Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Pvt.Scott posted:

What's with Derek Smart? Why do they even care about him. Isn't he the guy that made the terrible Battlecruiser games? Are they afraid of his legacy as a space sim juggernaut?

The tl;dr is that he made a blog stating a bunch of problems he saw with the project (in typical Derek Smart fashion). When CIG refunded him as a result, he got serious and started a little one-man crusade to dig in and uncover as much behind the project as possible (since his main complain was lack of transparency with backer money). Goons welcomed him with open arms, and after The Escapist article that he had nothing to do with, Chris Roberts declared Smart the official face of all detractors for Star Citizen and target for his cultists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

I admit this looks bad but one persons mistakes shouldn't reflect poorly on the entire 300 person company.

Think of it more as the tip of the iceberg, since they've already been facing accusations of nepotism (how lesnick got his job in the first place), mismanagement, racism, and just generally poor working conditions that pay below the industry standard.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

dans posted:

It's all super innocent, we were just a bunch of weirdo Wing Commander IRC babies with too much time on our hands, we had lots of time saved up from not dating to come up with really dumb in-jokes that just sort of perpetuated themselves. We had a rule that we had to say "shields up!" whenever Brooke Shields came on TV so we started saying it in the late 1990s, then it became the 2000s, and now here we are in 2016 and just a few days ago by force of habit I said "shields up" because I thought I saw Brooke Shields on TV.
This is all intensely stupid and that weird kind of innocent bullshit that comes from a bunch of weirdos with nothing better to do than try to make each other laugh. Like a vaguely-Wing Commander-themed FYAD before there were the SA forums.

Let's take this at face value. Let's say that in the 4 years between saying some of this horrible poo poo (while working at a school) and getting employed as the face of CIG, Ben Lesnick grew up mentally at least half as much as he did literally as a person.

Why does he not see anything wrong with this poo poo being still up? Why does he say that he still find the 'jokes' funny?

Makes you think.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Didn't the other one get taken down by mass reporting?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Maldoror posted:

The framed pic represents a meme from his past that was funny to him and his friends.

It would be like someone framing a pic of barnacle jim, then taking a picture of it in their room, then years later having the pic discovered and you lose your job because it's discovered you have a framed picture of a piece of poo poo in your bedroom and people are taking it out of context

I had nothing to do with these people so I don't know poo poo but I've seen enough poo poo where someone does or says or posts dumb poo poo (i've done it plenty of times myself) then it comes back out of context and everyone gangs up shouting pedo rapist etc. and no one can say anything now because if they do they're a pedo rapist etc. defender/apologist

oh no im a pedo rapist defender / apologist :sad:

Conspiratiorist posted:

Let's take this at face value. Let's say that in the 4 years between saying some of this horrible poo poo (while working at a school) and getting employed as the face of CIG, Ben Lesnick grew up mentally at least half as much as he did literally as a person.

Why does he not see anything wrong with this poo poo being still up? Why does he say that he still find the 'jokes' funny?

Makes you think.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I love webdog effortposts. Make you think.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pvt.Scott posted:

I certainly get that Chris Roberts has a passion for storytelling and especially seems compelled to work with cinema techniques and bring in Hollywood buddies, etc. Even the original Wing Commander game was largely framed as a movie, (Good ol' Bluehair) so why doesn't Roberts just make a loving movie and not some weird movie/game hybrid, as it has always felt that both halves got about half the attention they deserved in his games. Or was the Wing Commander movie actually his baby? If he had full creative control on that one, it would be best on the next go round to delegate to more experienced directors when needed and to take on advisors who he will listen to and are willing to tell him no. All I vaguely remember from the WC movie is some stupid necklace, a laughable rubbery kilrathi dude and that it was bad and boring.

The in-universe rag for the Tiger's Claw crew was the greatest thing when I was ten. I miss cool box inserts.

Serious question?

You got it right, the WC movie was his baby. Roberts has always wanted to be a director, and when the WC film flopped he just kept on producing for a few more years, likely waiting for his next chance, until Ascendant Pictures (his production house) went under due to insolvency after he balked out on a deal with Kevin Costner, at which point he got blacklisted by hollywood.

Since he can't make real movies anymore, he's trying to realize his dream through Squadron 42.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Breetai posted:

If a sane employer saw someone double down on a non-apology like that surely he would be fired.

This isn't a double down, it's a triple down.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Putty posted:

is the weird racist pedophile man destroyed yet

No media has picked it up yet so no. Makes you think.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

JB50 posted:

Thats because Nintendo is like a real company with an HR dept. and not a scam to bilk suckers.

I sometimes forget that Sandi is both head of marketing, head of HR, and wife of the CEO. Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

no they will not posted:

I did a little digging myself and have an addendum

Makes you think.

• Locked thread