Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Fae, how could anyone forget about Dr. Snake? I mean, really.

See also: "I can't tell the difference between babies and far away things."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Fae may have linked that twitter to me, but I immediately forgot. I will likely continue to do so because I have already peaked on Twitter.

Episode 06:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WELh8spI4s

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Those were some very rude flaps.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So aside from just trying out new mutations for variety, is there a gameplay reason to mutate a lot and often? Like, you had the GrayDark Scentaur form which destroyed the Parental Guardian Beast but you gave it up as soon as you hit the new area for a Pale form. I did notice that the game mentioned how many mutations you'd undergone when mating; does it affect how many females are attracted?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

FPzero posted:

So aside from just trying out new mutations for variety, is there a gameplay reason to mutate a lot and often? Like, you had the GrayDark Scentaur form which destroyed the Parental Guardian Beast but you gave it up as soon as you hit the new area for a Pale form. I did notice that the game mentioned how many mutations you'd undergone when mating; does it affect how many females are attracted?
Yes. Also every twentieth mutation is an EZ-Mutate, I think. Plus, more weird dogs.

Honestly it's kind of difficult to get into an unwinnable situation because with enough patience you can whittle down anything you can actually damage. So it doesn't hurt that much to go to a less powerful form.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Here you go.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Here you go.

That is clearly a beast, not a bear :colbert:. I actually did go look, because I couldn't remember, and there are no bears with horns in MtG. Sorry Fae.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

If it looks like a bear and squeaks like a bear and has googly eyes like a bear then it probably shits in the woods.

Q. E. D.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Casnorf posted:

If it looks like a bear and squeaks like a bear and has googly eyes like a bear then it probably shits in the woods.

Q. E. D.

I agree with Casnorf. This particular Weird Dog is clearly a Weird Dog of the Bear subtype.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I agree with Casnorf. This particular Weird Dog is clearly a Weird Dog of the Bear subtype.

But does it band with other Weird Dogs?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

All these herbibeasts really need some lessons in manners. And Grizzly casnorf is just the guy to teach'em.

Episode 07:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rebJp30M0TU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Here's lookin' at you, kid!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyve done it now
Motherfucker

They made googly eyes creepy.

poo poo

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Once more into the breach, dear friends!

Episode 08:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyZtYdYkisY

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dark Souls is super serious.

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

gently caress, you're even spending my money on stream and recordings now.

Though Fae did get it in one: stop drinking or stop talking. :)

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
So now you have to combine colours to become a beast of a particular family by meeting fixed colour combination criteriums

This game is something else alright. This is actually very clever if you want to maintain enough mutations to go through.

Angrboda
May 31, 2005

This LP is hilariously awesome!

(After the first episode was posted, I decided to look the game up on Ebay because it looked like fun. Then I saw the price. Nope. Nopenopenopenopenope. No.)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Demerine posted:

Though Fae did get it in one: stop drinking or stop talking. :)
Never!

Clash combinations are for all but Grey really simple, actually. What the game told us in rainbow heaven is generally true, and the order of rage colors doesn't really matter. For Grey, order matters, but Grey clash mutations are basically the best of their tiers. I may or may not get any, because I think it might be a bit tedious to diet plan and regrab and all that jazz to get the powerful mutations I'll just swap out of immediately to increment my mutation counter by one.

It seems like ebay prices are insane for this little gem of a game, and they probably are, but I can tell you I have thoroughly enjoyed just about every part of playing the game and making this goofy series of videos so far. That might make it worth it. Fortunately I already had a copy, haha.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Angrboda posted:

This LP is hilariously awesome!

(After the first episode was posted, I decided to look the game up on Ebay because it looked like fun. Then I saw the price. Nope. Nopenopenopenopenope. No.)

It's especially amusing because, as I said earlier, it only cost $20 on release. I guess it was a small print run, though.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

No really you guys, Dark Souls is the most serious of businesses.

VVV Oh my god. Alright, I know when I've been beaten.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 13, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

liquidypoo posted:

No really you guys, Dark Souls is the most serious of businesses.

Oh yes. Deathly serious.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

liquidypoo and I were talking on discord and now I am REALLY MAD

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Faerie Fortune posted:

liquidypoo and I were talking on discord and now I am REALLY MAD

...I don't understand.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I think if I make that joke again, Fae will actually hunt me down and throw me in the ocean :v:

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsS0cvTxU-8

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

...I don't understand.

I think it's a US politics joke that goes over your head and mine.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

It's a song reference.

See this link:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dinictus posted:

I think it's a US politics joke that goes over your head and mine.

Um, I'm American.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
See, when they said it, I was really hoping that wasn't it, but also, I'm not what you'd call "musically literate," so I couldn't remember for sure if it was The Clash, so I still had to look.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I thought it was a joke about the US legal system not liking LGBT people

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It turns out that both of my costars in this fun thread are going on vacation in successive weeks (specifically, the next two or three), so there will be a short hiatus while they go off and have fun without me. When we reconvene, the adventures of Chicky casnorf, birb par excellence.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

This game always hit a weird emotional chord with me, not sure how to describe it. Just hearing that drat piano...

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I hope this LP comes back! Please come back :ohdear:

I was using a staple remover the other day and had to clamp down on a staple a few times to line it up properly. I couldn't figure out what it was reminding me of at first, but it was Cubivore. :3: I had this game when it was current, and wow, I sure am glad I held on to it. It's a lot of fun watching you guys freak out as you experience it for the first time.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

you were warned posted:

I hope this LP comes back! Please come back :ohdear:
Ok, watch this space. All the vacations are complete that I know of, and we're just trying to coordinate across an ocean for a time to get back into the swing of things.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Are you watching that space?! Watch it closely! More closelier!

Casnorf has been inundated with reminders from both his commentators and mutual friends that Cubivore is good and needs to keep going, so it's super good to see people in the thread just as jazzed about it as we are :shobon:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I am continuing to watch this space.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm always jazzed to see Pigbearbird Cube eat every other cube, so I'll be watching all the spaces just to be sure.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
This space is being watched very closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
glad to see this is continuing! Cubivore is one of the few camecube games I wish I'd kept, despite beating it multiple times (and getting the cosmetic thing someone in the thread mentioned in the thread three times for each save file. I was....a little obsessed with this game tbh.)

That being said, are you actually going for 100% completion (all forms, including all the hidden ones) or just going to complete it? Either way, thanks for introducing people to my absolute favorite game on the gamecube.

Oh, and here's some fun facts about the game!

-It was co-developed by Saru Brunei (defunct developer that didn't do much) and Intelligent Systems (responsible for a lot of games, including Fire emblem and the Paper Mario series).

-The camera is bad due to it being an older game, but it was literally developed first for the Nintendo64DD, a disk drive add on for the 64 that only released in Japan. That's why the camera is so tightly controlled - it was made for the c-buttons first.

-The name of it in japanese is Dobutsu Banchou (literally 'Animal Gang/Thug Leader'). I believe in the original text, being the dobutsu banchou is what the cubivore says when he's first born (translated as 'king of all cubivores' in english). I'd actually have to look at the kanji though.

-It did poorly in Japan, to the point Nintendo went 'yeah, we're not releasing this in an english market.' Thankfully, Atlus of America intervened and went 'this is the kind of poo poo we want to publish' and managed to release it in November 2002, nearly a full year when it was first released (February 2002).

-The word they use for transformation in this game in japanese, to my knowledge, is weird (I.e not henshin, but a word meant for metamorphosis). It's also literally said 'hentai' in english. I'm not kidding.

-The names of the forms of our Cubivore in japanese all follow a four letter pattern in romanji (Buta, Kuma, Tori). They tried to keep the same sort of thing in english, but it doesn't work as well.

-mini mite, the first form in the game, doesn't really work that well when compared to the japanese name for it - you guessed it, the name for the first form in the game is 'Banchou.'

Nevileen fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 25, 2016

• Locked thread