Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

well, more like 11% of their workforce.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-19/intel-cuts-12-000-jobs-forecast-misses-as-pc-blight-takes-toll

quote:

Intel Corp. will eliminate 12,000 jobs, or 11 percent of its workforce, embarking on the deepest cutbacks in a decade to gird for a fifth year of declines in the personal-computer market.

The world’s biggest maker of semiconductors said it’s shifting focus to higher-growth areas, such as chips for data center machines and Internet-connected devices. Intel also posted disappointing first-quarter revenue and gave a second-quarter sales forecast that fell short of analysts’ estimates.

Shipments of PCs, a market that provides Intel with more than half of its sales, fell to their lowest level in a decade in the first three months of 2016. The depth and duration of the slump mean Intel can no longer fall back on booming demand for server chips or market-share gains against weaker rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc. The job cuts mark the most radical action yet by Chief Executive Officer Brian Krzanich, who has brought in new executives and shaken up his team as he works to reduce Intel’s dependence on PCs and rekindle growth by pushing into newer businesses.

“It’s acknowledging the reality that it’s a single-digit growth world,” said Michael Shinnick, a fund manager at Wasatch Advisors Inc., which owns Intel shares. “The end markets aren’t growing to the extent that they were.”

Adding to recent reshuffles among Intel’s leadership, Stacy Smith, who has been chief financial officer since 2007, will move to a new role as head of manufacturing and sales, the company said Tuesday in a statement.
Maintaining Margins

Intel shares, which have lagged behind other chip stocks this year, fell less than 1 percent to $31.60 at the close of trading in New York. They slipped 2.4 percent in extended trading after a halt for the earnings and layoff announcements.

In the first quarter, net income rose 2.7 percent to $2.05 billion, or 42 cents a share, while sales climbed 7.2 percent to $13.7 billion, Santa Clara, California-based Intel said. On average, analysts had projected earnings of 37 cents and revenue of $13.8 billion.

Second-quarter revenue will be about $13.5 billion, the company said in a statement. That compares with an average analyst estimate of $14.2 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Gross margin, the percentage of sales remaining after deducting the cost of production, is forecast to be about 61 percent in the current quarter, Intel said. That measure of profitability, the only one that Intel projects, has remained above 60 percent annually since 2014 as high-priced, high-margin server chips have become a larger portion of Intel’s overall sales.

The job cuts announced Tuesday will be Intel’s biggest layoffs since it reduced staffing between 2005 and 2009, when the company was responding to the global financial crisis and competition that wiped out growth. Krzanich is taking his company’s headcount down from close to record levels after posting an average of less than 1 percent revenue growth over the past four years.

“With 107,000 employees, there’s always room to tighten the belt, especially with a softer global macro,” said Craig Ellis, an analyst at B Riley & Co.

Intel’s workforce has been above 105,000 since 2012, when it completed a surge up from an almost 10-year low of 79,800 in 2009, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That period of growth includes its two largest acquisitions, McAfee in 2011 and Altera last year.

For the year, Intel now expects total revenue growth to be at a percentage in the mid-single-digit range compared with 2015. The company reduced its forecast because the PC market is declining more than it anticipated and will shrink in the high-single-digit percent range, Smith said Tuesday on a conference call.

Intel’s Krzanich said Smith’s new role will give him the opportunity to gain more experience in the operations of the company, as he’ll be overseeing more than 50 percent of the workforce.

The company isn’t simply cutting costs with the headcount reduction, Krzanich said. It’s trying to free up resources, even in PC chips, to concentrate on areas that will provide future growth. He said Intel is increasingly aiming to sell chips for use in the automotive, industrial and retail markets.
PCs in Decline

Global PC shipments dropped 9.6 percent in the first three months of the year, the sixth consecutive quarterly decline, according to market researcher IDC. The drop took unit sales to their lowest level since 2007.

Intel’s client computing group, which makes and sells PC chips, had first-quarter sales of $7.5 billion, a decline of 14 percent from the preceding three months, but a gain of 2 percent from a the year-earlier period. The data center division posted sales of $4 billion, up 9 percent from a year earlier -- falling short of Intel’s target of double-digit percentage growth in that unit.

Krzanich has been putting more pressure on those who report to him as he tries to rekindle growth and make his products relevant in new markets. In April, the company announced that two division heads -- Kirk Skaugen in PC chips and Doug Davis of the Internet of Things unit -- are leaving the company. Their departure follows Krzanich’s hiring of former Qualcomm Inc. executive Murthy Renduchintala to a position above them.

“I would like the company to talk a little bit about that and hold people’s hand on what the strategy is,” said Timothy Arcuri, an analyst at Cowen & Co. “The old Intel was very dogmatic, but he’s ready to pivot in a different direction if that’s the way he sees it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ok

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i bought an intel cpu last year

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

amd's coming back baby :unsmith:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mishaq posted:

powerpc's coming back baby :unsmith:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I've only bought 12 Xeon's for the datacenter in the last 7 years probably not a good business model

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I bet apple told them they're moving to arm for everything and intel is making GBS threads bricks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rip any future investment in desktop chips. I hope you like the next crop of chips from Intel because that's how they will be forever.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I bet apple told them they're moving to arm for everything and intel is making GBS threads bricks

intel knows the rest of the market is stuck on Windows and Microsoft can't migrate off of x86 due to their own stupidity.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mishaq posted:

amd's coming back baby :unsmith:

my amd athlon 1800 is still running strong. or i'm sure it would be

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The last desktop CPU I bought was an i5-3570k or whatever back in late 2012 and it's still perfectly serviceable.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Management posted:

intel knows the rest of the market is stuck on Windows and Microsoft can't migrate off of x86 due to their own stupidity.

those seats are rapidly being replaced with VDI and selling a few dozen high-marg Xeon's is not going to compensate for the hundreds of intels out in the office that are now some little arm thin client

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vdi is garbage

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

rip any future investment in desktop chips. I hope you like the next crop of chips from Intel because that's how they will be forever.

I'm still running a Sandy Bridge i5 and plan to continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

vdi is garbage

vdi on hyper-v is excellent especially with their vgpu options you should know this shaggar

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/04/20/2159671/an-old-world-tech-ageddon/

quote:

Trip Chowdhry’s Global Equities Research has extrapolated that news out to the wider old skool US tech world and come up with a rather larger layoff number: 369,000 over the next 12 months.

I'm not gonna look it up but if those are all confirmed layoff plans then that's a lot of people!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

The last desktop CPU I bought was an i5-3570k or whatever back in late 2012 and it's still perfectly serviceable.

remember back in the day when you had to buy a new video card every 6 months to play new stuff

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if you look at PC market share you'd think Intel is doing stellar but there's really so much going against them

* Core gamers mostly agree all you need is a sandy bridge i5
* they're selling intel-based windows tablets for $80
* AMD is releasing Zen this summer and it will perform as well as Skylake for less
* Intel has no chips in the major video game consoles, and can't match AMD's built-to-order chip business that makes the custom APUs
* mobile

i hope you enjoyed reading this post

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember back in the day when you had to buy a new video card every 6 months to play new stuff

Yeah, it sucked and I'm glad we aren't there anymore, only thing I've upgraded since 2012 is the video card. Our laptops are mid-2012 MacBooks and they're still great too.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

* AMD is releasing Zen this summer and it will perform as well as Skylake for less

lol I agree with the other stuff but there is no chance they are turning around from the excavator disaster that quickly

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
intel inside!

employees OUTSIDE

THE BUILDING NOW

Apr 7, 2003

Ben Murphy posted:

intel inside!

employees OUTSIDE

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

if you look at PC market share you'd think Intel is doing stellar but there's really so much going against them

* Intel has no chips in the major video game consoles, and can't match AMD's built-to-order chip business that makes the custom APUs
* mobile

amd has to give their apu stuff away for free. they probably wont be around for much longer.

Apr 7, 2003

A Monetary Disaster

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ben Murphy posted:

intel inside!

employees OUTSIDE

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pointsofdata posted:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/04/20/2159671/an-old-world-tech-ageddon/

I'm not gonna look it up but if those are all confirmed layoff plans then that's a lot of people!

Trip Chowdhry is fully retarded.

having said that, layoffs are accelerating in the tech sector. we are definitely on our way down from the peak.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
there's gonna be a lot of fart app developers

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

life before windows vista was something else

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

amd has to give their apu stuff away for free. they probably wont be around for much longer.

hey man that's how your mom got through college

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

* mobile

intel just laid off a couple thousand more people than amd has working for them in total and intel is still more than 10x larger

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol I agree with the other stuff but there is no chance they are turning around from the excavator disaster that quickly

man, it sure would be neat to build an amd system again. :unsmith:

what are AMD's chipsets like these days, though? even in the good old athlon days that was a serious issue, might have had a better performing cpu but man did the chipset situation suck

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if you think thats bad wait until macos arm is announced at the wwdc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk like on the flipside intel's server business is absolutely bonkers like yeah pc is dead but who cares when you can sell a xeon for $whatever_you_want and guarantee every unit you produce from now until the next rev will be sold

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

PleasureKevin posted:

* mobile

it was ok

Apr 7, 2003

Bloody posted:

idk like on the flipside intel's server business is absolutely bonkers like yeah pc is dead but who cares when you can sell a xeon for $whatever_you_want and guarantee every unit you produce from now until the next rev will be sold

PC isn't dead, it just isn't growing drastically like it used to (it is a mature industry) and companies like this have no idea how to survive on growth that isn't explosive.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the combination of market saturation and the end of moore's law means everyone has and uses their pcs constantly but they don't have a reason to get a new one. maybe intel can pay Microsoft to make windows slower each release the way apple does w/ ios/osx.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

the combination of market saturation and the end of moore's law means everyone has and uses their pcs constantly but they don't have a reason to get a new one. maybe intel can pay Microsoft to make windows slower each release the way apple does w/ ios/osx.

yeah it's been just over half a decade again (since Windows 7) that Windows upgrades haven't really made computers slower performing just as a matter of course

in comparison, our imacs and mac minis from like 3 years ago are absolutely choking to death on os x 10.10-11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

broken clock opsec posted:

yeah it's been just over half a decade again (since Windows 7) that Windows upgrades haven't really made computers slower performing just as a matter of course

in comparison, our imacs and mac minis from like 3 years ago are absolutely choking to death on os x 10.10-11

my 5 year old macbook pro still works fine

• Locked thread