Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

McAlister posted:

Note: I did know that hysterectomies existed in the 90's but was unable to find a doctor willing to perform one on me as a healthy childless twenty something woman. I know men of that age who were able to get vasectomies at that time. They got a moderate amount of pushback and couldn't get the first doc they called to do it. But in the end their control of their fertility was respected in a way mine wasn't.

Hey, first off: You've shared a lot of great stuff, and it's awesome, thanks.

Second, I wanted to springboard off this bit of personal info because this is my exact issue, too.

My entire life, pregnancy has been my #1 fear because it has a 100% chance of killing me. Abortion bans are straight up on my mind 24/7.

So, here's the fun, gender thing: I am a woman, was born as one, and present as such by whatever that means - but I can't have children. Periods are useless to me. I want the poo poo removed.

To everyone I know, that is the -one- thing that makes you a woman: childbearing. Can't do it: Am I a woman? You'd be shocked by the answers. You'd be even more shocked by the weird near-reptilian tone people take with me and suddenly spring nightmares onto me:

"God had a plan, go with it."
"Don't take birth control, it'll ruin your brain/body/hormones."
"Maybe they can induce a coma on you and surgically remove your ribcage to induce labor!"
"Maybe you should give your life for the child, I mean, you can't -not- have kids."
"Why would you do such a selfish thing to the men in your life?"
"You can't have kids? Oh man, you're never going to find a guy."
"Why should I wear a condom? It feels bad. We can just, like, do stuff to get rid of it if you get pregnant, right?"
"Well, it's cool you want to adopt, but I kinda want to spread MY genes, you know...?"

Since I was like, 10 years old. It's hosed. It's some kind of gross sexual projection dressed up as concern.

E: for the super nerdy goons, please refer to the cinema classic Prometheus to get a wonderful metaphor of how horrific and unreal this natural and biological act feels to me. Thanks for reading, have a great day, keep posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

These two are wonderful in combination. :catstare:

It says a lot about people if they think that the absolute best thing that they can offer the world is a chemical that they produce without any conscious effort, they should just go be a plant or something.

This dude gets it. The other fun thing is complete faux-concern over my 'biological clock' like I'm some sort of slowly dying oven that can't bake poo poo right. That happens to every woman I know to some degree, though.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Most won't and its about fulfilling your purpose by creating new life, not mathematically growing the species.

Yeah, OwlFancier - it's breaking down my useful parts as a woman to basically 'make another brand new person at any cost.' I find a lot of uncomfortable roots of this 'concern' is religious or racially provoked. The hidden idea, I felt sometimes, was my making a child, even with my death, is like a way of 'apologizing' for being broken. A brand new thing to love and antagonize by society that I left in my useless wake.

I am adopting though, if I ever make the bank to keep a child happy, educated, and safe. Kids loving own.

Another fun litmus test this poo poo has granted me: how people really feel about parental leave, welfare and food stamps for children. So many people wanting me knocked up - not one person to offer with the post-birth fallout! Typical.

• Locked thread