Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I work in an entertainment field and I live in Los Angeles. Because of this and other reasons, a large portion of the new people I come into contact with are aspiring actors, writers, artists... etc. I've noticed a trend in the last several years and that is that these types of people are re-orienting their aspirations with new media in mind. I met a person almost a week ago who told me that they were a “youtuber.” I asked to see their page, which had a modest audience of less than 200 viewers per video with around 30 videos posted. We watched one, which included footage of beaches, her feet, people eating lunch/acting pleasant, words to consider (Live for today, Believe, Dream, etc.) and an assortment of other poorly shot but inoffensive scenes of life.

A version of negative feedback that you can give to strangers is to not give any feedback or ask questions. I asked “What made you decide to do this?” and “Who are you attempting to emulate?” They said that they had been watching youtube videos for awhile and thought they'd like to give it a try. They told me that their “main youtube inspiration is Will Darbyshire.” I got home and I looked this person up. The first video I watched was of a young handsome English man immediately acknowledging the things he was afraid of, which included: making this video with a new haircut, standing up while making this video and how his audience (hundreds of thousands) would respond to this video given the circumstances (new haircut, standing up v. sitting down). I watched a second video which was eerily similar to the video the person from earlier showed me, but more professionally shot.

In the right context, discussing fear can be inspirational. That is if it's coming from someone who I could imagine respecting or aspiring toward. To know that someone competent, skilled or powerful, has banal fears can be comforting. To know that a simpering English youtube star is fearful and an overt narcissist is assumed. The appeal I see in a lot of youtube personalities is their humanity and honesty. For modern internet audiences that seems to be enough.

So with that I want to know who your main youtube inspiration is. I'll start: https://youtu.be/YraqQabax8A?t=46s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Idiot Kicker posted:

He's good. Commentiquette owns just as hard though.

That guy is/was a goon, right?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Minimalist Program posted:

Do you have anything else you can tell us about your experiences with this sort of thing? :)

My experience is pretty specific and I'm not sure how helpful it is, but I can tell you this: If someone, who I don't know, asks me for feedback on something I don't like and have no investment in: I will not give negative feedback, because it wouldn't help them or me. In this example the person was in the beginning of their pursuit and would get better or burn out naturally. Negative feedback might cause them to fold early or dislike me, which I don't want because I might see them or, even worse, work with them down the road.

But, I assume it's universally understood that if you ask someone for feedback on something and they don't say anything positive or negative about that thing, then they didn't like that thing, but are a polite person and are otherwise not invested. Asking questions that might have them come to their own conclusion is a small mercy, but a person's own advice is likely the advice they're most willing to accept, from what I've seen. So if you can say something like "Tell me what your idealized version of this project looks like and how do you see yourself getting closer to that?" it might cause them to infer your meaning and ground their thinking to focus on the process. Of course it might not do anything and who cares.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Dear Watson posted:

I like Nathan barnatt

Dude is genius level at falling.

• Locked thread