Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

OwlFancier posted:

No, LGBT rights are legitimized by the notion that allowing a person to exist harmoniously with themselves is important, regardless of why any discord may exist.

If a person believes wholeheartedly that their body does not fit them, the best thing for them is to either change their mind, or their body, so that they no longer have to feel that. All that matters is that people feel at peace with themselves and happy in their bodies and their lives, no proscription against body modification should stand in the way of that, and there is no requirement for a "legitimiate" biological basis for that, looking for one with the hope of justifying people's feelings is to completely miss the issue.

Same with gay conversion therapy, it's not wrong because homosexuality is unchangeable, it's wrong because there's no reason why a person shouldn't be homosexual. The same is true of trans people. Changing your body to match your gender is exactly as legitimate as not doing so.

The only real argument against reassignment surgery is if there are health issues that would complicate it that are stronger than the benefit it gives, and that's a conversation that needs to happen between patient, doctor, and mental health professional, not on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I mean, there is the fat acceptance movement, which people love to mock here but I don't necessarily have a problem with. I think it's crazy to say "you can be healthy at any size", but if a person genuinely feels happier at a given size who am I to judge that if they've weighed the health risks? People love to poo poo on fat acceptance advocates, but we have a whole forum here dedicated to worshipping musclebeasts who will die in their 40s from all the steroids they've injected into themselves. I don't think anyone should be forced to live in a body that distresses them just to satisfy the norms and morals of others.

Now, that's not to say that there aren't people who genuinely have eating disorders not because they wish to be fat/skinny but because of trauma that has led them into a spiral of negative behaviors. Those people obviously need treatment, but I'm not comfortable saying that everyone woman who's happy in a size 24 is a stupid mentally ill hambeast. Why poo poo on someone for being who they want to be and being happy about it?

Granted, when I was still in the closet I was happy to poo poo on lots of people, but if there's one thing I've learned through my personal journey it's that most of the making GBS threads on others' appearance is just the shitter projecting their own personal self-image issues onto everyone else. Now as a transitioning person, most of the dirty looks and comments I get are from people who look super unhappy.

I think it's all borne out of our society being generally superficial. We view beauty as virtuous, ugliness as evil. We treat the flesh like it is the core of the person, when the mind is truly what experiences the world. For the most part, we tell people they are free to experience life as they see fit, but for some reason everyone draws this hard line at changing your body. Except, isn't the experience of your own body, your literal vessel through the world, the most personal and inescapable experience of all? Why begrudge someone the ability to choose the one experience they must persist through forever?

That's the thing. 'Happy at any size' doesn't work because obesity has health consequences, period end of story. People can, and do, get along at some startlingly large sizes, but in the end they fall apart because the body's not adapted to carry it and the joints and internal organs (especially the circulatory system and pancreas) give up the ghost.

• Locked thread