Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've recently played through all of the Quake Steam Edition and both the original expansion packs were just exercises in frustration (Armagon being the slightly better one, obviously). The new ones are pretty amazing, though.

e: Oops, sniped. Quake Expansion 1 update on last page.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Time to blast through another Quake episode!

Scourge of Armagon Part 2/3

anilEhilated posted:

I've recently played through all of the Quake Steam Edition and both the original expansion packs were just exercises in frustration (Armagon being the slightly better one, obviously). The new ones are pretty amazing, though.

I feel like Scourge isn't too bad throughout. It certainly has its cool moments. Dissolution does have plenty of low points though. I haven't played through DOPA or DOMA yet, so I'm excited to see those!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Any Quake map with a modicum of skill behind it is fascinating to me, having denounced the game at launch and never gave it a chance until recently.

There's just so much cool stuff to look at, and these videos almost always give me new ideas for my tabletop RPG group.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

This mod seems really cool. I especially like that they added more guns, because if there's one area where I really felt vanilla Quake was a clear step down from Doom, it was the repetitiveness of the weapon selection - two near identical shotguns, two near identical nailguns, and two explosive weapons. Adding in three extra weapons (or more perhaps?) really makes it look a bit more varied.

Also the discussion about the Shambler not having fur is something I'd never thought about. I have always assumed they were Yetis with lightning so of course the white stuff is fur.

Is there any way to destroy the lightning towers at the end? Or disable them with hitting a switch somewhere? Since the ending text mentioned destroying the generator, if this was a more recent game, I'd 100% assume that it'd be destroyable terrain but idk if the Quake engine really supports destructibles to that extent.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Right, a few comments:

At 29:12 you saw a gremlin clawing something. That was a dead gremlin it was clawing, and that was reviving it. The gremlins can revive any monster that isn't gibbed!

At 30:40 you talk about low-framerate animation. You also mentioned that in the first video. The Quake 1 engine does not support rotating brush models in maps, the only way to get rotating animations in the engine is to use polygon models. Polygon models can rotate freely, as you can see with monsters etc. Any time you see something rotating in SoA, it's a polygon model made to look like map geometry, and hence it can also only animate at the same rate as other entities with polygon models!
Another fun fact about models in Quake 1 is that not all entity models you see are polygon models. The "boxy" items in maps are all brush models, for some reason, they're stored as BSP files inside the PAK file. That's the ammo packs, health kits, and explosive boxes. I'm not entirely sure, but I think those items have light maps calculated for them during map compilation, so the boxy items will have correct lighting for their position in the game world.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

nielsm posted:

The gremlins can revive any monster that isn't gibbed!
Not quite: They can turn any non-gibbed corpse into a new Gremlin. The Gremlins are a weirdly complex enemy for something that usually dies in a matter of seconds.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Armagon awaits...
Scourge of Armagon Part 3/3

nielsm posted:

Right, a few comments:

At 29:12 you saw a gremlin clawing something. That was a dead gremlin it was clawing, and that was reviving it. The gremlins can revive any monster that isn't gibbed!

At 30:40 you talk about low-framerate animation. You also mentioned that in the first video. The Quake 1 engine does not support rotating brush models in maps, the only way to get rotating animations in the engine is to use polygon models. Polygon models can rotate freely, as you can see with monsters etc. Any time you see something rotating in SoA, it's a polygon model made to look like map geometry, and hence it can also only animate at the same rate as other entities with polygon models!
Another fun fact about models in Quake 1 is that not all entity models you see are polygon models. The "boxy" items in maps are all brush models, for some reason, they're stored as BSP files inside the PAK file. That's the ammo packs, health kits, and explosive boxes. I'm not entirely sure, but I think those items have light maps calculated for them during map compilation, so the boxy items will have correct lighting for their position in the game world.

Carpator Diei posted:

Not quite: They can turn any non-gibbed corpse into a new Gremlin. The Gremlins are a weirdly complex enemy for something that usually dies in a matter of seconds.

Holy cow! That's some cool information! I've looked at the Quake .pak files before and saw the non-map BSPs before, but I didn't think they were the actual item models. Also had no idea about the Gremlins. The footage I showed was like the only time I had ever seen one do that before :haw:

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Another mission pack!

Quake: Dissolution of Eternity
Part 1/4

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now this one, this one is bad.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
This is an expansion that probably could have been very good if everything in it had just been a little bit more well-thought-out.
Case in point: The cool cluster grenades only do the clustering if they explode on the ground or in the air; if they hit an enemy, they just explode like standard grenades. In other words, the clustering is pretty much entirely pointless.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The alternate ammo seems cool enough, though it'd have been neat to have a boosted shotgun. The level design itself though seemed kind of...uninspiring? Not actively trash, just kind of whatever.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The main problem with this pack is the damned Hell Spawn.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey, more Quake bosses we actually have to shoot!
Dissolution of Eternity Part 2/4

I agree with a lot of the comments you all have about this expansion. It's certainly got problems. It's weird, Rogue made this pretty meh expansion, but they had just released Strife, which I thought was pretty great. Weirder still is that this isn't the worst thing from Rogue we're gonna play in the LP...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Temin_Dump posted:

Weirder still is that this isn't the worst thing from Rogue we're gonna play in the LP...
Quake 2 64?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

When it comes to Christmas, I'm stupidly easily pleased when it comes to related games. Nuclear Winter wasn't all that bad; I loved the chintzy music and backtracking the first levels.

And it was short!

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Here's some more Quake for all of y'all!
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity Part 3/4

I mean I think Quake 2 64 is alright for what it is. We will see eventually...

THE BAR posted:

When it comes to Christmas, I'm stupidly easily pleased when it comes to related games. Nuclear Winter wasn't all that bad; I loved the chintzy music and backtracking the first levels.

And it was short!

I mean I find it really charming myself too, but I feel like it's certainly the weakest of the DN3D expansions.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Temin_Dump posted:

I mean I find it really charming myself too, but I feel like it's certainly the weakest of the DN3D expansions.

Can't argue with that!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't think you did use the Plasma in Dissolution of Eternity's first 3 videos. It's also odd that you complained about it not being as good as using the regular Thunderbolt when it has separate ammo. It would have been good on the Hephastus enemies, for instance, as they're stationary, to save ammo for better guns.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

He fired it once at some chaff while sped up, didn't seem too impressive.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

The Quake to end all Quakes.
Dissolution of Eternity Part 4/4

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think you did use the Plasma in Dissolution of Eternity's first 3 videos. It's also odd that you complained about it not being as good as using the regular Thunderbolt when it has separate ammo. It would have been good on the Hephastus enemies, for instance, as they're stationary, to save ammo for better guns.

I did give it a fair shake in this video, and it was better than I remembered it being.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

That loving dragon.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The dragon being flying and quite mobile looked like it added some difficulty, but it felt a little out of place. I can't even explain why but it just seemed a mismatch with the rest of the game.

I legitimately thought we'd already done Doom 64, but I also thought it was just a straight port like Saturn or Jaguar, so...let's see.

Temin used it like once in the second video just to show it off, but that was it. In this video where it got used more extensively, it seemed pretty solid. Not as good as the Thunderbolt or either flavor of Super Nailgun, but seemed to do a pretty solid chunk of damage.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I forgot, I actually have both these expansion packs. I got them through GoG. So I tried out the plasma for myself. It turns out there's a pretty neat feature with it: When it impacts, it sends bolts of lightning to hit multiple nearby enemies (at least 4) in a decent radius. That's what it's good for - auto-hitting AoE damage. You could zap enemies from around corners by placing the ball right.

You can jump through the stained glass pictures of the four horsemen in the Temple of Pain, there's goodies behind the glass.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 1, 2022

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I forgot, I actually have both these expansion packs. I got them through GoG. So I tried out the plasma for myself. It turns out there's a pretty neat feature with it: When it impacts, it sends bolts of lightning to hit multiple nearby enemies (at least 4) in a decent radius. That's what it's good for - auto-hitting AoE damage. You could zap enemies from around corners by placing the ball right.

You can jump through the stained glass pictures of the four horsemen in the Temple of Pain, there's goodies behind the glass.

So it's a rocket launcher. It even deals similar damage - 3 shots to down a Fiend, 2 for an Ogre.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

THE BAR posted:

So it's a rocket launcher. It even deals similar damage - 3 shots to down a Fiend, 2 for an Ogre.

Not quite, the rocket launcher uses splash damage, which falls off in distance from impact. Here, the lightning has a pretty decent reach from the impact point, and it doesn't seem to fall off. Additionally, an explosion's splash damage hurts the player. The lightning only targets enemies, so the splash damage to the player is only from the plasma ball and the player needs to be quite close to the impact point to be hurt at all.

I used it on the Overlord and it helpfully zapped all the summoned Wrath/Wraith's at the same time.

(I can also confirm that the power shield does indeed completely negate health damage from the front, although splash damage can still hit armor. I grabbed the secret one from the room after the drop in Tomb of the Overlord and took minimal damage from that nasty fight.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MagusofStars posted:

The dragon being flying and quite mobile looked like it added some difficulty, but it felt a little out of place. I can't even explain why but it just seemed a mismatch with the rest of the game
Quake is grimy, and dragons are majestic. Sure, it's a big scary monster, but it's not viscerally unpleasant the way everything else in Quake is.

THE BAR posted:

Seems more like a BFG variant to me. :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You never posted it in this thread, but since I want to bring it up:

Quake Movie Night (two months ago)

My follow up to that is posting Scourge Done Slick, the QdQ team magnum opus speedrun machinima of Scourge of Armagon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eymULOs849Y

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks to this LP, I got an itch to play Quake II, so I got the Yamagi Quake 2 source port (and a Q2 from GoG) and have been blasting through the game on Hard/100% Secrets.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Not doing the Nightmare/Very Hard difficulty?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Aces High posted:

Not doing the Nightmare/Very Hard difficulty?

Oh. Sure. Right, that difficulty doesn't do the monster respawns stuff. I'll restart on that. FEDIT: Back up to the Detention unit already.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

You brought it up a bit in the video but the last 3 levels of this expansion are one of the sonically worst experiences I’ve ever had in a video game.

The wizard’s mansion level soundtrack has this horrible tinnitus like whining which you can hear in the video (and I’m amazed you didn’t comment on because it’s AWFUL) not to mention the sawblade noises. All of these are like 10x louder in the actual levels too.

Also I got stuck for ages on the Fire section of the elemental levels because I saw a Cthon model and just assumed you couldn’t kill it.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

New game time! Alright!

Doom 64
Part 1/6

Not quite, the rocket launcher uses splash damage, which falls off in distance from impact. Here, the lightning has a pretty decent reach from the impact point, and it doesn't seem to fall off. Additionally, an explosion's splash damage hurts the player. The lightning only targets enemies, so the splash damage to the player is only from the plasma ball and the player needs to be quite close to the impact point to be hurt at all.

I used it on the Overlord and it helpfully zapped all the summoned Wrath/Wraith's at the same time.

(I can also confirm that the power shield does indeed completely negate health damage from the front, although splash damage can still hit armor. I grabbed the secret one from the room after the drop in Tomb of the Overlord and took minimal damage from that nasty fight.)
I literally had no idea about the splash damage. I will certainly try to use the plasma ammo in our eventual co-op stream of this :haw:

nielsm posted:

You never posted it in this thread, but since I want to bring it up:

Quake Movie Night (two months ago)

My follow up to that is posting Scourge Done Slick, the QdQ team magnum opus speedrun machinima of Scourge of Armagon:

I actually had Scourge Done Slick downloaded, but I could only get it to play in WinQuake, so it didn't get lumped in with my batch file. I think there's a potential for another Quake movie night for sure. Mostly so we can watch the longer demos and stuff I missed like this.

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 5, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I really hate all the sound effects and music in Doom 64. I just find all of it unpleasant to listen to.

- The PC re-release (unofficial) put a secret exit on level 1. If you shoot all the barrels, finishing with the one in the start room, it opens up a secret exit (to "Cat and Mouse" at the start.
- The imp fireballs definitely move slower in this version compared to the PC version.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That exit was always there (this game made me hunt down a gamepak so I didn't have to pistol start every level) since that level contains one of the artifacts to supercharge the new weapon. At least I think that's in that level, been a few years since I played this

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Im pretty sure the rerelease didnt add that secret exit for lvl 1

Also decino put out a doom 64 monster video like... monday. Mancubus had their spread widened. Also Doom 64 uses a different tick rate

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Since you mentioned Doom 64 in the last video and said it wasn't just a straight port, I installed it on Steam for myself just to try it out and it's tons of fun. The different graphics make it feel a little different, but it's been a good play thus far.

I also found that secret level 32 from destroying all the barrels that people are mentioning and...let's just say that I'm looking forward to seeing Temin do it straight from level 1 because holy poo poo.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's really cool how Doom64 is much more like a total conversion/expansion than just a port.

About Hell Knights: Knights and Barons not infighting isn't actually because of them sharing projectiles. Monsters are immune to projectiles fired from monsters with the same ID regardless of what the projectile is, and take damage from projectiles that come from monsters with a different ID, again regardless of the projectile. Knights and Barons are specifically hard-coded to ignore each others projectiles, so their shots won't cause infighting in regular Doom even if you mod them to shoot plasma or imp fireballs or whatever. Bit weird that they took this out for Doom64.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have to wonder about how much of the engine is really the same between the PC version and Doom 64. The BSP sector/line/thing visibility calculation and map format can probably be largely the same, but the way of putting pixels on the screen has to be quite different, so it can actually use the capabilities of the N64.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have an almost visceral dislike for Doom 64. It looks like claymation and sounds like Quake and I find it very off-putting. Playing an FPS (even an essentially 2D one like Doom) with a controller instead of keyboard (and mouse) is also a barrier to me enjoying it, but even with the PC version I just can't get over how it looks and sounds. It's Doom but all wrong, and I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It certainly doesn't help that Doom64 is one of the darkest games ever. First time I plugged it into my N64 I had to find out how to change the brightness settings for my TV because I still could barely see anything with the game brightness cranked to max.

Maybe they just really wanted people to play it in the complete darkness of night?