Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best flash modifier?
Softlighter
Beauty Dish
Bedsheet taped to something
Octabank
Fleshlight
View Results

• Locked thread
Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
The worst I've had are pretty tame compared to these.

All the photographer's I've assisted have been super nice guys off the job but there was one guy who would flick a switch once the client arrived and become really stressed and bossy and demanding even on simple shoots. Just stuff like getting really exasperated that I put his 80mm in the 50mm pouch of his suitcase the first time I ever packed up for him, the fact that I was failing to shade his eyes adequately at the same time as shading his telephoto while he strafed quickly away from me to follow a moving model. He'd also often blame me when his lighting was wrong and needed adjusting after he set it up himself and told me not to touch it, or was upset at me when his flash sometimes didn't fire and it was obviously my fault cos I set the light up and not his crappy cheap triggers. It was stressful because he made me feel like I was doing a really bad job for not figuring out his idiosyncrasies instantly (and his rules seemed to change from shoot to shoot), but the moment we said goodbye to the client he was all friendly and smiley and happy with my work every time.

The only other bad experience was this one guy (again, super nice) who had these awful job's he'd do for market research companies. Basically they paid him to go around various stores in Tokyo and photograph the store displays of certain products at different levels (e.g. the beauty section of a department store, then at a local mall, then a drug store and then convenience store). I think they used the photos to determine how to consult their clients in how their own products should be displayed in similar markets in order to stand out. For some reason they had really strict requirements about how these shots had to be evenly lit and taken very straight on, so the photographer really had to spend a few minutes setting the shot up to get it properly. Problem is, most of these stores in Japan have rules against this sort of photography inside their stores, so my job as an assistant was to wait at the end of an aisle and basically run interference asking staff random questions so they wouldn't notice what he was doing, or warning him when a staff member was about to round a corner so he could hide his camera.

Pretty harmless, but it felt demeaning as hell and taught me nothing at all about photography. Dude was nice and paid me well for it though so that's something.

Now the only assisting I do is for one specific friend who I trust and we work well together and I am glad I don't have to do those smaller jobs anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread