Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Yes, in 20 years if a medicine or therapy were created that cured people's body dismorphia, nobody would ever feel any desire to cut off their dick or breasts and could get on living their life. That's the goal, no?

If you asked most trans people about this, if they could take the magic pill that would make them happy with their assigned gender, they'd say no - despite the huge social pressures to do so.

It's because it is a matter of identity. That you wouldn't be the same person.

So, unless you're proposing forced medication, this is pretty much a non starter. Being trans isn't a bad thing. People being cunts about it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

the trump tutelage posted:

Are there very many trans people who pursue treatment to have their body match their sex but who continue to perform their assigned gender after physically transitioning? If not, then what good is the sex vs gender distinction in any practical sense?

You're almost talking about "continue to perform their assigned gender after physically transitioning" as if gender expression is a binary - either you're "performing female" or "performing male". That doesn't even stand up to cursory scrutiny - there's very guyey and very girly cis girls.

The only way you can make it binary is to talk about it in terms of "are there many people who assert that they're female, have transition related medical procedures, and then go around telling everyone they're male?" No, obviously not, because it's an issue of identity, with is separate to expression - as many others here seem to get.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

PT6A posted:

The problem was that they treated you like poo poo based on your gender, not necessarily your genitals (although with regards with people who aren't trans, this is a distinction without a difference). There are trans women who get treated even worse (because people treat them like poo poo because they're women, but also because they're trans in many cases) and yet still feel transition is the best path forward for them for whatever reason.

This :). Thankyou!

I'm very wary of trying to speak to others experience because I'm very used to everyone trying to debate mine as if they know it better than I do, so I'll ask.

Is it fair to say, McAlister that it wasn't so much that you wanted to be a boy, but that you wanted the respect and opportunities that society tends to grant males and deny females? If that's the case, then yeah, I can totally get it, but it's really not related to the trans experience. As pt6a says, there's plenty of people who wish to transition m2f despite living in a profoundly transmisogynistic society. Fixing the relative power imbalances between men and women isn't going to change that

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I mean, there is the fat acceptance movement, which people love to mock here but I don't necessarily have a problem with. I think it's crazy to say "you can be healthy at any size", but if a person genuinely feels happier at a given size who am I to judge that if they've weighed the health risks? People love to poo poo on fat acceptance advocates, but we have a whole forum here dedicated to worshipping musclebeasts who will die in their 40s from all the steroids they've injected into themselves. I don't think anyone should be forced to live in a body that distresses them just to satisfy the norms and morals of others.

I dislike the use of the word "body dysmorphia" to describe this too. Generally people who suffer from body dysmorphia (and my mum was one), literally cannot see their body as it is. They will swear black and blue that they are fat - for example - , even as the ribs are poking through their skin. They will continue getting cosmetic surgery even after they are already classically beautiful, because they cannot see themselves as they are

I'm very much aware of what my body looks like and is configured like, even though it's very unpleasant to me and jars strongly against my identity. I'm totally aware of the good things about it. There's a clear endpoint in the medical aspects of my transition, is kinda what I'm saying, whereas with people with a body dysmorphic disorder, that endpoint generally isn't there

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death
I've pondered too whether it's a psychological thing or a neurological thing. I guess the main thing is that people in early childhood tend not to have psychological problems. You don't see depression, schizophrenia, etc. You do see things like autism.

Also. I find it weird that the anatomical configuration of a person at birth is such a thing in perception. You're really saying that you could know a girl for years, have no idea, treat her like any other woman, and then just finding out that one detail of her history would entirely change your perception of her.

I don't doubt btw that you'd think that - I just find it odd that we privilege the genitalia - which we almost never see other people's, as such a fundamental part of identity.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death
This conversation is pretty much on what constitutes being 'a man' or 'a woman'. If you define that as 'whatever the doctor wrote in your birth certificate based on the external appearance of your genitalia, and that's immutable, then well yeah. There's not much further to go from there is there

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Jebediah Kerman posted:

Not at all, I just don't recognize him as female. that's not thinking less of him. I'm just as much of his friend as I've always been.

You should probably tell her that so she doesn't have to live under the false belief that you think her identity is valid.

Basically if you don't, you're a poo poo friend, and a lovely human being.

[real talk: it'll never happen anyway because your trans friend doesn't exist and you're a lovely troll]

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 29, 2016

• Locked thread