Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
How the heck would you build an onigiri around an amorphous wet lump of curry, anyway? Is that even possible? The only thing I can think of is if you froze a big pile of curry and made the onigiri while it was still frozen solid. (I know, it's a cartoon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for stuff like curry bread they use curry which has a lot less liquid. the same effect could be achieved by just cooking all the liquid away.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Or just make a slurry of corn or potato starch enough so that when the curry cools, it retains its shape. Mold it, wrap some sticky rice around it - boom, curry onigiri.

My wife loves onigiri and Japanese curry, so I may try this with a small experimental set-aside next time we do curry.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Scully's a jerk.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
those quarry workers must have stunningly bad eyesight

like it's one thing for the security personnel to be sort of bad, i can kinda get it? they're heavily armed but not much more than well-equipped night guards, probably the most they actually do on their jobs is making sure schoolkids don't wander into military hardware, so it makes sense for them not to know what the hell to do when faced with a Solid Snake supersoldier mofo

but goddamn he was pointing that assault rifle at those quarry guys for a solid minute and pulling the trigger over and over and you'd think they'd notice what he was up to sooner

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeh they're totally building up ken as a amnesiac infiltrator, and he's going to get reactivated at some point

alien lady is going to turn up as an infiltrator on their own. and holy crap, security is lax, there should be no civilians within several miles. surely the aliens can tap and decode something as elementary as video feeds

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

yeh they're totally building up ken as a amnesiac infiltrator, and he's going to get reactivated at some point

alien lady is going to turn up as an infiltrator on their own. and holy crap, security is lax, there should be no civilians within several miles. surely the aliens can tap and decode something as elementary as video feeds

I think it's a bait and switch. His princess was the alien.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I'm betting on something like the Balmarians from SRW.

For context: Their first mobile oppression platform that came to Earth was basically a drone; any living beings that "staffed" it were kidnapped and brainwashed. The actual people who built it didn't show up until way later.

e: I'm also willing to buy that any of Ken or Yukina's family are aliens because they have that blue/green tint to their hair. Any other anime hair in the series is either extraterrestrial or I could believe is just dye.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 29, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Will orange haired dude get to that longarm they captured, and accidentally imprint on it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Kennosuke was really a samurai, he wouldn't have recognized the blue hair dude. Everything indicates that this is the first time this particular group of aliens have visited earth. Different people were in the advance party. I guess it is vaguely possible that all of them are brainwashed samurai, and that the bunch in orbit have also been in stasis but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Like, why go through all that extra trouble if they were already present when the macguffin blew up?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Kennosuke was really a samurai, he wouldn't have recognized the blue hair dude. Everything indicates that this is the first time this particular group of aliens have visited earth. Different people were in the advance party. I guess it is vaguely possible that all of them are brainwashed samurai, and that the bunch in orbit have also been in stasis but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Like, why go through all that extra trouble if they were already present when the macguffin blew up?

Kennosuke being an alien doesn't explain them being identical to humans. Blue-haired guy was convinced only aliens can control the robots, but it seems the nano-machine fuckery is what makes it possible since that's the only difference. So only blue-haired guy's wrong statement about the technology and Kennosuke having seen him/his doppelganger before is speaking for Kennosuke being an alien.
The aliens are also abducting people for unknown reasons. So maybe people got abducted during Kennosuke's time, as during the flashback, the aliens were already active. Those people got sent back, then the princess somehow got the Black Relic and the invasion blew up.
It takes some time to travel back and forth, so that's why they only show up now.

As for the potty mouth:
He didn't refer to the guns as "Pussy", but "Lovers".

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I figured that the princess was one of the aliens since she stole the relic, and her blood oath with Kennosuke was a large factor in allowing him to pilot the robot.

It'd be kind of nice if Ken was just a regular samurai, but I guess we'll see!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nondevor posted:

I figured that the princess was one of the aliens since she stole the relic, and her blood oath with Kennosuke was a large factor in allowing him to pilot the robot.

The aliens don't seem like the sort to come up with an elaborate fake samurai back story.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Nondevor posted:

yeah this is what i'm thinking is the case. they'll probably build Ken up as something of a red herring when really it's more likely that it's Yukina who's the sleeper agent

in other news - did we just get this show's Char at the end there

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeah this is what i'm thinking is the case. they'll probably build Ken up as something of a red herring when really it's more likely that it's Yukina who's the sleeper agent

in other news - did we just get this show's Char at the end there

That's the more reserved and professional of the two female Efidolg knights. Who I suspect might actually be Kennosuke's princess under that mask.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's my theory, kennosuke is human cause he has black hair and the aliens all got crazy hair colours

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OddObserver posted:

The aliens don't seem like the sort to come up with an elaborate fake samurai back story.

The aliens didn't. If Kennosuke's memories were altered it was done in order to fight against the advance party.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
What the heck is the deal with the silly masks and armor suits, anyway? They look ridiculous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

esselfortium posted:

What the heck is the deal with the silly masks and armor suits, anyway? They look ridiculous.

Presumably some future plot point will hinge on a secret alien. I don't think one will be the princess or another princess lookalike, though. Fusnarnie barely reacted to Yukina.

Also, it is amazingly dumb how Scully grilled Kennosuke because the unmasked pilots didn't look like his crude drawing of a guy in a mask.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Ken's sword was noted as having an "User ID-system", guessing its like the guns in MGS4 in that it wont work for anyone but the person its "registered" to. How can he use the sword if its just stolen tech? It has to be his originally, I'm betting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Demicol posted:

Ken's sword was noted as having an "User ID-system", guessing its like the guns in MGS4 in that it wont work for anyone but the person its "registered" to. How can he use the sword if its just stolen tech? It has to be his originally, I'm betting.

The robots produces the swords. He already had one that broke and the robot replaced it. Even if Ken was not the original pilot (I still think he probably was), it would still make a sword for him. It is kind of strange how a robot with two pilots only makes swords for one of them, though.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
How do you lock someone out of using a sword? Does it just not cut things if user login fails?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AtheistMantis posted:

How do you lock someone out of using a sword? Does it just not cut things if user login fails?

The edge glows when he's holding it. Presumably it's just blunt when it's not glowing like that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its got some kind of power field within it that cuts through ordinary materials and reprograms smart materials to deactivate

disable that and its probably a blunt stick

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

its got some kind of power field within it that cuts through ordinary materials and reprograms smart materials to deactivate

disable that and its probably a blunt stick

They revealed in last week's episode that it was a vibroweapon. So if you shut off its power source, it's presumably just a very sharp sword rather than a supreme cutting instrument.

The scabbard may be user-locked, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure it is just a regular sword while locked. Regular swords are completely useless for a civilization that can send out armies of autonomous robots.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So all Efidolg knights have red pupils.
This speaks for them being clones/brainwashed as the "new" character introduced this week doesn't have them in earlier iterations.
It also suggests that Kennosuke is just the way he is.

Translation notes:
The chemical explosives are actually supposed to be sodium metal. Going full Youtube viral!

Also the explanation text before the preview:
"Because it has a lot of legs, this one is called Spider... this isn't the time to give explanations! Kennosuke!"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Called it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man Kennousuke sure does get stabbed a lot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:siren: Breaking News: Kuromukuro episodes 1-13 are now on netflix. Yes, that's right 13, so if that's an option for you now's the time to watch. Which is what i'm going to do, shortly.

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/749913274972385280

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 4, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

drat it Yukina, i want to hear Ken's cosplay opinions.

E: That cliffhanger.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 4, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Finished this and really enjoyed it. The "twists" can generally be seen coming from a mile away, and the UN is kinda dumb, but thoroughly enjoyed the show aside from the abrupt end. It's also super weird that there's sometimes an extra scene after the credits, but not always, which made the opening of episode 12 or 13 pretty confusing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Presumably some future plot point will hinge on a secret alien. I don't think one will be the princess or another princess lookalike, though. Fusnarnie barely reacted to Yukina.

Also, it is amazingly dumb how Scully grilled Kennosuke because the unmasked pilots didn't look like his crude drawing of a guy in a mask.

ha, my predictions for this show are even worse than usual

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ufarn posted:

Finished this and really enjoyed it. The "twists" can generally be seen coming from a mile away, and the UN is kinda dumb, but thoroughly enjoyed the show aside from the abrupt end. It's also super weird that there's sometimes an extra scene after the credits, but not always, which made the opening of episode 12 or 13 pretty confusing.

its 26 episodes man

also where the hell are the gg subs, 2 weeks behind now!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

its 26 episodes man

also where the hell are the gg subs, 2 weeks behind now!

So the last two episodes I saw weren't subbed by gg? That explains why pottymouth has been so tame with his expletives.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's gg (who's 2 behind) there's Netflix (only up thru 13) and a third group as well? drat.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anybody still keeping up with this show?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

krnhotwings posted:

Anybody still keeping up with this show?

I haven't stayed with it week to week since gg dropped it, even though a) i really like it and b) someone else is doing subs.

But, i intend to watch the hell out of it once the second half is up on netflix. No, this doesn't really make much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I have, and I sense bad things in Carlos's future.

• Locked thread