Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Among other things I'm an SA lurker, a pool enthusiast, a poker player and all around degenerate gambler. For anyone who doubts the truth of these stories all I can ask is have you ever been involved in this culture? Nothing Jase1 has said comes anywhere near being unbelievable. The personalities are standard and the situations make sense. I dunno, maybe he's making poo poo up. All I can tell you is even if he is full of poo poo he's been around pool/poker/gambling.

TL:DR haters keep hating.

Same here, I've gone pretty far down some pool rabbit holes and none of this is really crazier than poo poo that definitely does happen. Pool and gambling (both separately, but especially together) don't really attract the most normal, well-adjusted people. That's putting it really lightly. Anyone who puts the hundreds upon hundreds of hours to get meaningfully good at pool in bars and poolhalls has pretty much met the entire bottom of the barrel of society. It's loving glorious and outrageously fun in a degenerate Runyonesque way, but yeah terrible if you are trying to be a well-adjusted 9-5er or have zero clue how to handle yourself.

There's a lot more I want to say about how twisted and depraved serious pool players are, but it is probably best left unsaid. It's a game where the background noise half the time is a bunch of gang members, meth dealers, legit alcoholics, serious gamblers, and other people who are able to be out past midnight on weeknights. I suppose you could play pool in nice bars and poo poo, but then you just get drunk-rear end college kids or yuppies setting their loving drinks down on the table or trying to talk for 5 minutes between turns and taking an hour per game. You play pool in a shithole and the shadiest motherfucker in there will move out of the way when you make your shot no matter how crowded it is.

pool is sacred

Captain Monkey posted:

I dunno, I played pool and poker and such for a number of years, and while I have a story or two that are pared down (read: realistic) versions of a couple of the stories, the sheer volume and the over-the-top nature of some of the stories just makes them seem really childishly ~*cool dude*~.

I realize that for people like Earwicker who haven't ever played pool in a pool hall or been to a poker game (illegal or not!!! some home games are illegal bro!), it's cool to think that there's a REAL LIFE poker-and-pool master version of Saul Goodman wheelin' around out there. But that just doesn't really happen. Life is a lot less wacky than that. Sorry.

You're not really worth responding to, but... you haven't played much pool in places where the drinks cost less than 5 bucks. Once you're in a place with sub 3 dollar drinks, it's a whole other scene. Once you get down to the 1-2 dollar/drink nights, you're in another world entirely.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread