Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

OwlFancier posted:

What you are asking me to do is akin to saying "no, ignore the societal implications of eugenics for a moment, I'm just really interested in the theory, honest."

The majority of people who talk about the innate biological basis for behaviours are people trying to find justification for why we shouldn't accept any behaviours other than their pet ones. I have little patience for them or their arguments.

Hormones can have massive impacts on behavior. Oxytocin and it's relation to mother/child bonding is pretty important in challenging long held gender roles for how mothers should behave towards their children, as prolonged lack of contact with and infant due to medical issues can cause women to not immediately feel the level of attachment they "should" and they have to deal with feeling like a terrible mother when all that is happening is biology got delayed.

Its also part of why infants in neonatal care wards do better when they are touched by a person, among a bunch of other effects. Full on kangaroo care is not entirely supported by evidence, but human interaction with infants improved their outlook is.

If hormones are this critical to human development, yeah they probably effect behaviors in adults to some degree as well, and that's interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Considering the vast majority of trans individuals i have spoken with state they knew something was off very early in their lives, I do not think many would be accepting to any therapy that "corrected" them. Some might, especially if their dysphoria is not as pronounced, health reasons prevent a full transition, etc. But you are dealing with someone's identity they have felt since they were a child, and that's a deeper thing than depression.

To me, the real goal is researching the hormonal and other aspects of gender dysphoria is being able to identify it early and allow treatments for transition far earlier in the person's life, when it is far less painful and grueling. If we know how it actually works, we can objectively tell a parent "your child is trans, here is the treatment" when the kid is like 3 or something and does not even personally understand gender yet.

To the thread's point, there is probably some aspect of the hormones that cause you to grow one set of genitals vs another also affecting your gender, and the better we understand it, the faster and easier we can make the process of transitioning.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Ok I should rephrase, I understand mechanically how getting pregnant and it killing you works but I am having difficulty understanding the rational basis for why it is a good thing.

God said be fruitful and multiply, and that is the greatest thing a woman can do with the gifts God has given her.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Lichy posted:

I multiply fruity smoothies on the reg does that count towards Gods plan?

Only if an infant pops out at the end.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I feel there is a mathematical issue with the notion of multiplying by dying in childbirth.

Most won't and its about fulfilling your purpose by creating new life, not mathematically growing the species.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The idea of gender being 100% a construct is likely wrong, and trans individuals are pretty much the proof of that. A poo poo ton of it is constructed, but there is some kind of link between sex and gender, and trans people are an example of it not working 100% perfectly. People also are "supposed" to be straight and they are not, and are "supposed" to be between 4'10 and 6'0 tall, poo poo does not work right all the time and there is no reason to be assholes to people whose gender does not match their sex.

trying to 100% remove gender from humans does not work since we are social animals, and that's just not how we work. primates are super social in general, and form complex relationships with sex/gender being a major part of it. to think we are completely removed from that is just wrong, but 99% of evo psych has been bullshit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Coolwhoami posted:

Research into this has found it to be challenging to differentiate between people of the sort you describe and people who later stop experiencing dysmorphia (in children to teens, that is). There are some differences between the two (e.g. the sort of self-reported feelings they have about it, etc) but they overlap too frequently to be satisfactorily reliable. A current approach known as the Dutch protocol is a response to this problem, but is not perfect (and as I understand it quite controversial for some). In effect, we have a problem where puberty is a strong force for determining the concreteness of gender identity, but undergoing puberty makes transitioning substantially more difficult.

Arguably this problem is due to gender terms being a matter of language, not of empirical reality. Thier high degree of flexibility and breadth makes for categories that are insufficient for making judgements about their being concrete.

Yeah, I know its still murky as hell, which is why we need to learn more. Something is going on, and the better we can pinpoint it, the better we can help people and offer them the chance to life their lives as they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

and that is why goons hate goons the most, because it's a constant reminder of how much we all suck

speak for yourself

• Locked thread