Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

If you don't particularly care about quality and developing yourself, you can still get (35mm) colour negatives developed quickly and (comparatively) cheaply in pharmacies etc. Black & white is getting more difficult, since fewer and fewer places are able to develop them, so they will usually send them to a laboratory somewhere (there are also a few that can be developed with the colour chemicals/process, though they are not quite as good as "proper" b&w films -- Ilford makes one that is alright, though). My girlfriend's father started sending his b&w negatives to a lab in California directly, because it has become marginally cheaper than having somebody local deal with it (who would also only send it off either way). I have no idea what the situation is like for anything other than 35mm, but I presume it only gets worse there.

Develop your own B&W, you're just throwing money away if you send them off. You should be able to set yourself up with all the equipment & chems you need plus some film for under $100.

There's at least a few places here in town that develop C-41 in-house, both 35mm and 120. If you don't have any local shops that do it, Citizen's Photo in Portland OR does a good job for pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

Sure, as soon as a I have a bathroom big enough to do developing in. :rolleyes: Until then, it's either colour film or the Ilford XP2.

Pictured: the incredibly spacious bathroom in which I develop my film

I load the film onto the reels using a darkbag in my living room, then bring the tank in here for dev. Put the toilet seat down and there's plenty of room to set your jugs of chemicals. I set the tank on that little shelf above the sink when the developer's in. Graduated cylinders get set down wherever there's room.

Printing, now that takes place in the little spare room next to the bathroom, because it needs more space (my enlarger is particularly massive), but development needs hardly any room at all.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DJExile posted:

that's amazing and sounds wonderfully over-engineered

actually sounds simpler to me than trying to vary the drum speed.

• Locked thread