Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

You could add Johnny Mnemonic by William Gibson, its very short but it packs a lot of crazy, and it has Molly from Neuromancer. Oh and if you saw the film its worth reading just to see what crazy stuff was in the source and what was added to bump up the screen play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Surprised no one has mentioned Philip K. Dick yet. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is obvious, but I'd argue that A Scanner Darkly is light cyberpunk, and my preferred of the two.

Other than that I don't have a whole lot to mention that wasn't already brought up. The Detective's Tale in Hyperion was a dope cyberpunk section of a novel, if that counts. I'll be watching this tread closely - I've been meaning to get into more of this stuff.

Aye Philip is usually reliable. I've read Flow my Tears the Policeman Said, and its very interesting though a bit light on the cyber aspects though there are flying cars and a corrupt world police state is the setting.

Oh and you might like The Running Man (no the film really isn't representative of the book) by Stephen King Richard Bachman again its light on cyber aspects but the setting a corrupt police state with choking pollution and an omnipresent mass media pitting human beings against each other for ratings makes it a close relative. And the ending is pure unadulterated punk, it could've been used as Dead Kennedys album cover.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I'm a fan of King but I've never read the Bachman stuff - been meaning to get around to The Running Man for a while. Didn't realize that it had those elements to be honest, I didn't really know much about it aside from the game show aspect. Framing it in the light you did though, it seems obvious, and makes me more interested.

Yea the Running Man is something very different. To expand on it without giving much a way the setup is that the media runs various brutal game shows and all contestants willingly volunteer due to crippling unemployment and poverty, hell its gotten so bad that the television company had to setup a rigorous screening process to make sure they get some candidates capable of putting on a good show, out of the thousands whom apply. They all die eventually and the contestants all know this but the longer they last and the better show they put on the more money they raise for their dependents.

While the protagonist is on the run he finds out bits and pieces of just how hosed up and rotten the country's gotten in addition to the blood sports.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A human heart posted:

Nice, a book barn thread that doesn't even pretend to have discussion and is just pyf crap for babies right from the start

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol,

Anyway if anyones on a William Gibson trip I you should probably also check out Idoru, the biography of Hatusne Miku it ticks most of the stereotypical classic cyberpunk tropes, VR internet, incredibly smart computer programs, rampant crime, social alienation, nerds living dangerous and exciting lives, Japan is a super power, all powerful mafia's (though funnily enough Gibson decided the make the only novel of his set in actual Japan riddled with Russian Mafya's and the Yakuza are completely absent) and generallyl tech based weirdness.

Major characters include, a teenage fangirl, a boyband star, some programmer nerd, an Otaku ala the 1990's (anime is also used as an adjective) and key plot points happen in a love hotel and a wacky nightclub. Its a bit like one of those novels based on the authors holiday from hell, only you know in the future.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

God Of Paradise posted:

I'm a guy who loves Gibson but finds most of the work that came after him pretty derivative. What's more interesting to me is what came before Gibson.

I recommend Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by PKD, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison, Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami and Roadside Picnic by the Stragatzky Brothers. I also think Down and Out In The Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow, and the Transmetropoliton comic by Warren Ellis are great reads. I also believe the short fiction of Bruce Sterling is worthwhile, especially Our Neural Chernobyl.

I'm seconding the recommendation for The Stars My Destination (also known as Tiger Tiger in Britain) I finished it this morning and its great. It was written in the fifties but most of the big names from the 80's cyberpunk circles cite it as an inspiration, including William Gibson. It has a violent anti hero, who comes from the gutter, a solar system carved up by corporations and brutal police forces have a limitless reach, and its ending is the most anti authoritarian in tone and message I've ever read.

• Locked thread