Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
So I just got the film itch back (sorta ashamed to admit it was the Lomography instant automat kickstarter that reignited my interest)

Snagged myself a Zenit 11 with Helios 44-2(seems to function, only flaw I noticed is a vertical line which seems to be in the viewfinder prism and not on the mirror or anywhere in the lightpath to the film, but I'm struggling to find a 1 hour lab anywhere in my city to actually see, and still intimidated by the thought of processing). It's a heavy beast but I like how it feels
Also got a cheapo Focal 135
Waiting on an MC 3M-5CA mirrored telephoto

I saw the fotosnaipers, I sorta want one but then I don't want to get shot in the other way.

[also just because it's so adorable, snuck in my new zoom 110]

Edit: Found a 1 hour shop nearby and it works! The Helios seems to live up to its reputation, once you get out of the focal plane everything softens up really beautifully.

John Denver Hoxha fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

One thing I've noticed that is interesting is the huge number of variants down to the minor detail of whether labels are written in cyrillic/latin script.
I've had a Smena where the nameplate says it in both scripts but it says "Made in USSR" in english, and my Zenit 11 is the same way. The Helios is all in latin script.

I have seen variants of all of those that are all latin, all cyrillic, and pretty much every permutation. Pretty wacky

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

The MC 3M-5CA [or SA depending on your script] is a beast. While this 500 mm [F/8 fixed] mirrored telephoto is not particularly long (and surprisingly light) it seems like it should kick some rear end. Definitely a lot less of a bullet magnet than a fotosnaiper (as awesome as I find that concept). I will definitely need a tripod for this one. Condition seems fine besides some cosmetic scratches (glass is clear and I can get it into razor focus)

And talking about the Helios being awesome, wanted to post some of the softening I was talking about (I think i need a UV filter?). It almost looks painted

• Locked thread