Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Also can you afford rent on your own? You could see if they could work a deal out to lease you the next door apartment or whatnot. Or some other work around if your ex refuses to leave or take her name off.
The landlord is more likely to work with you if they know they can get something out of it/you're the party more likely to give them something. But yeah talk to a lawyer first, because depending on your state or how slimey the landlord is they could also see this as you have skin in this and she doesn't and see that you're the one they should bother pursuing to recoup the debt.

This is what I did in a similar situation. I went from a 3-bedroom with my ex and her friend to a 1 bedroom by myself in the same complex without having to pay any fees for breaking the lease. The management company also transferred the security deposit and pre-paid rent from the first apartment to the second one, since I was the only person paying any bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread