Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best flash modifier?
Softlighter
Beauty Dish
Bedsheet taped to something
Octabank
Fleshlight
View Results

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My biggest problem as a sort of "in-house" photographer/videographer is that most of my projects are literally last minute. It's very common for the co-owner to suddenly drop in my office announcing some unusual situation (like a foreign student who's taking a dozen classes with us while staying here for a month, or a meeting of important people) and demand pictures for social media. It did serve well as a crash course in semi-professional photography when I first started a few years ago, as I'd have no time to do much more than yank their Canon T5i out of the closet and try to get good shots right on the spot.

The most ridiculous was probably when we were donating our old crane simulator to a robotics institute in Alabama. They showed up with essentially a mobile robotics museum in a tractor trailer and had just enough space in the back to fit the simulator. I got asked to take photos, so I went out for a few hours to take pictures of them loading it up. I also decided to shoot some video just in case we needed the footage.

Practically as soon as I got back in, the co-owner who usually drags me into pet projects immediately asked if I could make a video for the occasion. She had no idea that I had filmed anything since she had just asked me to take some photos. She just assumed that it would be possible for me to take enough usable footage after the simulator had already been loaded and the truck ready to pull away to make the idea worthwhile. She was very lucky that I had filmed enough to stitch together something comprehensible AND that the lighting was fortuitously good enough in the truck that I had neat robot footage instead of needing to use a flash for everything because the office doesn't have lighting equipment and nothing would have fit in the trailer anyway.

It's worth it because as a contractor I have some freedom to change my pay and I get a higher rate for photo and video work for them. Whenever I have my day job put on hold to do photos or videos, I immediately switch my hourly rate for that bit of time to the higher one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

red19fire posted:

Or, he'd schedule me for 4 days, then cancel the 4th day at 6pm on the 3rd day, then bitch when I was charging him a kill fee for canceling on less than 24 hour notice.

About how prominent or talented of a professional do you think you need to be to get away with being tough with customers and other workers? I can see a lot of assistants being scared to do things like charge late fees and cancellation fees, or play hardball with a client who's being stingy about payment.

For what it's worth, I've been trying to get people at my workplace to be more tough on customers than they have been. Constantly making deals and exceptions and working your rear end off overtime to fix customers' mistakes for them has only been a problem for us.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For that matter, did you sign a contract with them or did you just make a verbal agreement?

• Locked thread