Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

The second flippantly mentions suicide in the same breath as a sex change procedure as if they are on the same spectrum.

The post McAlister is quoting reads:

quote:

Don't be surprised, there are people who have limbs removed because they want to be disabled

I couldn't anything about a sex change procedure in their last few posts in this thread, so I'm not really sure where you saw that. Gender is an extremely complex and difficult-to-discuss subject, so please read and try to understand carefully what each person is actually saying.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

why is surgery haram? you're not putting forth any logical or rational reasons to leave surgery off the list of potential treatments

Because in 20 years, everyone who dislikes their dick or breasts and wants them gone will be rightfully recognized as mentally ill and simply encouraged by professionals to change their minds, and I guess everyone who's already done it will be dead and forgotten. It's an extreme offshoot of the same thinking that gives us the classic "God gave you your body, and taking anything off of it is an insult to Him" opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Hey thanks but I follow the conversation for more than 3 lines, sorry for bringing in more thoughts than you can handle in one post.

You said "The second flippantly mentions suicide in the same breath as a sex change procedure as if they are on the same spectrum." McAlister's post is in reference to the removal of limbs. When they say "a little cosmetic surgery", they are talking about the removal of limbs. The post doesn't mention a sex change procedure and your post was predicated on the basis that it was. Getting defensive and burning my brainpower doesn't make you more right.

quote:

Yes, in 20 years if a medicine or therapy were created that cured people's body dismorphia, nobody would ever feel any desire to cut off their dick or breasts and could get on living their life. That's the goal, no?

No. Wanting to cut off your dick or breasts isn't really a huge deal if you're really sure you don't like the way they look and feel on you. Plenty of people have done it already and plenty more are going to. Why would you care? The idea of "It's inherently bad to want to remove your sex characteristics, so I expect pills and therapy to be rapidly developed so that everybody with breasts who doesn't want them comes around to the right way of thinking" is really not palatable to a lot of people.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

body dysmorphia is recognized as a disorder right now, and one of the treatments is surgery, so you should call the medical community and alert them to your discovery without delay

I'm agreeing with you. The idea of sex changes for dysmorphia becoming obsolete in favor of therapy and prescriptions at all, let alone in 20 years, is laughable, and that's why I compared that attitude to aging and obviously regressive viewpoints like the God thing or like "getting a piercing or a tattoo is a betrayal of your body". I think it's a laughable idea because there is a huge and growing coalition of people who are all for making sex changes as easy and normalized as possible, and I really don't see how that's a bad thing unless you justify it with the ~intrinsic sanctity of the genitals~. I had a :downs: in there to show that I wasn't seriously stating that in 20 years all the trans activists making noise about normalizing sex surgeries will vanish from the Earth without impact, because they won't, but I stupidly thought to take it out because I thought it would be too flippant.

• Locked thread