Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

My dad has a couple of soviet cameras from back in the day. One's a Zenith and the other is some sort of Lubitel or something that looks like it, it's been years since I last saw it. I remember shooting with the Zenith a bit when I was a kid, shooting fully manually was pretty fun even though I had a very basic understanding of how the exposure is supposed to work. I was particularly fond of the self-timer buzz when activated.

Unfortunately the cameras are all stuck in some storage somewhere so I haven't been able to get them, otherwise I'd be all over that stuff. How's the film/development situation nowadays?

If you don't particularly care about quality and developing yourself, you can still get (35mm) colour negatives developed quickly and (comparatively) cheaply in pharmacies etc. Black & white is getting more difficult, since fewer and fewer places are able to develop them, so they will usually send them to a laboratory somewhere (there are also a few that can be developed with the colour chemicals/process, though they are not quite as good as "proper" b&w films -- Ilford makes one that is alright, though). My girlfriend's father started sending his b&w negatives to a lab in California directly, because it has become marginally cheaper than having somebody local deal with it (who would also only send it off either way). I have no idea what the situation is like for anything other than 35mm, but I presume it only gets worse there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

Develop your own B&W, you're just throwing money away if you send them off. You should be able to set yourself up with all the equipment & chems you need plus some film for under $100.

There's at least a few places here in town that develop C-41 in-house, both 35mm and 120. If you don't have any local shops that do it, Citizen's Photo in Portland OR does a good job for pretty cheap.

Sure, as soon as a I have a bathroom big enough to do developing in. :rolleyes: Until then, it's either colour film or the Ilford XP2.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Helen Highwater posted:

Today's valuable acquisition is a 1988 Zenit 12FS. Which would be a fairly dull late-Soviet 35mm SLR except that the FS in the name stands for FotoSnaiper. It's a camera that is guaranteed to get you shot by the police if you try and use it, and taken aside for some TSA funtimes if you ever try and travel with it. The idea is pretty sound, the KMZ factory which made the massively popular line of Zenit cameras, also made the Tair 300mm lens which is ideal for taking pictures of distant wildlife. It's lovely and sharp, 300mm gets you right close to the action and it opens relatively wide (f/4.5) for a lens of its vintage. The bad news is that the thing weighs about 4 kilos. Not only is that a lot for a photographer to try and keep steady, it's also a lot for the lens ring on the camera body to support. So some bright spark in Krasnogorsk came up with the idea of mounting the camera and lens onto a rifle stock. The camera is specially adapted so that it can be triggered from a pin underneath the body as well as by the usual top-mounted shutter-button and the lens has a unique underbarrel focus control. It comes in a specially designed box with a bunch of accessories including a filter set, a 52mm f/2 lens (the same one that came with almost every other Zenit camera) and a folding stock (really!)

Mine is complete, works perfectly but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try using it.

1988 Zenit 12 Fotosnaiper by Iain Compton, on Flickr

If you do use it and if the police does shoot you, at least you might get some good photos of it.

• Locked thread