Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I read computer gaming magazines in the early to mid 90s (being a terrible, terrible nerd even as a small child) so I knew that BBSes and MUDs (I remember one called BatMUD) and such were a thing that existed, but had precisely zero idea how any of that stuff actually worked and didn't actually get to use the internet until around 1998-99.

As for Doom, I have pretty good memories of going over to a friend's house after school and playing Ultimate Doom on his dad's 386. Of course we had IDDQD and IDKFA and all that stuff turned on because we were dumb kids, so I didn't play Doom properly until the Xbox Live Arcade version many years later. I had an absolute blast with that one and actually went on to complete the three original episodes (on Ultraviolence, of course), finally hitting a brick wall with Thy Flesh Consumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh god, it's that red room in Deimos Lab with the flashing blue textures on the pillars :gonk:

It wasn't that bad on the video here, but when I was playing the 360 version a few years ago that room was genuinely making me feel a bit nauseous. The fact I was playing in a dark room at 6 AM and hadn't slept at all might've had something to do with that. The textures in that level are pretty unpleasant in general, to be honest.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Totally. The cuddliest ball of pure concentrated evil to ever grace gaming.
Speaking of horrible and evil yet somehow cuddly abominations, the fearsome shambler from Quake became a lot less terrifying when I found out it's actually supposed to be covered in shaggy white fur instead of gross dead skin or whatever.

He's just a big teddy bear! :3: With... gigantic claws that will rip you apart... and the ability to electrocute you to death from a 50-meter distance... and a huge gaping maw where his face should be. But still!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I don't know what kind of bears you have over there, but the ones we have here can't (or won't :tinfoil:) shoot lightning and generally have eyes and noses and that kind of thing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh, good timing. I just finished replaying the first episode of Ultimate Doom a few minutes ago, having spent a bunch of time today setting up ZDoom and messing with various MIDI synths and soundfonts to get the most awesome rocking soundtrack possible (or at least something that is simple to install and sounds decent :downs:).

The Barons in Phobos Anomaly didn't even scratch me :black101:

edit: Oh, that's where the regular Mt. Erebus exit is. I was never able to find it when I played through Inferno years ago, so I just ended up rocketjumping to the secret exit after many failed attempts.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 2, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, back in elementary school most of us only knew IDKFA and IDDQD. Maybe IDCLIP for Doom II. I didn't know IDFA was a thing until I found the Doom wiki many years later, and actually forgot it existed until a few days ago.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Of course, all of these codes are useless without first entering the master cheat, which is IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT.

The Carmageddon guys are a very silly bunch. Unfortunately, the newest game doesn't have any cheat codes because of achievements or something.

edit: I also like how pressing Backspace for "Self Repairs" is listed as a cheat despite being a central game mechanic.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 5, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My friend's dad had no problem letting us play Doom, Wolf3D and Leisure Suit Larry on his old 386 when we were 9-10, but wouldn't buy my friend a copy of Destruction Derby 2 for PlayStation because the crashes in that game were too realistic or something. Of course, a couple of years later he didn't seem to mind us playing Carmageddon all day long on their new Pentium, so I'm not sure what was going on there.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The Wookiee Bowcaster showed up in the original trilogy, which came out some 15 years prior to this game... I don't think it's a reference to the crossbow in Heretic. Granted I don't think we ever see it fire but I'm sure someone, somewhere has written their graduating thesis on it and covers all it's firing modes.
Chewie fires it in Empire Strikes Back when they're inside the giant space slug! It also fires a red beam instead of a green one.

:goonsay:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, Raven Software did make both Heretic and Jedi Knight II.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

How about the Saturn version of Quake 1? It has exclusive bonus levels*!

*because the Saturn would melt down trying to render Ziggurat Vertigo

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I like that you're showing off so many of these Doom WADs but man, I can't wait for Quake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

It's been a while since I checked this thread, but it's great to see we're still chugging along. I just watched the 3DO Doom episode in its 9 frames per second glory (okay, so I'm years behind), and I figured I'd comment here instead of YouTube:

- The 3DO wasn't some kind of weird proprietary disc format, it was the 3DO Company's console hardware design that they lacked the resources to manufacture so they instead licensed the specs to various companies (Panasonic being the most prominent, to the extent that people keep calling the whole thing "Panasonic 3DO"). The system used regular CD-ROMs, so Doom could easily have fit on the disc along with a whole bunch of WADs. The missing levels were almost certainly cut because they just couldn't be finished in time.

- I also thought noted business genius Randy Scott ordered two million copies of 3DO Doom to be made, not 250,000. The 3DO itself sold about two million units, most of them long before 1996, so if he actually ordered as many copies as there were systems, the number would've had to be in the millions.

- There's at least one mod to add the 3DO Doom music to modern source ports, because of course there is. It's pretty rad, at least if you just play the first episode and don't have to worry about the fact Randy's band only recorded part of the soundtrack.