Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No one knows whether behavior correlates with genitals intrinsically, because it's almost impossible to disentangle personality from social expectations and norms that are already established, which may emerge for fairly practical reasons (Men can't breastfeed, so it would be natural to place women into a child-caring role, and then associate women with 'caring' more generally, even if there's no inherent behavioral difference w.r.t caring). I personally am not convinced that there is a relationship, I think the actual process of genetic encoding for neural pathways would be incredibly complicated (when you actually think about it) and therefore not likely, so I doubt it's possible, which necessarily limits the behavioral differences possible. The effects of testosterone tends to be overrated as well.

But just more generally, I think people are more similar than they realize, or feel comfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
All surgery is dangerous because it carries the risk of severe complications, and should not be taken lightly. The choice for surgery however should remain between patient and doctor, as with all medical procedures.

OwlFancier posted:

Same with gay conversion therapy, it's not wrong because homosexuality is unchangeable, it's wrong because there's no reason why a person shouldn't be homosexual. The same is true of trans people. Changing your body to match your gender is exactly as legitimate as not doing so.
Suppose gay conversion therapy worked. Would you allow someone who was gay, but felt uncomfortable being gay, take that therapy? I'm not sure I would, but you're stressing the importance of comfort, so you necessarily must. Peace of mind is a funny thing.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
drat, tough break. Are there permanent medical solutions available to you? If so, is it the doctors pushing against the procedure? Surely a qualified professional would recognize the issue here.
But here's the twist: how do you tell the difference between the desire to conform and the simple innocent fascination? Either way, they'll say up and down it's what they want, but you can't be sure about what their motivation, the real motivation, is.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Twin studies don't necessarily prove that transgenderism must be genetic, it may well be the result of a common 'hidden variable' that is itself genetic, interacting with society or whatever. Eg - you can use the same methodology when it comes to politics (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9221.2012.00915.x/abstract) but it's absurd to say that liberalism/conservatism is 'genetic'.

Other confounding factors are that even monozygotic twins don't have exactly the same genes, and that identical twin environments tend to be more similar than fraternal twins, which undermines what the method is based on.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 25, 2016

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But regardless of what people believe, there is no logical connection between innateness and support for pro-LGBT policies. Conceivably, someone could be any of the 4 possible options and still be consistent.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There's no evidence for saying that it's necessarily genetic, and something not being genetic does not necessarily make it 'unreal'. However politically inconvenient it is for you, and however much you may want there to be such a basis, for use against the people who made that video, there is not, and you're going to have to deal with that.

Ytlaya posted:

Not sure if you're aware of this, but the brain is an actual physical organ that is a part of your body. There are a number of difference between the brains of the average male and female person.
Those differences aren't as strong as you think, and the complicating factor is neuroplasticity - the brain will rewire itself with experience, that's how learning works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is the question "what causes it" or "what should cause it"? The first is an open question, without a strong scientific conclusion. Everyone has their own ideas, I have mine, others have theirs. The second is your decision alone. Is an identity even necessary? If so, why? If not, how?

• Locked thread