Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

Women are drawn to child birth which was for most of human history one of the riskiest activities one could ever engage in.
I'm not sure they were drawn to childbirth so much as that most humans are drawn to sex and before birth control existed that was just what often happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's interesting what people who have transitioned or are transitioning have said about how hormones affect their psychological state.

I know someone who in varying their T levels experimentally said T definitely made them more emotional, but not necessarily more aggressive/risk seeking.

Plural of anecdote isn't data and all that, and you're looking at a small subset of the general population, but it's hard to find many people who vary their hormone levels in an outwardly controllable way and talk about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's usually because they're experiencing something akin to the opposite of phantom limb syndrome. There was a large ethics debate in the surgical community about actually performing the operations, because many thought that it was anything from an extreme stylistic choice to a psychosis, and that they'd keep coming back for more and more body parts to be removed, but it turned out that once the offending body part was removed there was no further desire for surgery. Proprioception is weird isn't greatly understood though afaik.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

When you take a testosterone pill, do you immediately develop a deep craving for power tools, riced-out sports cars, and extreme skydiving into the driver's seat of a convertible parked on top of a yacht?
Of course not, testosterone has terrible bioavailability orally.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

McAlister posted:

Note: I did know that hysterectomies existed in the 90's but was unable to find a doctor willing to perform one on me as a healthy childless twenty something woman. I know men of that age who were able to get vasectomies at that time. They got a moderate amount of pushback and couldn't get the first doc they called to do it. But in the end their control of their fertility was respected in a way mine wasn't.
Wouldn't tubal ligation be the female anatomy version of vasectomy though?

It's still harder for someone to get a tubal ligation than a vasectomy for a variety of reasons, from the ease of reversibility, to one being largely external, to social attitudes about women and babies, but the male equivalent of a hysterectomy would be more like an orchidectomy, which is similarly hard to get just by asking around.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NathanScottPhillips posted:

This is a very, very interesting set of posts to appear. The first claims that "an obsession for physical basis for such bahaviors and feelings" is a immoral pursuit. The second flippantly mentions suicide in the same breath as a sex change procedure as if they are on the same spectrum.
In a vacuum it would not be an immoral pursuit. In the current atmosphere searching for physiological bases for gender roles often comes with an agenda. It's like a lot of the 'gay gene' research. In an ethical vacuum that would be interesting, like hey we can see the genetic basis for this or that outcome, cool! Currently it comes with a whole heap of poo poo and half of the people backing it are mostly doing so because of their own sexual hangups or because they want a test to abort gay fetuses.
If they're that interested in genes and sexuality perhaps they should go look for a pedophile gene or a rapist gene or something that might provide useful information for improving society. Maybe some of the researchers really are just interested in sexuality being possibly genetic, but that doesn't happen in an ethical vacuum, and when your sponsors are holding a literal vacuum and waiting for the transvaginal gaydar then you should perhaps question your ethical duties beyond mere knowledge.

quote:

I think this is very interesting; if you do not want to address the physical basis for mental health problems, then you are basically telling people who have suicidal thoughts "go ahead, do it. That's what you feel is best, right. I support your decision, you are brave." Is this seriously where the argument is going?
There was a thread on that, it was bad. The only possible relevance to this thread is that it discussed the ethics of forced medical/surgical treatments to prevent someone doing something that you have decided is immoral.

quote:

Personally, I feel that in 20 years, maybe sooner, when neuroscience has progressed to the point where it can pinpoint the reasons why people need sex changes it will be treatable with medication or therapy, just like depression is now. This period of surgery and hormone supplements will be looked back on in the same light we look back on lobotomies.
Or they might be able to identify it in advance so that the person can transition before puberty, which by some metrics has far better results than post-pubescent transition. In which case it goes to the ethical issue of whether the individual be allowed an informed choice between physical or mental transition.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
LGBT rights in general are legitimized by not being pricks to LGBT people.

The idea that finding a 'gay gene' would suddenly legitimize LGBT issues is absurd. Let's say we find one. Cool, now let's say we develop a test you can pee on or put a blood sample on. Then let's give a few hundred thousand free to Uganda or Saudi Arabia or Faithful Word Baptist Church. What good exactly do you see coming from that?

The pursuit of knowledge at all levels can be a great thing in and of itself (not just at lower levels, because that just lends itself to reductionism) but it can't create or legitimize social or civil rights issues on its own.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NathanScottPhillips posted:

The answer to ignorance is not to be ignorant yourself. You're basically saying that it's ok to hold back human progress and the search for absolute truth because some people might do something bad.
No I'm not, I'm saying that the search for more cool stuff is fine, the search for more random stuff is fine, but the search for stuff actively pushed by awful people is less fine. I'm not sure there is an 'absolute truth', but searching for a genetic root for sexuality seems pointless at best (not that I'm against gaining pointless knowledge) and actively harmful at worst, especially when people fronting such research have gone on record saying they support a parent's right to test and abort their gaybies.
It's like the difference between a chemist who is looking for novel new organophosphates because they really enjoy phosphate chemistry and a chemist who is looking for novel new organophosphates that can be made in an airplane bathroom from a binary solution and is sponsored by someone who is cool with nerve gas attacks. One might say there are some ethical issues outweighing the loss of potential organophosphate knowledge in the latter case. Surely there's better things for them to be getting on with.

asdf32 posted:

Most people have already decided that being gay isn't a choice which is a shift that's accompanied many rights. For obvious reasons. Society doesn't support every whim and preference of every individual. The fundamental and innate nature of sexual preference is why society has and should write laws to support gay marriage and LGBT issues in general.
The opening shot of gay rights legislation in the UK, the Wolfenden report, contained in its closing argument the phrase "It is not, in our view, the function of the law to intervene in the private life of citizens, or to seek to enforce any particular pattern of behaviour." That sounds like an argument to choice. Prior to that, many physicians were arguing about the congenital/hormonal nature of homosexuality, and its possible treatment through chemical castration and electroshock therapy. That sounds like an argument to innateness.

You can use choice arguments to be an ally or a dick. You can also use innateness arguments to be an ally or a dick too, although they always come off a bit patronizing in the "aww, they can't help it" sense even in the best case.

I support the same rights to partnership for same sex couples as for different sex couples, I don't think there needs to be a blood test for it or anything, just ask the two people if they want to be married..

I support the rights of mixed race couples to register a partnership too. I don't believe there's a gene or an innate factor that causes a person to be attracted to black or Asian or white people or whatever, I believe that people fall in love for a whole lot of difference complex reasons. And I believe that if scientists were looking for 'the gene' that made you attracted to different races, and the person fronting the project was unsubtly saying "well of course it's the parents' right to know if their unborn child is carrying this gene, they might not want colored grandkids" then they can gently caress off too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Armani posted:

"Why would you do such a selfish thing to the men in your life?"
"Well, it's cool you want to adopt, but I kinda want to spread MY genes, you know...?"
These two are wonderful in combination. :catstare:

It says a lot about people if they think that the absolute best thing that they can offer the world is a chemical that they produce without any conscious effort, they should just go be a plant or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also implying that 'social construct' is the same as 'doesn't really exist' or 'something you can just change yourself'.

Money (or rather the value-barter system that money represents) is a social construct. That doesn't help someone who is broke, and it doesn't mean that financial inequality doesn't exist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no, that's pretty much it. people should be encouraged to modify their bodies to fit their self-image of their body so long as what they want to do isn't injurious to health or quality of life. there's a spectrum of bodily modification, the least extreme being personal decoration like tattoos and the most extreme being, i dont know, those idiots who want to be cyborgs and put like magnets in their fingertips. transgender folks fall on the less extreme part of that spectrum, because you don't really need your sex organs if you don't want them and the payoff in terms of peace of mind is worth it. there are also reasons for non-transpersons to remove or modify their sex organs, such as predisposition to cancer or bringing large breasts down a couple sizes to prevent spinal problems
Wait, why is putting a tiny magnet with a biocompatible coating in the tip of your ring or pinky finger more extreme than sex reassignment surgery? I would have at least gone for tongue bifurcation or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

I know an artist who gave himself a tattoo. That's hardly insane, assuming you know what you're doing and have access to the proper equipment.
I think the implication was that untrained people were doing it at home, and that's a bad thing. Same with untrained people doing tats, piercings, or any surgery outside of an emergency where it might be the best of a bad set of options.

Like Ddraig said though, plenty of reputable body mod places will do biocompatible magnets, there's a place less than 5 miles from where I'm sat that offers it as a walk-in and considers it low risk, similar to a piercing and safer than some of the weirder dermal implants. Sticking random non-medical pieces of metal in your hands at home without training is a bad idea.

I guess the closest SR equivalent would be self medicating with hormones off the internet, but there are wider communities built up around that and some people live in places where doctors are viewed as heavily gatekeeping, which leaves few alternatives. That's something that can lead to bad situations too though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People who want magnets in their fingers do so because it allows you to sense magnetic fields and ferrous metals, which is not something that therapy can do as far as I'm aware.

There are a lot of body mods that do stem more from an aesthetic perspective though, a desire to look or outwardly self-identify as something or other different to what they currently are, whether that's getting a tattoo or dental implants. I'm not sure where you draw the line though. Should therapy to learn to love their existing teeth or lack thereof be preferred to dental implants? Should implants only be considered where ability to chew is affected and in cosmetic cases take a back seat to psychiatric dental self image adjustment?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Volkerball posted:

I'm not sure, but I can say that suicide rates for people with BDD are sky high. If someone would rather kill themselves than have to go through life with the teeth they have, then implants would obviously seem preferable, but I'm not sure. If you provide hormone treatment and surgery to a man who identifies as a woman, then her body now matches her brain, and she can proceed with life. If you fix the teeth of someone who has BDD, did you solve their problem? Or is it just going to manifest itself some other way, meaning surgery is just a bandaid and not actual treatment? It's tough for me to say.
I guess that depends on whether their teeth are the only part they don't like, and whether it all stems from some underlying anxiety or not. 'Good teeth' is as social construct beyond them working for chewing and being cleaned, but simply saying that does not help the person stuck inside that society who feels that their teeth are at odds with that, whereas implants or veneers or whatever would.

I guess the line that we're treading here is the difference between a disorder and a reasonable cosmetic surgery request, which itself is a construct of the society it is working in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Blue Star posted:

It's not due to social roles, since everyone agrees those are restrictive and artificial. So what is it? What makes some a man or a woman?
It can be due to social roles even though they're restrictive and artificial.

It's like money, or laws, or contracts. Everyone knows that those only exist because everyone else believes they exist. Everyone knows that even though they're thoroughly social creations they manage to cause actual real poo poo for people sometimes. Everyone knows that if everyone overnight stopped believing in the value of a certain banknote then it would stop having any value, or if they had a war and nobody showed up then we could all have a big drum circle or whatever, and yet we also know that that's not something likely to happen, because social constructs hold a lot of power in a social species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

TERFs have a bit of a problem because some of them don't like the notion that their theory of womanliness doesn't apply to all women
This is also why there's a large crossover between TERFs and White Feminists, and why some African women eventually said "gently caress this" and split off to form Womanism when they got tired of White Feminists explaining to them "no, you're actually oppressed because of these reasons and these reasons alone try to keep up or you'll never break patriarchy what do you mean your experiences are completely different?"

• Locked thread