Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Netflix's "ONLY BATCHES" approach is really weird. I wonder if there's any real hard math behind it? Maybe I'm an alien for enjoying shows on a weekly basis instead of binge-watching (not that I DON'T binge watch but I don't prefer it)

The show continues to be good but I get a real feeling it's kind of just spinning it's wheels. The two main points to reveal at this point are what happened to Yukina's dad and what is the nature of the aliens, but I really get the feeling they're dragging their feet in attempting to save that stuff for the end so it'll be extra climactic

Still, though, the hijinx of these stupid anime teens are their incompetent adult supervisors is way better than most shows where I can split the cast into those two categories, so it's not bad. Just... feels like they're stalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Did the subs get better? I tried the subs for episode 17 (not sure which version) and they were dire.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Droyer posted:

Did the subs get better? I tried the dubs for episode 17 (not sure which version) and they were dire.

They're passable if you want a general sense of what's going on, but the grammar is *dire*.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Netflix's "ONLY BATCHES" approach is really weird. I wonder if there's any real hard math behind it? Maybe I'm an alien for enjoying shows on a weekly basis instead of binge-watching (not that I DON'T binge watch but I don't prefer it)

Well, the sorta nice thing about batches for their /other/ shows is that you can choose how to watch them. Binge if you want, or parcel them out over a week or a month or whatever.
The problem for anime is of course that by the time they get all the episodes, they've all already aired elsewhere, which is disappointing.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

a kitten posted:

I haven't stayed with it week to week since gg dropped it, even though a) i really like it and b) someone else is doing subs.

But, i intend to watch the hell out of it once the second half is up on netflix. No, this doesn't really make much sense.

Who else is doing the subs?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Viola the Mad posted:

I think it's just an "anon", it'll pop up if you search on nyaa.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Viola the Mad posted:

Usually, some anon will post up sub files to be used with ohys or leopard raws on Friday, and somebody'll have made an mkv by Saturday.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
drat, we're finally gettin' to the meat of this story!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Everything is getting ready for the showdown and we get a hint at what's the deal with Alien Yukihime.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
well holy poo poo that was a lot more brutal than i thought it would be

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gyra_Solune posted:

well holy poo poo that was a lot more brutal than i thought it would be
:rip:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zel is a cool dude and surprisingly handsome.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So who do you think's eventually going to off Mirasa? She seems to have racked up a ridiculously huge list of people with grudges against her.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

So who do you think's eventually going to off Mirasa? She seems to have racked up a ridiculously huge list of people with grudges against her.

She'll probably get herself killed since she's pretty the only one left bearing a grudge.
There was also a surprising amount of death flags. I hope it overloaded the system.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
guess we're taking back that :rip:

ALSO, how on earth did I not notice this two weeks ago, I can't believe Man At Arms even did this (though they were specifically poked by PA Works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q598DP27tGA

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite part is how after they demonstrated how competent and knowledgeable they were throughout the entire crafting process, they looked like huge goobers when they started chopping things.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

guess we're taking back that :rip:

ALSO, how on earth did I not notice this two weeks ago, I can't believe Man At Arms even did this (though they were specifically poked by PA Works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q598DP27tGA

I'd be more upset at such a cheap reversal of one of the good guys' biggest losses, but Sebastian's comeback was so gloriously ridiculous that I just can't be mad at the writers for it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Serious Frolicking posted:

my favorite part is how after they demonstrated how competent and knowledgeable they were throughout the entire crafting process, they looked like huge goobers when they started chopping things.

i like to think that's sort of accurate for blacksmiths, like, they're just the dudes who make the sword, they're not the people trained how to use it!

but that's probably not true, i imagine in ancient times where you have bandits and thieves and poo poo more commonly running around, and the stuff you're making is ludicrously valuable and resource-intensive for the time, that weaponsmiths took the time to actually learn at least the basics of how to fend off ruffians and maybe hold their own against disgruntled professional soldiers

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

i like to think that's sort of accurate for blacksmiths, like, they're just the dudes who make the sword, they're not the people trained how to use it!

but that's probably not true, i imagine in ancient times where you have bandits and thieves and poo poo more commonly running around, and the stuff you're making is ludicrously valuable and resource-intensive for the time, that weaponsmiths took the time to actually learn at least the basics of how to fend off ruffians and maybe hold their own against disgruntled professional soldiers

Probably not, I'd think.

One of the hallmarks of medieval society was the guild system. Basically, every blacksmith you'd be likely to meet was at least on speaking terms with every other blacksmith you were likely to meet, and if you hosed one of them over, the rest would hate you, and congratulations on only getting poo poo armor for the rest of your life.

Generally, if you made yourself indispensable, it was less likely you'd need to actually fight people for them to know why they didn't gently caress with you.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

What a serene penultimate episode. It looks like they are setting up a sequel?
Yukina still has to go to Mars.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
god one of the best things about this show is how well it keeps hooking me in. this is literally the only show I've ever seen where I'm 25 episodes in and I still am fascinated by where they're going with this, usually by this point pretty much everything's answered and the finale is a foregone conclusion. but even this far in we're still getting lovely moments of characterization and this is a perfect demonstration of that. the big finale has come and gone and now they're taking time to like, deal with that, and what the hell everyone is going to do with their lives afterwards

it's really great. gently caress this is a really good show. i'm going be so pissed if it just fades away into obscurity because it has all the hallmarks of an utterly fantastic piece of fiction that only ever achieves cult classic status, kind of like Gun X Sword and stuff like that.

like when i made this thread even it was mostly under the pretext of 'hey i basically have an amusing thread title for a show that is kind of fun, why not' and it's just kept surprising me

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 28, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Thematically, this show is less about cool robofights and the existential threat of alien invasions, and more about asking yourself "how do you find meaning in your life". Which explains all the episodes of the characters loving around with little care in the world, and the casual victory over the aliens a few eps ago, and here: the actual emotional climax of the show.

The final scenes were very cute.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also we still gotta resolve the plot point on why yukina is a clone of yukihime and has an irresistible compulsion to go to spaaaace

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

also we still gotta resolve the plot point on why yukina is a clone of yukihime and has an irresistible compulsion to go to spaaaace

~Nanomachines~

Really, Yukihime might have survived and she might be Yukina's grandmother or something similar.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

PA Works, you are better working on season two :argh:

Waiting for more feedback once Netflix releases the last thirteen episodes.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
This really, really needs another season.

I tailed off after gg stopped doing it, but caught back up in the last couple of weeks. This show is great and I want more. MORE!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
while i think there are potential stories to be told from zeru's home planet, i also think that enough is said, and further adventures are best left to our imagination

also, the efidolg are a bunch of technobarbarians, give this technology to a bunch of hyperaggressive short-lived apes with clever ideas such as "launch projectiles from as far a range as possible", and they'll kick the rear end of these idiots. whatever algorithm is driving the efidolg expansion is so incompetent that it can't iterate such a design, and must constantly raid planets looking for promising military minds to clone and indoctrinate

and im glad the reverse engineered efidolg technology has successfully stabilised the political situation. also, i think this is the only time ive seen pla troops depicted positively in anim

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

A sequel will never happen, because the characters are now too old to go to school, and we just can't have an anime with adults.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Can't imagine a PA Works show about adults.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Motto posted:

Can't imagine a PA Works show about adults.

Shirobako?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Tamba posted:

A sequel will never happen, because the characters are now too old to go to school, and we just can't have an anime with adults.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal or something.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Tamba posted:

That reminds me that I need to finish watching Legend of Black Heaven at some point.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

They were high school girls in the first episode, doesn't count

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

They were high school girls in the first episode, doesn't count

Yukina and Kennosuke will stay at highschool age forever thanks to nanomachines.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Lurking Haro posted:

Yukina and Kennosuke will stay at highschool age forever thanks to nanomachines.

anime will do everything in its power to not star adults, drat it all

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Concrete Revolutio takes place across the lead's 20s.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 2, 2016

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I finally finished this series and while it kept me relatively hooked, I'd still call it one of those "really good mediocre" shows that I don't feel compulsive about. Two things I liked the most were how "grunts" weren't completely useless and some scenes like figuring out communication when you're inside a force field that only lets visible light pass through it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just got an e-mail that the second season is on Netflix. :neckbeard:

A nice palate-cleanser after the presidential debate.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Binging through the rest on Netflix, I can't believe they managed to fit in a school episode after everything goes pear-shaped. What a fun series this has been.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This show is still so good! This week, er episode: Ken learns to shop online.

e: hope that didn't sound sarcastic, I seriously like it a lot.

• Locked thread