Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Memento posted:

those stars are something else

I mean, not stars

looks like he did it himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

drat it's almost a direct copy of my jefferson davis and robert e lee tattoo

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Memento posted:

What sort of tattoo goes with "arrested with four pounds of meth and multiple guns", asked nobody, but I will answer it anyway.

only 4 lbs? what could they not find the rest of it?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

honestly you're not doing it justice cropping it there, you really gotta include whatever the gently caress is going on with the legs too

for real that tattoo is an unusual level of bad that you don't often see. It's got like normal tattoo composition elements, but the actual execution of everything is just unbelievably bad

it's spectacular

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I actually thought it was a lovely bear

It's even worse as a wolf omg

for all we know it may well be a raccoon

seriously yall sleeping on the rest of that weird thing

the bottom half doesn't make any more sense either

Herstory Begins Now has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Jan 26, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Happy Landfill posted:

I guess I'm still stuck in that "tattoos as having meaning rather than just being something cool" mindset.

'i wanted to get that tattooed on me' is a meaning, yknow

more seriously though, i think a lot of the 'tattoos *have* to have meaning' comes from people residually seeing tattoos as transgressive, even if they aren't as stigmatized anymore, so in order to justify the transgression there must be some redeeming quality or meaning to it.

Setting aside the suggestion that tattoos have to or even should have meaning, you're left with the baseline that it's hard not to assign meaning to significantly placed bits of imagery

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Even if everyone had that mindset think about the kind of stuff that fourteen year olds think is profound and deep, and combine that level of emotional sophistication with a complete lack of aesthetic sense. "Omg I love those books" is about as deep as some people get.

I knew a guy in high school who thought reading was dumb and for losers. Then the first Halo book came out, and he gave it a try because how could it not be cool, it's Halo!1! Then he asked friends if there were books that games like Halo drew from, and next thing I knew he was blitzing through Niven, Asimov, and the like, before branching out to other genres. Turned out he wasn't a moron; he'd just been profoundly failed by the school system and his parents.

Now imagine what kind of tats he'd get if he hadn't been open to new experiences slash curious enough to branch out from Halo books.

yeah i've met the tattoo version of this guy and the answer is a huge mediocre quality slipknot tattoo

Herstory Begins Now has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Feb 3, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I kind of feel like that about all tattoos if I'm honest, but I get over it. People come with all sorts of physical oddities, tattoos aren't much different really other than that they are usually self inflicted and thus can sometimes signify some pretty big red flags about the person, but just "tattoo I don't personally like" is basically all tattoos so eh.

Eventually I either stop paying attention or they just integrate into the general person-ness of the person and assuming I like the person (I assume I do if railing is involved) they gain a kind of positive association as a result.

Yeah pretty much this. If it's really, really bad, presumably you already picked up on the various other red flags before things progressed that far. Otherwise, idk, unless you're looking specifically at individual tattoos, I think most peoples' tattoos get taken as a whole, eg that 'they're tattooed' rather than the distinct composition of each specific piece. Similar to the cheerleader effect, a bunch of mediocre tattoos can become a non-descript bunch of tattoos where nothing really pulls the eye in for a better look.

it's actually weird how much they blend into your conception of the person. I could draw my SO's individual tattoos quite accurately, but I actually probably could not accurately place each of them correctly if push came to shove.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Somewhat serious, somewhat casual/comedy question. I know we've got inked people here, as well as artists, so maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.

Let's say I meet this guy, we hit it off, but he's wearing a turtleneck or a gaiter or something so I haven't seen this tat. We go back to my place, he takes his shirt off, and... the hell am I making out with a dude with this loving face staring at me!

How do people have sex with someone with a nasty rear end portrait staring at them? All I can think of is that woman on r/relationships who wanted to know AITA since her boyfriend got a giant portrait of his dead brother on his chest. Like, how do you ever expect to get laid again? Are there people that find that attractive? Anyone got good stories of getting down the first time with someone, you see their ink and are suddenly all "uh, I think I left the oven on" and splitting?

Same goes for a lot of ink, like the "teehee, I got an anime girl spreading her legs so my belly button looks like her rear end in a top hat" or the Family Guy "my nips are their dicks" stuff. But even if that drag queen portrait was good (which it is not) I would not be able to even kiss that dude, let alone let him rail me missionary style with that poo poo bobbing to and fro my face.

despite what you'd probably think, most people who are getting weird tattoos get the weird tattoos somewhere fairly visible. not always, but a lot of the time if you're legit weird enough to get some bizarre tattoo that many people might find offputting, you're often getting it somewhere visible enough cuz if you're a freak then you might as well fly the flag or something, yknow?

i feel like the people hiding tattoos are usually hiding pretty mundane stuff that they're hiding due to a general perception that they'll be judged for having been tattooed. dudes with a huge hentai spread probably have a bunch of other questionable tattoos in visible areas already.

drag queen tattoo guy is a good example of this (albeit i find those to be not even on the same level as someone getting hentai tattoos or whatever): he's got them plastered all over. So if you meet that dude, even if you haven't seen a specific one, you've probably already intuited that if he takes his clothes off you're going to be seeing more drag queen tattoos of questionable quality

Herstory Begins Now has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Feb 13, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Even the fixed version still has multiple crimes against anatomy

(left bicep and random extra front delt i'm looking at u, also let's not even talk about what's going on with the legs)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I watched some super shut-in looking guy get a huge ankle to knee hentai spread tattooed on his lower leg while I was getting tattooed at a convention once. I like a lot of weird, unsettling, or even unpleasant to look at tattoos, but I completely do not get why tf you would get a huge hentai thing in a very visible spot.

A really loving stupid tattoo idea and $1500 in cash is a very bad combination around a tattoo artist with bills that need to be paid

wheatpuppy posted:

Faster and easier to just look for the tattoo, especially if it's a rescue dog not chill with being handled.

Yeah my dog had a little S tattooed on her belly when I got her from a shelter. She is very much not a fan of being touched by strangers, so yeah checks out.

Herstory Begins Now has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

If someone brought me a drawing and misspelled it I would not feeling obligated to correct it.
But you better have that original drawing.

yeah you ask some general 'you sure you want this? it might get some reactions?' at the design stage --> then you put the stencil on, double check 'this is what you want, yeah? no changes? placement looks good?' --> tattoo it because they asked for it, are paying money for it, and have repeatedly affirmed that it is what they want

Herstory Begins Now has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Apr 11, 2024