Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Tenzarin posted:

Hey don't be bitter cone bro, the xbone is the one console not on the rerelease cycle yet.

Actually it was the first one to have console rerelease rumors and they're still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ummmmmmm hi we're trying to have a discussion about videogames here

thanks

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Wasn't it plagued by always-on requirements as DRM and poo poo netcode? Both could be fixed if they gave a poo poo. Concept would/should have worked.

It had a lot of problems, just like the new thing does. It takes years to build a platform that doesn't suck.

But also, I think it faces the Google+ problem. Steam (like Facebook) is already established, and no matter how good you make your competitor, you have a crazy uphill battle.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Popular Human posted:

I can't wait for all the games on the PS4.0 to be barely-playable slideshows a year after the 4.5 comes out because devs are poo poo at optimizing games and they want you to upgrade anyway.

Most devs probably won't care if you upgrade unless they're first party

They'd rather get the biggest user base for their games

I don't think it will be a huge problem but there will always be some upsets along this journey called life

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Mods???

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

I hope the NX is good.

It will be

Real good

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I hope there's never a PS5, I hope they keep updating the PS4 forever tbh

We had to wait three years for basic PS3 features like appearing offline

They can't be trusted to make new consoles

Just, maybe, don't do the upgrade thing so quickly!!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like they'll announce their next mobile game but not anything about NX.

Nintendo only ever talks about their
Mobile games during business calls, which probably says a lot about what they think of them.

Console games, though, get the fun and fanfare of E3 or Nintendo Directs.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Just announced:

NX releases March 2017. Will NOT be at E3 !?

Also, the new Zelda has been delayed to 2017, and an NX version is officially confirmed.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

Animal Crossing is already a "check in every day and play for a few minutes then put it down" type of game already so it's honestly not surprising that they'd go mobile with it.

Sounds like they're just making a companion app for the console versions, though, rather than a real AC game. I feel like it will be like Happy Home Designer or whatever, which would be a shame imo

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Friends, exciting news. Microsoft is making another new version of the Xbox One controller!!! This will be.... version 4? I think.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe the NX is the N64...GB

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

univbee posted:

Physical is still too huge, especially in Japan where people don't do credit cards. See this?

This was a lineup to RESERVE a regular edition of the most recent Pokémon game. On 3DS. Which you could buy digitally without putting on pants. This was just a year and a half ago.

omg why

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

People in America do that for iPhones though so I guess it's whatever

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Judge not a country by the character of its nerds

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

It's like a glimpse into the future of Donald Trump's America

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

HyperPuma posted:

i find the difference in bitrate between streaming and bluray pretty noticeable sometimes, particularly with macroblocking in low light scenes

the sad thing is i think netflix could probably fix that without going all the way to bluray level bitrates but i guess most people just dont give a poo poo

to tie it into the topic, this is why the push for 4k is such a joke to me, nothing except uhd blurays have the bitrate to make it worth it

I almost decided to go all digital with movies because discs were such a hassle lol

Then I decided to watch a blu-ray immediately after Netflix and the different was super obvious and insane

Now I'm back on the blu-ray bandwagon and yeah, less interested in 4K since it seems like that's gonna be almost entirely a streaming thing. Does 4K streaming even look as good as 1080p blu-ray?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Nintendo says they're not doing a direct at E3 at all this year. It's literally 100% Zelda, and nothing else.

Nintendo, I'm mad at you. We're fighting.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

At what point did I dispute that the PS1 was a successful console?

my crystal ball says you will regret making this post when stux replies to it no matter what he says

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

And also to everyone else

But Mario Kart will be fun :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like if anyone could make VR awesome though it's Nintendo. VR is best for slow, non-action games and action games with cockpit view.

Animal Crossing could translate pretty faithfully I think. Star Fox, too.

Metroid Prime with less focus on combat and more puzzles (the visible helmet would act like a cockpit to stop nausea)

Wario Ware minigames

Mario Kart, but still in third person because screw the idea that all VR has to be from first person perspective.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel bad for nintendo sorta. they make some great games, but now they are just stuck in a hole and just keep digging. the 3ds is the last good thing they are still making good games on.

Hey, the Wii U is

Dapper_Swindler posted:

still making... games on.

oh

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Ryoga posted:

Fitting considering the og ps3 was a space heater.

Which was the better space heater: PS3 or 360

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Mobile gaming is possibly not the future anymore, it's dominated by a couple major games and everything else seems to get buried.

Unless some kind of major change comes along, like set top boxes with actual controllers becoming big, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

If Neo launches this year, the power difference won't matter.

Being the mainstream platform of choice + a year head-start on the upgrade train is too much for Microsoft to overcome.

Then they'll just release another PS4 revision in like 2 years that's more powerful than the Scorpio.

• Locked thread