Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best flash modifier?
Softlighter
Beauty Dish
Bedsheet taped to something
Octabank
Fleshlight
View Results

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As someone who only takes pictures of things that can't sign a release form (rocks and animals, mainly) what does TFP stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

red19fire posted:

Trade For Prints, some people also use TFCD as Trade for CD (of all images from a shoot). Ostensibly it's supposed to be a trade of professional services for a common goal. I.E., both you and the model (and/or stylist, HMUA, etc) all get great pictures for your portfolios. And it works if everyone's at the same 'level,' so to speak. I sound like an rear end, but I'm at the level where I get no benefit from shooting a brand new model wannabe, that's why they should be paying me, the 'benefit' scale is tipped way in their favor.

In the modern era it's been twisted into meaning 'work for free'. Or for 'exposure'. Or any kind of job in which someone wants a service but doesn't want to pay for it, similar to unpaid internships where you're doing the job of an employee. Just out of control egos, people who don't have much to offer thinking this mythical element of 'exposure' is compensation enough.

For real examples, the casting call page on Model Mayhem is incredible. I've been proposition to shoot a wedding for free because 3 of the bridesmaids were engaged, and if I did a good job they might hire me. (However in every possible universe, the bride gloats about how she got me to work for free, and advises them to do the same to some other photographer) Shoot a fashion show for free because their blog gets 1,000 hits a month. Commercial headshots especially, those should be considered an investment by the client but instead you the photographer should be grateful to have aspiring actor #185829838572 in your portfolio because it'll look great once they win an Oscar in the near future (actual thing said to me).

I think my favorite one was a lady who wanted me to come into NYC twice a week to shoot street fashion of her for her instagram fashion page. Which she was planning to launch in 5 weeks. No money, no exposure, not even a subway token and a half a sandwich; just the vague promise of future exposure.

Or the female model who wanted to do a shoot with a male model. In a wedding dress & tux. The day before her wedding. Also the male model is her fiancee who's never modeled before. Also if you could show up to the wedding ceremony for a few hours to take some fun shots (she has a list of fun shots she needs) that would be great exposure too, she's a professional, agency repped model after all. You can even use some in your portfolio (with her written permission). If you couldn't tell she wants engagement and wedding photos, for free.

TLDR: People think TFP is some magic incantation that gets professionals to forget their work is valuable.
Ah, cool, thanks. I kind of figured it was in the same vein as "work for exposure" but couldn't fit the acronym into anything and it was really bugging me.

Your stories are all amazing, by the way. I'm so glad I don't ever plan on going into professional photography.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

red19fire posted:

The magazines byline was 'Maxim for Libertarians' :cripes:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom - Maxim for Libertarians

Make it happen, SoundMonkey

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't decide if my favourite part is the van pole to pry him out of the van, or when she threatened to sleep with you.

• Locked thread