Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best flash modifier?
Softlighter
Beauty Dish
Bedsheet taped to something
Octabank
Fleshlight
View Results

• Locked thread
The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
I email a Craigslist ad about video editor / camera man work. The guy sounds OK if not a little manic over the phone. He is shooting a documentary about a rising boxer. He asks me to come to the doc subject's home in Rhode Island (3 hr drive) the next day at 11 AM. I get there and the fucker is asleep. He's a 4'10 sweaty little balding fat jewish guy. He has incredibly nice gear, all $8K+ cameras and tons of SxS cards / lavs etc but it is all loving BEAT. He can't seem to think straight for more than 15 seconds. I help him shoot all day as he screams gibberish at me in his nasally voice and gets in the way of every single nice shot that I manage to set up. His subject openly disrepspects him, saying whatever non-family-friendly stuff all day ("I have to take a _SSSSSsHIT_ right now" stressing the poo poo really hard) and walking away from the camera and so on.

We go to a sparring match for the subject and he keeps insisting that I get IN THE RING to shoot incredibly built boxers that are jumping around whaling on each other. Outside, everyone I interview says the guy is a great guy, a little hard to work with, but OK. At the end of 12 hours of this he tries to say that he wants to pay me a day rate of $125, and I push back, saying $15/hr was agreed on over the phone, and that he's covering my gas for 300 miles of travel. He gets really pissy and says he'll pay whatever I charge him but it might mean no more work in the future. I say OK, let me know if you have anything else for me, close my hatch back and say goodbye.

2 minutes down the road he calls my phone, screaming that he wasn't able to get a ride from any of the people that were at the match back to the boxer's house (They all bailed on him). I whip back around and pick him up. He keeps screaming that I'm going the wrong way and I tell him that he needs to quiet down so I can hear my GPS. I get back to the house, unload his gear, and say goodbye again.

No surprise that he still hasn't paid the invoice.

The XKCD Larper fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

red19fire posted:

Yeah, my general rule for questionable CL gigs is either I get paid up front or before I leave set.

Good policy. I'm a noob to freelancing, I will probably start doing that.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Happy that I made my dumb long rear end post in here cuz I need it for reference :D he's calling today to see if we "can work something out"

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

red19fire posted:

Add interest to your invoice. gently caress that guy.

I've done the math but I'm not going to charge it or collections fees. I just wanna get loving paid already so I can pay my last mont's rent. Ive got a title 9 complaint open with his alma mater for the unsolicited touching and general creepiness

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Non Serviam posted:

What unsolicited touching?

I didn't wanna get in to it but basically he imposed physical closeness despite me saying "don't do that" and holding my arm out to not let him near me. Maybe 5-6 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm wondering why I didn't throw his EX1 at the ground as hard as possible and drive back home

• Locked thread