy house. I felt like the author had just dunked on me, for how often the footnotes-writer says "just put this book down man, or else you'll go crazy" and here I was with a book of different-colored pen ink trying to keep track of the weird poo poo in the book

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ToastFaceKillah posted:

Someday, I want someone to come in and ask for that "I refuse to sink" quote with a buoy.

I would kill to get this tattooed on my ankle/calf

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I sighed aloud

http://youtu.be/hm8tPYyexnY

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It took until somebody posted the Arizona green tea can for me to realize it wasn't literally an Arizona green tea can sleeve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't see a problem here?

Pull your cards a bit closer to your chest, I caught a glimpse and your spades ain't just spades