Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

I rock a Pentacon Six most of the time, and I like it a lot. Film loading can be a little finicky which leads to spacing issues but otherwise it's a sweet camera and the Zeiss aus Jena glass made for it is really nice stuff. That lens is the 180mm f2.8 and it is a beautiful thing, although it does weigh roughly half a tonne. Actually so does the camera itself - weight is probably its main disadvantage, however it is also my go to mountaineering camera because both body and lenses will withstand rather ungentle treatment no bother. I've bashed mine against rocks, had it in the snow, dropped it while scrambling, got it covered in sand, and it just keeps on going shot after shot.

Also the Helios lenses are cool, I got a couple on eBay for my ME Super and one came with a free Zenit attached to it. Have to admit I've never actually tried using the camera though.

As another P6 owner I have nothing to add to this, except, despite its weight, it is still one of the lightest 6x6 systems (http://www.pentaconsix.com/TheCameras.htm, scroll towards the end). While the weight is not inconsiderable, I find that P6 with 80mm Biometar lens is not that much (if at all) heavier than my Canon 30D with 24-105 L lens.

I was thinking of getting Kiev 60 metering prism, but I do not mind carrying an external meter (btw, I use this meter, which despite being ancient selenium meter, is still spot on). And I too prefer WLF, which probably has to do with my TTL prism not workin, and both TTL and regular prisms being pretty dark and not covering whole frame.

I'll now go and take some pictures of all the eastern bloc stuff I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just wait until you start paying attention in which factory it was produced: http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/logos/

• Locked thread