Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If Microsoft creates an Xbox that blends Xbox with the Windows app store and allows Xbox games to be sold through the MS app store, it can make lots and lots and lots of money.

What this does is allows Microsoft to take a cut of video game sales through the app store, kills off the secondhand game market which is what they've been wanting to do since before the bone, and dip into Steam sales on the PC. If I had the opportunity to buy a new game and I had a new Xbox, I'd buy the Xbox/PC compatible version rather than the solely PC version via Steam.

Most of the highest-selling/highly grossing apps on the app store(s) are games anyways, meaning they can microtransaction the poo poo out of people as well. Blend it with their tablet(s) too via in-home streaming? gently caress me.

As it stands, MS has: 1) Bullshit in the form of apps on the app store, 2) devices that serve no purpose on their own other than business/school really, and 3) a major stake in the video game world as both the primary carrier of PC gaming and the Xbox. They can get good apps (games, really), devices connected to a centralized Xbox for gaming/TV on the toilet/in bed/etc. and can take market share from Steam/Origin and simply expand upon their current Xbox vs. PC business. This also allows them a higher margin as a loss-leader because their users can be more easily monetized when they use a PC, an Xbox, and maybe a Tablet.

Of course, this is Microsoft so we'll just get a thinner tablet and a smaller Xbox that generates a loss because Sony is simply better at devices than Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tenzarin posted:

The windows store is nothing but the new form of Games for Windows Live. Thats right your in a DBZ movie, NOW WE FIGHT FREEZERS BROTHER! The cancer of PC gaming is back!

Wasn't it plagued by always-on requirements as DRM and poo poo netcode? Both could be fixed if they gave a poo poo. Concept would/should have worked.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Popular Human posted:

Why do so many people want to gas the thread about mid-cycle console upgrades? What are you all trying to hide?

They are robots made from the bones of last-gen consoles looking to destroy the next generation.

• Locked thread