Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

OwlFancier posted:

Ok I should rephrase, I understand mechanically how getting pregnant and it killing you works but I am having difficulty understanding the rational basis for why it is a good thing.

God said be fruitful and multiply, and that is the greatest thing a woman can do with the gifts God has given her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

WoodrowSkillson posted:

God said be fruitful and multiply, and that is the greatest thing a woman can do with the gifts God has given her.

I multiply fruity smoothies on the reg does that count towards Gods plan?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Lichy posted:

I multiply fruity smoothies on the reg does that count towards Gods plan?

Only if an infant pops out at the end.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Only if an infant pops out at the end.

Food baby?!?!?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I feel there is a mathematical issue with the notion of multiplying by dying in childbirth.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

OwlFancier posted:

I feel there is a mathematical issue with the notion of multiplying by dying in childbirth.

No issue, I guarantee it!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Most won't and its about fulfilling your purpose by creating new life, not mathematically growing the species.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Considering the vast majority of trans individuals i have spoken with state they knew something was off very early in their lives, I do not think many would be accepting to any therapy that "corrected" them. Some might, especially if their dysphoria is not as pronounced, health reasons prevent a full transition, etc. But you are dealing with someone's identity they have felt since they were a child, and that's a deeper thing than depression.

To me, the real goal is researching the hormonal and other aspects of gender dysphoria is being able to identify it early and allow treatments for transition far earlier in the person's life, when it is far less painful and grueling. If we know how it actually works, we can objectively tell a parent "your child is trans, here is the treatment" when the kid is like 3 or something and does not even personally understand gender yet.

To the thread's point, there is probably some aspect of the hormones that cause you to grow one set of genitals vs another also affecting your gender, and the better we understand it, the faster and easier we can make the process of transitioning.

This is a great viewpoint, though the transition of small children will be a seriously contentious issue for the forseeable future.

I still see it as more of a treatable disorder (treat, not correct), that I would hope prevents people from undergoing such invasive surgery* if the effects were able to be minimized both societally (America seems to be working on it...don't hold your breath though) and medically. If we can formulate something that can help a transperson feel more at home in their own skin (to be clear, I mean just physically) while still able to present as whomever they want, I think that'd be a positive development.

*Surgery of any kind is very risky and should be avoided until all other options are exhausted.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 20, 2016

prick with tenure
May 21, 2007

Sorry, but that doesn't convulse my being.

Blue Star posted:

I'm of the opinion that transgenderism is almost purely a psychological phenomenon that develops over time, rather than an innate biologically congenital one that happens in the womb. Brain studies have indicated a lot of different things and neuroscience is still in its infancy. Some studies have shown that male and female brains are pretty much the same and that any differences are entirely due to nurture. Some studies have shown that trans women's brains are more similar to cis women's, while others have shown the opposite: that trans women are more similar to cis men, neurologically. Other studies have shown that young MTF transitioners are more similar to cis women, while older MTF transitioners are more like cis men. It's all very much up in the air and nothing is conclusive.

So right now I'm kinda sorta leaning towards the idea that transgenderism is more than likely a nurture sort of thing. People do not have innate genders in their brains. The desire to transition arises due to acquired psychological factors that occur during a person's lifetime, not due to innate congenital biology. Trans women are biological males who desire to live their lives as women and be socially recognized as women, while trans men are the opposite. Whether or not that makes them actual women or actual men is an open question. But I do think that gender roles as defined by the West are too rigid so it's good that some people are pushing the boundaries. In 20 years, I think gender noncomformity will be a little more accepted than it is today, although medically there probably won't be any more options for trans people than there are today. No miracle brain cure pills, no significant advancements in surgical tech or body modification tech. The majority of trans women will still be non-passing and obviously male, but hopefully they will be more accepted.

I think I lean the other way, that there is definitely something to many trans people's sense that they were simply born in the wrong kind of body, and, apparently like you, I don't see how this could possibly be consistent with the claim that gender is purely a social construct, that there are no fundamental differences between a male a female brain, etc. If these claims aren't really mutually exclusive I'd really like someone to explain that to me.

prick with tenure fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 20, 2016

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
drat, tough break. Are there permanent medical solutions available to you? If so, is it the doctors pushing against the procedure? Surely a qualified professional would recognize the issue here.
But here's the twist: how do you tell the difference between the desire to conform and the simple innocent fascination? Either way, they'll say up and down it's what they want, but you can't be sure about what their motivation, the real motivation, is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The left button should be "People can be born as the wrong sex" and the comic should have the person slamming their hands down on both buttons.

Basically sex != gender.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WampaLord posted:

The left button should be "People can be born as the wrong sex" and the comic should have the person slamming their hands down on both buttons.

Basically sex != gender.

Essentially the difference is between "I'm supposed to be male" and "I should be able to do 'man things'."

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Most won't and its about fulfilling your purpose by creating new life, not mathematically growing the species.

Yeah, OwlFancier - it's breaking down my useful parts as a woman to basically 'make another brand new person at any cost.' I find a lot of uncomfortable roots of this 'concern' is religious or racially provoked. The hidden idea, I felt sometimes, was my making a child, even with my death, is like a way of 'apologizing' for being broken. A brand new thing to love and antagonize by society that I left in my useless wake.

I am adopting though, if I ever make the bank to keep a child happy, educated, and safe. Kids loving own.

Another fun litmus test this poo poo has granted me: how people really feel about parental leave, welfare and food stamps for children. So many people wanting me knocked up - not one person to offer with the post-birth fallout! Typical.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

Essentially the difference is between "I'm supposed to be male" and "I should be able to do 'man things'."
Are there very many trans people who pursue treatment to have their body match their sex but who continue to perform their assigned gender after physically transitioning? If not, then what good is the sex vs gender distinction in any practical sense?

e.
Isn't "sex is also a social construct" de rigueur?

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 20, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

prick with tenure posted:

I think I lean the other way, that there is definitely something to many trans people's sense that they were simply born in the wrong kind of body, and, apparently like you, I don't see how this could possibly be consistent with the claim that gender is purely a social construct, that there are no fundamental differences between a male a female brain, etc. If these claims aren't really mutually exclusive I'd really like someone to explain that to me.

there's only a conflict if people say gender is 100% a social construct. if gender is 99% a social construct and 1% the result of the sex determination process (which is itself imperfect) then there's no conflict. that's the view i talked about earlier itt, that there's something of an inborn gender but this inborn gender can easily lead to a female mind being born sexually male, and the real conflict is how much the society you live in imposes a strict gender role upon you based on your sex. there wouldn't even be gender dysphoria if society as a whole didn't give a poo poo about your gender presentation

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 20, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

the trump tutelage posted:

Are there very many trans people who pursue treatment to have their body match their sex but who continue to perform their assigned gender after physically transitioning? If not, then what good is the sex vs gender distinction in any practical sense?

Well, there are plenty of people who fit into the second category but not the first.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also implying that 'social construct' is the same as 'doesn't really exist' or 'something you can just change yourself'.

Money (or rather the value-barter system that money represents) is a social construct. That doesn't help someone who is broke, and it doesn't mean that financial inequality doesn't exist.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
A social construct may really exist, but drawing a distinction between "sex" and "gender-as-social-construct" implies that there is some objective core or truth to sex that gender is lacking. One is a Law and the other is a tradition. Sex-as-social-construct resolves that at least.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Isn't "sex is also a social construct" de rigueur?

no, sex is a biological construct resulting from sexual dimorphism in humans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_sex-determination_system

you can have males, females, genetic females who appear to be biologically male, genetic males who appear to be biologically female, and other wacky genetic combinations

A social construct may really exist, but drawing a distinction between "sex" and "gender-as-social-construct" implies that there is some objective core or truth to sex that gender is lacking. One is a Law and the other is a tradition. Sex-as-social-construct resolves that at least.

yes, it's genetics. most people learn this in high school biology. chromosomes lead to sexual differentiation. frequently enough this process pops out atypical individuals who aren't fully male or female

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 20, 2016

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

You're almost talking about "continue to perform their assigned gender after physically transitioning" as if gender expression is a binary - either you're "performing female" or "performing male". That doesn't even stand up to cursory scrutiny - there's very guyey and very girly cis girls.

The only way you can make it binary is to talk about it in terms of "are there many people who assert that they're female, have transition related medical procedures, and then go around telling everyone they're male?" No, obviously not, because it's an issue of identity, with is separate to expression - as many others here seem to get.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no, sex is a biological construct resulting from sexual dimorphism in humans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_sex-determination_system

you can have males, females, genetic females who appear to be biologically male, genetic males who appear to be biologically female, and other wacky genetic combinations

yes, it's genetics. most people learn this in high school biology. chromosomes lead to sexual differentiation. frequently enough this process pops out atypical individuals who aren't fully male or female

Okay, but

quote:

First, the idea that sex is a social construct, for Butler, boils down to the view that our sexed bodies are also performative and, so, they have “no ontological status apart from the various acts which constitute [their] reality” (1999, 173). Prima facie, this implausibly implies that female and male bodies do not have independent existence and that if gendering activities ceased, so would physical bodies. This is not Butler's claim; rather, her position is that bodies viewed as the material foundations on which gender is constructed, are themselves constructed as if they provide such material foundations (Butler 1993). Cultural conceptions about gender figure in “the very apparatus of production whereby sexes themselves are established” (Butler 1999, 11).

For Butler, sexed bodies never exist outside social meanings and how we understand gender shapes how we understand sex (1999, 139). Sexed bodies are not empty matter on which gender is constructed and sex categories are not picked out on the basis of objective features of the world. Instead, our sexed bodies are themselves discursively constructed: they are the way they are, at least to a substantial extent, because of what is attributed to sexed bodies and how they are classified (for discursive construction, see Haslanger 1995, 99). Sex assignment (calling someone female or male) is normative (Butler 1993, 1).[6] When the doctor calls a newly born infant a girl or a boy, s/he is not making a descriptive claim, but a normative one. In fact, the doctor is performing an illocutionary speech act (see the entry on Speech Acts). In effect, the doctor's utterance makes infants into girls or boys. We, then, engage in activities that make it seem as if sexes naturally come in two and that being female or male is an objective feature of the world, rather than being a consequence of certain constitutive acts (that is, rather than being performative). And this is what Butler means in saying that physical bodies never exist outside cultural and social meanings, and that sex is as socially constructed as gender. She does not deny that physical bodies exist. But, she takes our understanding of this existence to be a product of social conditioning: social conditioning makes the existence of physical bodies intelligible to us by discursively constructing sexed bodies through certain constitutive acts. (For a helpful introduction to Butler's views, see Salih 2002.)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why Judith Butler gets to weigh in on any of this...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Do you agree with this or are you just posting it because it seems to vaguely disagree with PTD? Because asking people to argue with random articles you don't even support seems kind of pointless.

Edit-

SedanChair posted:

This too. I mean she's right, but she's right in a way that's kind of meaningless. Everything is a social construct, sort of, but it's not like we invented the two main biological archetypes or whatever you want to call them, they were already there.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 20, 2016

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The idea of gender being 100% a construct is likely wrong, and trans individuals are pretty much the proof of that. A poo poo ton of it is constructed, but there is some kind of link between sex and gender, and trans people are an example of it not working 100% perfectly. People also are "supposed" to be straight and they are not, and are "supposed" to be between 4'10 and 6'0 tall, poo poo does not work right all the time and there is no reason to be assholes to people whose gender does not match their sex.

trying to 100% remove gender from humans does not work since we are social animals, and that's just not how we work. primates are super social in general, and form complex relationships with sex/gender being a major part of it. to think we are completely removed from that is just wrong, but 99% of evo psych has been bullshit.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Oh, is she out of fashion now?

Nevvy Z posted:

Do you agree with this or are you just posting it because it seems to vaguely disagree with PTD? Because asking people to argue with random articles you don't even support seems kind of pointless.

Edit-

This too. I mean she's right, but she's right in a way that's kind of meaningless. Everything is a social construct, sort of.
I do agree with her, yes.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
But then again, a major complaint from the feminist intellectual community about the phenomenon of transpeople has been that the logic of some transpeople has been to some degree essentialist, if only by accident; in other words, that it puts too strong of an emphasis on the physical because the logic of gender (and, if you like, sex) being constructed has not been fully internalised.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Oh, is she out of fashion now?

you seem overly concerned with defining what is trendy or not

I do agree with her, yes.

what do you agree with?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
When people talk about gender as though it is some gestalt thing they are committing the same class of error a person makes when they insist that the door handles on a car are a real thing instead of a convenient label our brains assign to certain configurations of quarks. And then if you show them a car without door handles, their brain refuses to accept it as a thing that can actually exist. Except, of course they accept it just fine because human brains don't have weird ideas about door handles on cars. So it goes with gender and genitals (and for that matter brain chemistry, while we're at it).

You might as well ask "[please be serious] does green have -anything- to do with grass at ALL?"

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 20, 2016

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Guavanaut posted:

Wouldn't tubal ligation be the female anatomy version of vasectomy though?

It's still harder for someone to get a tubal ligation than a vasectomy for a variety of reasons, from the ease of reversibility, to one being largely external, to social attitudes about women and babies, but the male equivalent of a hysterectomy would be more like an orchidectomy, which is similarly hard to get just by asking around.

Would still leave me with really bad cramps and blood so not my first choice. They wouldn't do that either. You see I just thought I didn't want kids but hormones would have their way and any minute now I would surely discover that education and independence and money weren't what I wanted at all and I'd go baby crazy.

Any minute now.

Men are rational beings making reasoned decisions. Women are animals controlled by instincts/hormones. So I was told over and over and over a thousand different ways growing up.

Like lessons. As a child I was sent without consultation to piano, ballet, skiing, gymnastics, riding, and sewing lessons. I wanted to take karate. This was forbidden on the grounds that I was too fragile. I found out the YMCA was offering karate lessons for $7 a month and enrolled myself, then walked down to the Y to take them as a tween. When this was discovered I was ordered to stop. Having been doing the lessons just fine for months I knew I wasn't to fragile. And speaking of danger do you even watch my gymnastics class? The uneven bars are more dangerous than anything I'm doing in karate!

Ah! But the uneven bars don't make me think I can defend myself. Karate is dangerous for me because the false sense of confidence it would give me can endanger me. And I'm a girl. I need to understand how soft and helpless I am ( ballet dancers kick like mules by the way ).

Then they turned to my brother and tried to get him interested in it cause $7 a month is an awesome price. He wasn't. They made him go to a few classes to try it out then let him stop.

He got to stop lessons if he didn't like them. Boys have agency and can decide what they like. Girls don't know what they like and will appreciate it later.

I wanted to be a boy soooo much. I dressed as a boy, cut my hair short, refused to wear make up or jewelry. I wanted respect, control, agency, opportunity, and my drat female body was denying me all of it.

Then puberty hit and it got so much worse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McAlister posted:

Would still leave me with really bad cramps and blood so not my first choice. They wouldn't do that either. You see I just thought I didn't want kids but hormones would have their way and any minute now I would surely discover that education and independence and money weren't what I wanted at all and I'd go baby crazy.

Any minute now.

Men are rational beings making reasoned decisions. Women are animals controlled by instincts/hormones. So I was told over and over and over a thousand different ways growing up.

Like lessons. As a child I was sent without consultation to piano, ballet, skiing, gymnastics, riding, and sewing lessons. I wanted to take karate. This was forbidden on the grounds that I was too fragile. I found out the YMCA was offering karate lessons for $7 a month and enrolled myself, then walked down to the Y to take them as a tween. When this was discovered I was ordered to stop. Having been doing the lessons just fine for months I knew I wasn't to fragile. And speaking of danger do you even watch my gymnastics class? The uneven bars are more dangerous than anything I'm doing in karate!

Ah! But the uneven bars don't make me think I can defend myself. Karate is dangerous for me because the false sense of confidence it would give me can endanger me. And I'm a girl. I need to understand how soft and helpless I am ( ballet dancers kick like mules by the way ).

Then they turned to my brother and tried to get him interested in it cause $7 a month is an awesome price. He wasn't. They made him go to a few classes to try it out then let him stop.

He got to stop lessons if he didn't like them. Boys have agency and can decide what they like. Girls don't know what they like and will appreciate it later.

I wanted to be a boy soooo much. I dressed as a boy, cut my hair short, refused to wear make up or jewelry. I wanted respect, control, agency, opportunity, and my drat female body was denying me all of it.

I don't really have anything to add to this whole conversation, but I just wanted to say that sounds horrible and your parents definitely made some very hosed up choices. I don't know what gender should be, but it sure as poo poo shouldn't be whatever your parents thought it was.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Considering the vast majority of trans individuals i have spoken with state they knew something was off very early in their lives, I do not think many would be accepting to any therapy that "corrected" them. Some might, especially if their dysphoria is not as pronounced, health reasons prevent a full transition, etc. But you are dealing with someone's identity they have felt since they were a child, and that's a deeper thing than depression.

To me, the real goal is researching the hormonal and other aspects of gender dysphoria is being able to identify it early and allow treatments for transition far earlier in the person's life, when it is far less painful and grueling. If we know how it actually works, we can objectively tell a parent "your child is trans, here is the treatment" when the kid is like 3 or something and does not even personally understand gender yet.

Research into this has found it to be challenging to differentiate between people of the sort you describe and people who later stop experiencing dysmorphia (in children to teens, that is). There are some differences between the two (e.g. the sort of self-reported feelings they have about it, etc) but they overlap too frequently to be satisfactorily reliable. A current approach known as the Dutch protocol is a response to this problem, but is not perfect (and as I understand it quite controversial for some). In effect, we have a problem where puberty is a strong force for determining the concreteness of gender identity, but undergoing puberty makes transitioning substantially more difficult.

Arguably this problem is due to gender terms being a matter of language, not of empirical reality. Thier high degree of flexibility and breadth makes for categories that are insufficient for making judgements about their being concrete.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

NathanScottPhillips posted:

This is a very, very interesting set of posts to appear. The first claims that "an obsession for physical basis for such bahaviors and feelings" is a immoral pursuit. The second flippantly mentions suicide in the same breath as a sex change procedure as if they are on the same spectrum.

Personally, I feel that in 20 years, maybe sooner, when neuroscience has progressed to the point where it can pinpoint the reasons why people need sex changes

You are missing the point. I wanted to be male because the way other people were treating me was causing me tremendous distress and they openly admitted that they wouldn't be treating me like poo poo if I were a boy. I could easily observe boys being praised for things I was chastised for and encouraged to walk through doors that were closed to me on the basis of my genitals.

The problem wasn't in me for not being happy with being treated like poo poo. The problem was with society for treating me like poo poo on the basis of my genitals.

Having people constantly tell you that your wants and desires are wrong/abberant/weird and that you are wrong is incredibly stressful. Esp for adolescents.

I'm sure neuroscience could come up with a way to inject me with something to make me ok with being treated as lesser and denied agency in my own life but I disagree profoundly that this would be a good thing to do to people. Suggesting this is like arguing that instead of stopping bullies from bullying we should dose the bullied kids with something that will make them not mind being bullied.

Then they won't commit suicide as much either.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

McAlister posted:

Any minute now.

:stare: You've had a rough time of it. You deserve all the things you've bolded, regardless of being a woman or a man, and your parents (I assume?) were bastards for denying it to you while giving it to your brother. But I ask in all seriousness, do you actually have gender dysmophia, or do you just want to be treated with the respect you deserve in the body you have?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McAlister posted:

You are missing the point. I wanted to be male because the way other people were treating me was causing me tremendous distress and they openly admitted that they wouldn't be treating me like poo poo if I were a boy. I could easily observe boys being praised for things I was chastised for and encouraged to walk through doors that were closed to me on the basis of my genitals.

The problem wasn't in me for not being happy with being treated like poo poo. The problem was with society for treating me like poo poo on the basis of my genitals.

The problem was that they treated you like poo poo based on your gender, not necessarily your genitals (although with regards with people who aren't trans, this is a distinction without a difference). There are trans women who get treated even worse (because people treat them like poo poo because they're women, but also because they're trans in many cases) and yet still feel transition is the best path forward for them for whatever reason. Whether or not they transition doesn't necessarily have a huge impact on whether they want to adhere to prescribed gender roles, and I don't think finding a biological basis for gender identity would in any way validate the toxic enforcement of gender norms.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you seem overly concerned with defining what is trendy or not
I'm just trying to stay current with what's trendy in D&D. Citing last season's philosophers is such a faux pas.

quote:

what do you agree with?

That sexed bodies have “no ontological status apart from the various acts which constitute [their] reality”.

You can't root gender dysphoria exclusively in the "sex" half of the sex/gender distinction, as is implied by posts like

WampaLord posted:

Basically sex != gender.
and

Nevvy Z posted:

and other posts up-thread that talk about earlier childhood transitions enabled by detecting gender dysphoria bio markers.

I assume you would agree with that if you believe that "there wouldn't even be gender dysphoria if society as a whole didn't give a poo poo about your gender presentation".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I'm just trying to stay current with what's trendy in D&D. Citing last season's philosophers is such a faux pas.

oh ok so you're not arguing in good faith, cool

That sexed bodies have “no ontological status apart from the various acts which constitute [their] reality”.

You can't root gender dysphoria exclusively in the "sex" half of the sex/gender distinction, as is implied by posts like

who's saying rooted exclusively? there's a mismatch, this doesn't imply precedence for either sex or gender

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

McAlister posted:

Having people constantly tell you that your wants and desires are wrong/abberant/weird and that you are wrong is incredibly stressful. Esp for adolescents.

I'm sure neuroscience could come up with a way to inject me with something to make me ok with being treated as lesser and denied agency in my own life but I disagree profoundly that this would be a good thing to do to people. Suggesting this is like arguing that instead of stopping bullies from bullying we should dose the bullied kids with something that will make them not mind being bullied.

Then they won't commit suicide as much either.

The more you describe this, the more clear it is that you're a victim of child abuse. You don't need medication for that (unless you also have a chemical imbalance that, though unrelated to the issue, would make things much worse on you), you likely need counseling*.

When I say we should develop a medication or treatment that could lessen the emotional hardships of trans issues, I'm solely referring to the feelings of being trapped in the wrong body. Societal issues are soemthing we all need to work on together to fix, even though it's a generational sized problem.

*I say this as someone who has needed counseling for child abuse in the past.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

"there wouldn't even be gender dysphoria if society as a whole didn't give a poo poo about your gender presentation".

This is probably untrue, but it would definitely be a lot less harmful to those experiencing it if society didn't give a poo poo. There's a reason top surgery is a thing even for those who have high success with binding.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Coolwhoami posted:

Research into this has found it to be challenging to differentiate between people of the sort you describe and people who later stop experiencing dysmorphia (in children to teens, that is). There are some differences between the two (e.g. the sort of self-reported feelings they have about it, etc) but they overlap too frequently to be satisfactorily reliable. A current approach known as the Dutch protocol is a response to this problem, but is not perfect (and as I understand it quite controversial for some). In effect, we have a problem where puberty is a strong force for determining the concreteness of gender identity, but undergoing puberty makes transitioning substantially more difficult.

Arguably this problem is due to gender terms being a matter of language, not of empirical reality. Thier high degree of flexibility and breadth makes for categories that are insufficient for making judgements about their being concrete.

Yeah, I know its still murky as hell, which is why we need to learn more. Something is going on, and the better we can pinpoint it, the better we can help people and offer them the chance to life their lives as they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

PT6A posted:

The problem was that they treated you like poo poo based on your gender, not necessarily your genitals (although with regards with people who aren't trans, this is a distinction without a difference). There are trans women who get treated even worse (because people treat them like poo poo because they're women, but also because they're trans in many cases) and yet still feel transition is the best path forward for them for whatever reason.

This :). Thankyou!

I'm very wary of trying to speak to others experience because I'm very used to everyone trying to debate mine as if they know it better than I do, so I'll ask.

Is it fair to say, McAlister that it wasn't so much that you wanted to be a boy, but that you wanted the respect and opportunities that society tends to grant males and deny females? If that's the case, then yeah, I can totally get it, but it's really not related to the trans experience. As pt6a says, there's plenty of people who wish to transition m2f despite living in a profoundly transmisogynistic society. Fixing the relative power imbalances between men and women isn't going to change that

• Locked thread