Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

I just realized we started posting Doom 64 in October, which is appropriate and really cool :haw:

Doom 64 Part 2/6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The effect for monsters teleporting in is really weak, it took me a bit to even be sure that it was happening. I guess it helps for sneaky ambushes but when it happens right in front of you it doesn't look great.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Update time!

Doom 64 Part 3/6

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Re: How much did the official developers learn from the community - it's hard to say, but Episode 4 of Doom 1 used one of the "Instant Lowering Floor" tricks in its map, which I don't think appeared in any id-created wads before.

- With clever use of lines, you can fake keycard-requiring triggers (although you won't get the official message), some maps use that trick - it appeared in Eternal Doom more than once. In my current map I'm working on, I've got a touchplate which will be accessible from the start of the map, but "requires" all three keys before it will work, through lots of clever sector trickery.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You know, I stand by what I said before about why I dislike this game, but I've come to realise that there's one major factor I overlooked. It's the coloured lighting.

In the rare places where there's no coloured lighting, I don't hate it. I still probably wouldn't play it because it's still wrong, but it doesn't look quite so incredibly bad as all the rest of the game, with those coloured light effects. It just looks awful. People talk about liking how this game looks, and I just don't get it. It looks bad. It looks really bad. And it would probably look ok if the whole thing wasn't bathed in those awful coloured lights.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Doom 64 Part 4/6

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Re: How much did the official developers learn from the community - it's hard to say, but Episode 4 of Doom 1 used one of the "Instant Lowering Floor" tricks in its map, which I don't think appeared in any id-created wads before.

- With clever use of lines, you can fake keycard-requiring triggers (although you won't get the official message), some maps use that trick - it appeared in Eternal Doom more than once. In my current map I'm working on, I've got a touchplate which will be accessible from the start of the map, but "requires" all three keys before it will work, through lots of clever sector trickery.

Are you talking about a situation where they give you the a key, but it's a situation where the key is behind a walk-over line that unlocks a different walk-over line somewhere else?

Tiggum posted:

You know, I stand by what I said before about why I dislike this game, but I've come to realise that there's one major factor I overlooked. It's the coloured lighting.

In the rare places where there's no coloured lighting, I don't hate it. I still probably wouldn't play it because it's still wrong, but it doesn't look quite so incredibly bad as all the rest of the game, with those coloured light effects. It just looks awful. People talk about liking how this game looks, and I just don't get it. It looks bad. It looks really bad. And it would probably look ok if the whole thing wasn't bathed in those awful coloured lights.

I dunno, I like the colored lighting. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The dart trap the monsters wouldn't enter is clever. In my current map I've got a section with crushers and monsters, and I decided that it was too easy if you could lure the monsters under the crushers, so I put monster blocking lines across them.
- The thing at the end of Blood Keep was definitely scripting. I am currently working on a "lights out room transforms" thing using standard actions only, but it only really works if the player goes through at a normal pace. Not so much for moving very slowly.
- I think that Doom 64 is spawning the monsters fresh instead of teleporting them in because they make their alert sound after they show up. At least in OG Doom, monsters elsewhere are alerted and then teleport in afterwards, but you never hear the alert sound.

Temin_Dump posted:

Are you talking about a situation where they give you the a key, but it's a situation where the key is behind a walk-over line that unlocks a different walk-over line somewhere else?

Something like that, yes. I've used techniques where I place a "Walkover - repeatable trigger" line someplace, but it doesn't do anything until another trigger is activated. It makes for a highly effective surprise to have a hallway which has been safe to walk up and down 1000 times suddenly disgorge a trap after the 1001st time. It's obviously not the same thing as using scripting or the special Doom 64 linedefs.

That thing at the start of the video in "Eye of the Storm" where you seemingly need to kill all the monsters in X place before the blue key lowers, that could certainly be a case of Doom 64 scripting where you need to kill special monsters. However, it could also possibly be such a case of a dual-trigger linedef, where you need to cross a linedef in place X to lower one control sector, and in place Y to lower another control sector, and on the way back from both X and Y are repeatable triggers which will lower sector Z if both X and Y control sectors are lowered.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 21, 2022

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Catching up on the last couple Doom 64 videos:

-You mentioned the "offset stick" trick to double your speed. As you might expect, the speedrun basically sets this at the very beginning and then never resets back to normal speed. What you might not expect is that because you can no longer go backwards normally, they actually map "walk backwards" to one of the N64 shoulder buttons just so they can still back up if needed. Also, since 64guy is moving much faster than expected, they can do all sorts of shenanigans with skipping trigger lines, making impossible jumps, and abusing the game's weird position rules to basically grab poo poo through walls and off ledges.
-The original X-Com was all the way back in 1994, the sequel was out in 1995 and the third game came out right around the same time as Doom 64. And even then it was a common experience to miss 95% or whatever shots, so your accuracy joke fit right in the timeline.
-The moat/castle levels were both pretty cool. It also helped that it doesn't seem like they overstayed their welcome like some of the WAD ones did.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I definitely noticed monster sprites overlapping walls sometimes. It seems like the renderer might not be using a Z-buffer, but tries to rely entirely on Z-sorting, which can definitely cause that kind of glitches in some cases.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Our time with Doom 64 is already nearing its end.
Doom 64 Part 5/6

- The dart trap the monsters wouldn't enter is clever. In my current map I've got a section with crushers and monsters, and I decided that it was too easy if you could lure the monsters under the crushers, so I put monster blocking lines across them.
- The thing at the end of Blood Keep was definitely scripting. I am currently working on a "lights out room transforms" thing using standard actions only, but it only really works if the player goes through at a normal pace. Not so much for moving very slowly.
- I think that Doom 64 is spawning the monsters fresh instead of teleporting them in because they make their alert sound after they show up. At least in OG Doom, monsters elsewhere are alerted and then teleport in afterwards, but you never hear the alert sound.

That thing at the start of the video in "Eye of the Storm" where you seemingly need to kill all the monsters in X place before the blue key lowers, that could the a case of Doom 64 scripting where you need to kill special monsters. However, it could possibly be such a case of a dual-trigger linedef, where you need to cross a linedef in place X to lower one control sector, and in place Y to lower another control sector, and on the way back from both X and Y are repeatable triggers which will lower sector Z if both X and Y control sectors are lowered.

I gotta say, I love discovering and hearing about Doom map engineering stuff like this!

MagusofStars posted:

Catching up on the last couple Doom 64 videos:

-You mentioned the "offset stick" trick to double your speed. As you might expect, the speedrun basically sets this at the very beginning and then never resets back to normal speed. What you might not expect is that because you can no longer go backwards normally, they actually map "walk backwards" to one of the N64 shoulder buttons just so they can still back up if needed. Also, since 64guy is moving much faster than expected, they can do all sorts of shenanigans with skipping trigger lines, making impossible jumps, and abusing the game's weird position rules to basically grab poo poo through walls and off ledges.

This rules! Hearing about speedrunning tricks like this is always so cool!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The secret exit levels and which map numbers they go to are probably hardcoded because the data format for the maps was made to be simple. Typical for software of the time was to have fixed-size data structures, so e.g. a Linedef always occupies exactly 14 bytes, a Thing always occupies exactly 10 bytes, and so on. Level exits are always set on a linedef (because the linedef is activating it, either as a switch or on walk-over), but there's no space left in the linedef structure to store which level number to go to.
The Doom 64 map format doesn't seem to do anything to improve the level exit/secret exit situation, so I assume it uses hardcoded map numbers too.

Duke Nukem 3D could do some more interesting things, in part because it had some more free form-ish data fields on the items on the map, it used items to represent switches instead of walls, and they came up with the madness that is the "sector effector". It also had large parts of the game logic in a text format scripting language!

Quake expanded the options massively by simply making the entities on the map have a dynamic size list of name/value pairs, so you could add any data you wanted to any entity, and use text to describe it too, and the QuakeC programs could then read any custom data and work with it.

Edit: Oh yeah, and minor correction: Quake did not use QRad for lighting, that's Quake 2! The "rad" is for Radiosity, since Quake 2 did wild things for its time with light-emitting surfaces and bounce lighting. Quake 1 just had a simple lightmap calculator, that makes lightmaps for the direct emission from point light sources, and it's all white light.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 19, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Temin_Dump posted:

Our time with Doom 64 is already nearing its end.
Doom 64 Part 5/6

I gotta say, I love discovering and hearing about Doom map engineering stuff like this!

- I'm not even a very experienced mapper, I just like stubbornly trying to find ways to use standard actions to do tricks. I have come up with a few ideas I hadn't seen before, but most of the cool tricks other people thought of first. I saw a dual-switch effect in a certain level of Epic2.wad and opened the map up in the editor to see how it worked.

- You can look forward to my new WAD, "A nonsensical series of switches that don't really go anywhere" (aNSoSTDRGA.wad), coming in late 202X! (I might shorten the title to "A Nonsensical Series of Switches." Ohhhh, A self-rising staircase... made of switches!
- Ohhhhhhh.... a button which crumbles when you press it? That's a neat idea. I think I can do that! I'm not sure where I'd use it, but I think I could do it.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Time to end this once and for all!

Doom 64 Part 6/6

nielsm posted:

The secret exit levels and which map numbers they go to are probably hardcoded because the data format for the maps was made to be simple. Typical for software of the time was to have fixed-size data structures, so e.g. a Linedef always occupies exactly 14 bytes, a Thing always occupies exactly 10 bytes, and so on. Level exits are always set on a linedef (because the linedef is activating it, either as a switch or on walk-over), but there's no space left in the linedef structure to store which level number to go to.
The Doom 64 map format doesn't seem to do anything to improve the level exit/secret exit situation, so I assume it uses hardcoded map numbers too.

Duke Nukem 3D could do some more interesting things, in part because it had some more free form-ish data fields on the items on the map, it used items to represent switches instead of walls, and they came up with the madness that is the "sector effector". It also had large parts of the game logic in a text format scripting language!

Quake expanded the options massively by simply making the entities on the map have a dynamic size list of name/value pairs, so you could add any data you wanted to any entity, and use text to describe it too, and the QuakeC programs could then read any custom data and work with it.

Edit: Oh yeah, and minor correction: Quake did not use QRad for lighting, that's Quake 2! The "rad" is for Radiosity, since Quake 2 did wild things for its time with light-emitting surfaces and bounce lighting. Quake 1 just had a simple lightmap calculator, that makes lightmaps for the direct emission from point light sources, and it's all white light.

Ahh crud! I'm a hack fraud! Seriously though, It's super cool to hear about technical details like this. Thank you for sharing these details whenever they come up!

- I'm not even a very experienced mapper, I just like stubbornly trying to find ways to use standard actions to do tricks. I have come up with a few ideas I hadn't seen before, but most of the cool tricks other people thought of first. I saw a dual-switch effect in a certain level of Epic2.wad and opened the map up in the editor to see how it worked.

- You can look forward to my new WAD, "A nonsensical series of switches that don't really go anywhere" (aNSoSTDRGA.wad), coming in late 202X! (I might shorten the title to "A Nonsensical Series of Switches." Ohhhh, A self-rising staircase... made of switches!
- Ohhhhhhh.... a button which crumbles when you press it? That's a neat idea. I think I can do that! I'm not sure where I'd use it, but I think I could do it.

Well I enjoyed More Tricks and Traps Than You Require, so I'm excited to see what you come up with!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Well done on the 64ing! :toot: As always, the bosses in Doom tend to die a little too fast, but the mother demon technically has some neat combination attacks.

I'm sure this guy has been linked before, but he did a Doom 2 -> 64 monster comparison just two weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGmZ-c9Cxw

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

That final boss set up was interesting. How much harder is it if you have to play it "straight", i.e., without closing the gates? Is it overwhelming because of the number of monsters or mostly just longer?

There's also what I assume is hints of a future video in the level numbering on your save screen before the final level jumping from 24 to 28.

Also, just as a general thing, watching the Unmaker absolutely shred enemies made me look it up on the Doom wiki. Interestingly, the wiki claims that the actual damage is done as a hitscan weapon - the red lasers are not projectiles, they're basically just for show. So even if it looks like the laser has a piercing effect, it actually doesn't. However, the number of lasers does correlate with the number of hitscan attacks you're firing when you pull the trigger, meaning that the level 3 Unmaker (firing 3 attacks) is incredibly good at stunning/pain-state enemies because you're rolling the "pain state" chance three times every shot, at a high rate of fire.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Okay, that part where you killed two Barons and then the platforms they were standing on lowered seemed very clearly like
- I just looked up Doom 64, and apparently I was confused about what the secret level accessible from Map 01 was. On the GZ Doom release, I vaguely thought that Cat & Mouse was the first secret level, and then it went into Hectic, but no, just into Hectic. I understand why that one was skipped. It's super-mean.

Temin_Dump posted:

Well I enjoyed More Tricks and Traps Than You Require, so I'm excited to see what you come up with!

In addition to (likely) some tweaks and revisions to More Tricks and Traps Than You Require, I have actually released a 2-map set since then ("Nukage Treatment Pools" and "Dead in Five Minutes"). I guess I didn't mention them here earlier because (1)I wanted to get other feedback from different players on it to get it polished up, and (2)linking my own maps in someone else's LP feels kinda unrelated, and therefore... impolite, I guess?

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Surprise secret update!!!

Doom 64 Part 7/6

THE BAR posted:

Well done on the 64ing! :toot: As always, the bosses in Doom tend to die a little too fast, but the mother demon technically has some neat combination attacks.

I'm sure this guy has been linked before, but he did a Doom 2 -> 64 monster comparison just two weeks ago:

Yeah the mother demon is a pushover for sure. Probably slightly harder than the cyberdemon if you aren't ludicrously overpowered at that point.

MagusofStars posted:

That final boss set up was interesting. How much harder is it if you have to play it "straight", i.e., without closing the gates? Is it overwhelming because of the number of monsters or mostly just longer?

There's also what I assume is hints of a future video in the level numbering on your save screen before the final level jumping from 24 to 28.

Also, just as a general thing, watching the Unmaker absolutely shred enemies made me look it up on the Doom wiki. Interestingly, the wiki claims that the actual damage is done as a hitscan weapon - the red lasers are not projectiles, they're basically just for show. So even if it looks like the laser has a piercing effect, it actually doesn't. However, the number of lasers does correlate with the number of hitscan attacks you're firing when you pull the trigger, meaning that the level 3 Unmaker (firing 3 attacks) is incredibly good at stunning/pain-state enemies because you're rolling the "pain state" chance three times every shot, at a high rate of fire.

I thought of doing a run without the demon keys and I totally thought I had recorded that, but unfortunately I did not. It's probably something I will cover in a Stuff I Missed video for sure though.

As for the Unmaker, I only just learned how it works from Decino's video on it a little while back. Unfortunately we recorded commentary for all of these long before then :v:

In addition to (likely) some tweaks and revisions to More Tricks and Traps Than You Require, I have actually released a 2-map set since then ("Nukage Treatment Pools" and "Dead in Five Minutes"). I guess I didn't mention them here earlier because (1)I wanted to get other feedback from different players on it to get it polished up, and (2)linking my own maps in someone else's LP feels kinda unrelated, and therefore... impolite, I guess?

I mean I totally don't mind if maps get posted here, but it's up to you!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Glad you did the secret extra video and showed these off, Hectic is just brutal. The choice of the rocket launcher is particularly mean because of the splash damage (against the spiders) and knockback (during the baron platform). Looking forward to Stuff You Missed Part Whatever to show off the no-keys demon mother.

The LP is only in 1998, so I think you might have a little bit of time to do that polishing before the LP catches up to 2022 release WAD's. :v:

THE BAR posted:

Just getting around to watching the video comparison and this is pretty interesting, thanks for sharing.

Most notably, it confirms something that I thought while playing through Doom 64 for the first time thanks to this thread - Lost Souls are indeed way more aggressive and faster. The other monster changes are obvious and noticeable (e.g., Pain Elementals operating differently, Arachnotrons firing double plasma, etc) but the Lost Souls were a bit of a shock.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm surprised you had so few deaths on Hectic. It took me more than that. I somehow managed to beat it, once. The others were also tricky of course, but I eventually got them finished as well - at least on the GZDoom version.

Temin_Dump posted:

I mean I totally don't mind if maps get posted here, but it's up to you!

Well, sure, then. Nukage Treatment Pools and Dead in Five Minutes., both maps for Doom 2, intended for the GZDoom port (I think the DSDA port in particular has issues.)

They're fairly difficult maps. The first room of NTP is particularly tough and might require a couple attempts. Prioritizing enemy types in a specific order could help. The encounters should be generally interesting, and there are a few interesting tricks I use.

Dead in Five Minutes is a short map with no keys and few switches, but that doesn't make it easier. It features a working five minute countdown timer.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Billy Blaze returns!

Commander Keen 5

I'm surprised you had so few deaths on Hectic. It took me more than that. I somehow managed to beat it, once. The others were also tricky of course, but I eventually got them finished as well - at least on the GZDoom version.

Well, sure, then. Nukage Treatment Pools and Dead in Five Minutes., both maps for Doom 2, intended for the GZDoom port (I think the DSDA port in particular has issues.)

They're fairly difficult maps. The first room of NTP is particularly tough and might require a couple attempts. Prioritizing enemy types in a specific order could help. The encounters should be generally interesting, and there are a few interesting tricks I use.

Dead in Five Minutes is a short map with no keys and few switches, but that doesn't make it easier. It features a working five minute countdown timer.
Hey, awesome! I'll be sure to check it out whenever I get a good chunk of free time! I'm excited to see what you've done!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Excellent, the return of Keen! I never really played Keen 5 much, somehow I had only the first four as a kid so I only played Keen 5 a few years back as an adult. Felt a lot more constrained than the previous entries - a very clear early game (the first couple levels), the four ways of death, then the final ending...while something like Keen 4 or Keen Dreams let you wander all over the map.

Hexen 2 was a game I got and tried to play a few times but got basically stone-walled by the puzzles which felt really non-intuitive and also like they required a lot of running around. At least that's what it felt like as a kid; it's entirely possible that it'd be a lot more reasonable as an adult.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't believe you never up-pitched BJ Blazkowicz's "YEAH!" for the ending to a Keen game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I played Keen 4 and 5 a lot as a kid.

- The first level of Keen 5 - like Keen 4 - has a hidden area with about a half-dozen 1-Up's to collect. You need to pogo above a zapping gun (which is only zapping in hard difficulty), and then blindly make your way up across the top of the screen before you fall down to the area with them.
- Keen 6 is tied, story-wise to the other Keen games, but how is a bit of a spoiler.
- The Shikadi do take 4 shots to stun. The giant Robo Red enemies are invulnerable.
- The points value of the treasure is in the manual. Sugar Stoopies are like 2000 points or something. The big prize is a Bag of Sugar, which is 5000 points, 1/4 of a 1-Up.
- The green vials are some kind of health drink which starts with V. Vitalin, that's it.
- That eyeball-with-a-hand enemy is called the Spirogrip and it only appears on the Gravitational Damping Hub.
- The black orb is a Sphereful. Also invulnerable and very rare. It does chase you, which makes it slightly more dangerous than most enemies, but it's not that scary.
- There is a plaque on the wall of the Gravitational Damping Hub written in the Standard Galactic Alphabet. It says "Jump Down at Arch". There's a hole in the floor hidden from the player view by the wall of the arch.
- Commander Keen 5 ending.

- As a kid, I actually did some self-decoding of that note, using the "EXIT" from every level's end as the cipher key, and eventually I translated the whole thing.
- Keen 4, 5, and 6 are so much less obnoxious because you can save in-level.

I played Hexen 2 a while ago. I think I did it with all the classes as well, but I forget. I recall not liking it all that much. Let me give it a whirl... EDIT: Yeah, I don't think it aged that well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 27, 2022

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Brownian Motion machine had a coffee cup icon on it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

- As a kid, I actually did some self-decoding of that note, using the "EXIT" from every level's end as the cipher key, and eventually I translated the whole thing.
I used to be able to read and write Standard Galactic, and I can still read it well enough to notice that the signs by the fuses say "Warning: Fuse Strcture Fragile" (missing a U). The signs outside the levels say "DT" on the Defense Tunnels and the initials of the name of each of the fuse levels, in case anyone was wondering.

I was also able to, slowly, read the note at the end, although them sticking the nonsense word "gannalech" in the middle of it had me stumped for a moment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I got through the first big fight after about half a dozen attempts.

My strategy was just to run all the way around the edge, dodging everything, go through the last teleporter to grab the super shotgun and ammo and straight through to another teleporter, then back out to the starting room. The pain elementals are the biggest problem as, obviously, they don't provoke other monsters to attack them and only get hit by stray fire, but I didn't want to run in and try to deal with them while there were still revenants about because I'm very bad at fighting revenants, so I played it pretty safe and just waited till they came out to the starting area.

Got to the far end of the slime room, dealt with the enemies back there and all the imps along the way, then got killed by the revenants that pop up back toward the entrance. I somehow never remember how sharp the turning radius is on those homing missiles.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Since the LP is doing Hexen 2 next, I decided to run through it myself to re-familiarize myself. It uh, did not age well. ...No, it was probably always mediocre even at the time.

Tiggum posted:

I got through the first big fight after about half a dozen attempts.

My strategy was just to run all the way around the edge, dodging everything, go through the last teleporter to grab the super shotgun and ammo and straight through to another teleporter, then back out to the starting room. The pain elementals are the biggest problem as, obviously, they don't provoke other monsters to attack them and only get hit by stray fire, but I didn't want to run in and try to deal with them while there were still revenants about because I'm very bad at fighting revenants, so I played it pretty safe and just waited till they came out to the starting area.

Got to the far end of the slime room, dealt with the enemies back there and all the imps along the way, then got killed by the revenants that pop up back toward the entrance. I somehow never remember how sharp the turning radius is on those homing missiles.

Yeah, the first room is tough. The first room is designed specifically to restrict the player's movement with grates which don't bar the Revenant missiles, so them feeling extra dangerous there was quite deliberate. It's not very nice. My strategy for the first room is wait for fireballs to take out the former humans in front, then go get the SSG and chaingun from the center, then go up the other side of the center and target the chaingunners. After that, I hit all the hitscanners, then the pain elementals, and only after that the Revenants.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
"Brownian motion inducer" is a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference. It's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

turol posted:

It's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup.

That's not as funny, though. Huh.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

THE BAR posted:

That's not as funny, though. Huh.

It's a physics joke, not a poop joke

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

It's been a while since I checked this thread, but it's great to see we're still chugging along. I just watched the 3DO Doom episode in its 9 frames per second glory (okay, so I'm years behind), and I figured I'd comment here instead of YouTube:

- The 3DO wasn't some kind of weird proprietary disc format, it was the 3DO Company's console hardware design that they lacked the resources to manufacture so they instead licensed the specs to various companies (Panasonic being the most prominent, to the extent that people keep calling the whole thing "Panasonic 3DO"). The system used regular CD-ROMs, so Doom could easily have fit on the disc along with a whole bunch of WADs. The missing levels were almost certainly cut because they just couldn't be finished in time.

- I also thought noted business genius Randy Scott ordered two million copies of 3DO Doom to be made, not 250,000. The 3DO itself sold about two million units, most of them long before 1996, so if he actually ordered as many copies as there were systems, the number would've had to be in the millions.

- There's at least one mod to add the 3DO Doom music to modern source ports, because of course there is. It's pretty rad, at least if you just play the first episode and don't have to worry about the fact Randy's band only recorded part of the soundtrack.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey all. We're back! Sorry for the brief hiatus. I've been struggling with depression again recently. Glad I've got stuff to show to you though!

Hexen II
Part 1/5

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Temin_Dump posted:

Hey all. We're back! Sorry for the brief hiatus. I've been struggling with depression again recently. Glad I've got stuff to show to you though!

Hexen II
Part 1/5

I'm unreasonably excited for this.

E:

The book's projectile look a little funky. Like there's a black square inside of it.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 17, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Temin_Dump posted:

Hexen II
Part 1/5
Hey, don't push yourself, sometimes we just need a timeout.

Kinda disappointed you went with the necromancer, though; it seems every playthrough out there uses him and his weapons aren't that interesting.

e: Changing classes in the game is probably a pretty bad idea since you actually level up in this.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 17, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I played and beat this game a long time ago so I decided to do a refresh on it before the thread got there. You can really see the designer’s ambition. “Let’s combine an FPS with a role-playing game! Different weapons for each class! We’ll have classes – FOUR of them this time – and now they have special abilities! They’ll have attributes, which get rolled randomly at the start! Characters will level up like a role-playing game! It won’t just be shooting, it’ll be a thinking man’s game! There will be puzzles and quest-like things!”

You can also see the absolute failure to fulfil the ambitions.

- "This is a Quake game, what are they going to do with an assassin?" - Nothing good.
- "I feel like for how they look and sound, they're not nearly strong enough." That describes just about every weapon in the game. Enemies are major health sponges.
- The Necromancer's magic missile is a very solid #2 weapon, it's accurate, shoots quickly, uses little mana, and it has decent damage. It takes 4 Magic Missiles compared to the Assassin’s 3 bow shots, but the Assassin’s bow uses 3 blue mana/shot compare to just 2 for the Magic Missile, so the Magic Missiles are actually cheaper mana-wise.
- Speaking of weapon switch time, the necromancer has a neat gimmick , his #2 and #3 weapons are both spells, so there's almost no weapon switch time between those two weapons for the necromancer.

RE: The RPG Mechanics, I also didn't remember how they worked, but I found out while looking up stuff. There are four attributes – STR, which affects all damage, WIS, which gives a multiplier to experience gained, DEX and INT which do… absolutely nothing. All the attributes are randomized within a certain range. Those can't be increased. Health and mana are also random, but they do increase each level-up. Unlike Hexen 1, you don’t get that 200 flat mana. This means that the "ideal" way to play would be to start the game over and over again, and check your stats until you have your class's maximum amount of STR, WIS, and HP. That might sound like it's stupid design, because it is.

- The puzzles in the first hub in Hexen 2 are pretty obscure.
- Weapons don’t level up in Hexen 2, but some classes get abilities which enhance their #1 weapon.

- I’m surprised no enemy bio for Archer Lords, which are most definitely not the same as Archers. Archer Lords have an obnoxious amount of HP, and only shoot the more-damaging red arrows.

- I missed that secret! I couldn’t figure out how to get into that locked door at the start of the King's Court. Neat!
- "You need every secret even when you don't need it." That's especially true for this first hub for two reasons. One is that most progress is in what would be considered secrets, and two, the first hub starves you for mana. There are a few pieces of green mana around but no green mana-using weapon, which is obnoxious. I cheated to give myself the #3 weapon, and that doesn't even feel like cheating because there's still so little mana that being able to use that extra bit of green doesn't help. Even only using the #1 weapon on the spiders isn't enough.

- The life force drops are the Level 3 ability for Necromancers. It gives a good amount of health and a bit of mana.
- HUH... when I played Hexen 2 recently, I don't remember finding that book which tells you where to dig, and the place where to dig is different. That's strange.

- The Discs of repulsion are mostly useless, until you meet enemies with homing projectiles.
- The Force Cubes float around you and shoot things. They're very good in Hub 1 when you have no spare mana, but I never really use them.

- The item to shatter the barrier was in the Tailor's closet, that wasn't shown on the video.
- Also not shown was the place to use the amulet of Hunger from the treasury. It's in, of course, a secret room in "The Shoppe", and it gives you a hint that the fireplace upstairs in the Forge in the Stables has progress, which makes the button there appear.
- ...Also not shown was using the Sand at the force in the stables to make a bead of glass.

- Famine has an attack which yanks the player to it and forces them to stick to him for a bit while it drains some health from you. That's not normally a problem, but the Assassin's second weapon changes to shoot explosive arrows when powered by a Tome of Power. One more way the Assassin is screwed over.

anilEhilated posted:

Kinda disappointed you went with the necromancer, though; it seems every playthrough out there uses him and his weapons aren't that interesting.

I just did a run through with the Assassin, and I'm glad Temin didn't go with her. She is just flat-out broken (the bad kind). Neither of her two special abilities actually work with anything approaching reliability, and her one good weapon is the grenades, which are tricky to use.

THE BAR posted:

The book's projectile look a little funky. Like there's a black square inside of it.

That's a bug which a patch to the base game introduced.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Hexen II has a prerendered opening cinematic narrated by a local sage guy. Not the first time: Hexen for PS/Saturn were released earlier the same year, and they have 6 cutscenes that are better in every way.

It also has perhaps the most lore text written for it in an id-adjacent game that wouldn't be surpassed for decades - the bulk of the manual (in both paper & HTML formats) is the sage's in-character writing on the origins of all the player characters, items and enemies. They may look like 4 unconnected time periods, but you are actually not time traveling in Hexen II - your hubs are simply the planet's 4 continents (with the expansion adding a 5th), and each player character hails from one of them, despite sharing the same hub progression.

(At least that's the story in the final game - no telling what plans they went through, and nobody seem to have commented on why it shares motifs with Dissolution of Eternity.)

In the end, it's a classical case of the writer being a side job not in charge of the story, and all the lore has zero bearings on the actual game - what you get in-game is what minimal story there is, lacking even Heretic and Hexen's evocative style (another Romero hallmark, maybe?). Not that the lore means much - the Paladin & Crusader's origins boil down to that they are personality- and backstory-free warrior monk do-gooders, and the Necromancer/Assassin are just bullied/downtrodden kids who took revenge on society by embracing dark arts found in a tomb/a career of bounty assassin.

the first hub starves you for mana.
Don't know about the mechanics, but some playthroughs I watched have players use their #1 weapons to meticulously frag every single enemy corpse hunting for potential mana drops. Really dragged the pace down.

Other than Romero bragging on twitter that it'd be totally awesome if made, the only thing we can find online about Hecatomb is this:

quote:

The player assumed a role of 3 different classes with 3 different types in each class. Similar to the Dungeons and Dragons Lawful/Neutral/Evil alignments each class had a good/bad side to it.

Fighter: Good = Paladin / Neutral = Warrior / Evil = Berserker
Mage: Good = Archmage / Neutral = Wizard / Evil = Necromancer
Thief: Good = Rouge / Neutral = Thief / Evil = Assassin

Depending on the players class/alignment and level of progress the game would randomly choose an automatic event to happen at certain points in levels.
The world design surrounding Hecatomb would be explored like one massive area divided into hubs (for it to run properly on systems). The player had to explore around the surrounding areas of a giant ages old castle, the various areas (such as swamps, caves, etc.) would naturally connect to central parts of the castle. After exploring all the areas the player would be given access to the deep regions inside the castle, where a dragon is guarding a powerful relic and treasure horde. After defeating the dragon and the player acquiring what they were after the area caves in and exposes and even older extensive underground network of catacombs -- at the end of which is a very old and evil Demilich that the player had to kill to escape. (source)

cuc fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 18, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
And if you don’t know D&D poo poo, a demilich is what the Iron Liches in Heretic were based on, except about 10 times meaner. They literally eat souls for breakfast.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Heckin' Tomb sure is a name for your RPG.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Lots of cool stuff there. Here's a new update!
Hexen II Part 2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The bone shards are powerful, but very mana inefficient. Think of them essentially as a high-powered, high ammo consuming gatling gun.
- The message warning that "those who defile the sacred stream will be punished with death", I think, refers to the mystic urn on a pillar. You need to use the bridge to cross the water, and then climb onto the stone structure and leap for the urn to get it. Passing over the edge of the water raises the urn (almost) out of reach.
- The ring of turning (AKA Ring of Reflection) supposedly reflects projectile attacks. None of the enemies in the area use projectile attacks.
- The first part of the Fourth Weapon is found at the Bridge of Stars - that place where you need to place the 4 elements.
- The Raven Staff's default mode uses 8 mana of both types per shot. That's extravagantly expensive. The powered-up version, however, IS the game's equivalent of Wraithverge.
- Each class's Glyph of the Ancients works differently. The Assassin gets a trip mine that attaches a chain to a wall you're facing, the necromancer gets a slow homing mine. The Paladin gets a grenade and the Crusader gets a stationary time bomb.
- Death flies slowly in a circle through the air. This is like the one enemy the Assassin can reliably backstab, although it does little good.
- I found the enemies in Egypt to be the ones most tricky to kill for the necromancer.