Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm of the opinion that transgenderism is almost purely a psychological phenomenon that develops over time, rather than an innate biologically congenital one that happens in the womb. Brain studies have indicated a lot of different things and neuroscience is still in its infancy. Some studies have shown that male and female brains are pretty much the same and that any differences are entirely due to nurture. Some studies have shown that trans women's brains are more similar to cis women's, while others have shown the opposite: that trans women are more similar to cis men, neurologically. Other studies have shown that young MTF transitioners are more similar to cis women, while older MTF transitioners are more like cis men. It's all very much up in the air and nothing is conclusive.

So right now I'm kinda sorta leaning towards the idea that transgenderism is more than likely a nurture sort of thing. People do not have innate genders in their brains. The desire to transition arises due to acquired psychological factors that occur during a person's lifetime, not due to innate congenital biology. Trans women are biological males who desire to live their lives as women and be socially recognized as women, while trans men are the opposite. Whether or not that makes them actual women or actual men is an open question. But I do think that gender roles as defined by the West are too rigid so it's good that some people are pushing the boundaries. In 20 years, I think gender noncomformity will be a little more accepted than it is today, although medically there probably won't be any more options for trans people than there are today. No miracle brain cure pills, no significant advancements in surgical tech or body modification tech. The majority of trans women will still be non-passing and obviously male, but hopefully they will be more accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Brass Key posted:

See also Delusions of Gender, which breaks down, study by study, why just about every bit of "men are like this, but women are like this" research is total bullshit.

Yep. That's why I think transgenderism is purely a psychological thing, not biological. There is no "gender identity"; brains are just brains. You are a man if you are a biologically male human being; you are a woman if you are a biologically female human being. That's what it means to be a man or a woman. And since there is no gender identity in the brain, what does it mean to be transgender? What does it mean for a trans woman to "identify" as a woman? Where did their identity come from? Cis women's identity as women comes from the simple fact that they were born female and grew up as female-bodied people. They don't have to fake it. I think trans women (and I say this as a trans woman myself) are just adopting the superficial socio-cultural trappings of womanhood (whatever that is) but I actually think cis women are just humoring us.

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 1, 2016

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

No, if you're biologically male or female you are biologically male or female, whether you are a man or a woman is entirely separate from that though it often correlates, and this is not a belief even remotely unique to people with a grounding in trans theory.

If being a man or a woman is not connected to biology (chromosomes, hormones, sex characteristics), and it's not connected to gender roles (men as breadwinners, women as housewives, etc.), then what does it mean to be a man or a woman? Nobody has a straight answer. It's not due to some innate congenital "brain gender", since that's been pretty much debunked. It's not due to social roles, since everyone agrees those are restrictive and artificial. So what is it? What makes some a man or a woman?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I don't believe you're actually trans. You come into the trans thread all the time to troll and then go "it's ok I'm trans". Being trans comes from the overwhelming feeling that your body isn't yours. If you were trans, you'd have felt that and you'd know that even if you can't define where it comes from it's definitely something innate to you. If the medical community didn't agree, then hormone replacement and gender confirmation surgery wouldn't be the widely accepted treatment for dysphoria.

Cis people have a mind and body that are in agreement that their birth sex is correct. Trans people's minds cannot accept the sex of the body they were born in to the point that it causes immense distress and sometimes even suicidal behavior. Nobody knows what causes this today, so you're just going down a disingenuous hole to try to argue that a gap in clinical knowledge means genital essentialism must be the only answer.

You guys sure like to accuse people of not being really trans when they say things you don't like, huh? I'm not going to doxx myself just to make you happy. I identify as trans because I've felt my body is "wrong" and I'm happier when people use female pronouns for me. But where do these come from? It'd be convenient to think that this is something innate, like some sort of true gender identity that is rooted in the brain or in our genes, because that might make it more "real". But if it's something that develops over time, that would point to a more psychological origin. Maybe it's different for early transitioners versus late transitioners.

• Locked thread