Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man, I didn't like Accord she doesn't fit either series I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I feel like that's the point. The character doesn't fit in the world because she's not from it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the 80's cellphone

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Emil was a given, but flat out new Devola and Popola? I wonder if all the overseer androids were just matched pairs of those two

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I reckon Eve is Kaine but the other way around. It's a female shade fused with a male body instead of a male shade fused with a relatively female body. Also new Devola and Popola suggests that someone has designed updated models for the overseer androids, even if they aren't being used for that purpose anymore.

Also just noticed Adam and Eve appropriately have a matched pair of gloves, so they're probably connected somehow. Admittedly the names alone suggest that they have a connection anyway.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Somehow I completely missed this thread until now! I guess my eyes just dart past the Android thread tag whenever I see it. :ohdear:

Either way, here's a new trailer from Tokyo Game Show! It's mostly the same information that the Famitsu scans have, but it's still pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpCMOqFugi4

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I love how Emil is still just a head even after all these years.

I always forget that other overseer androids existed, so Devola and Popola showing up is a little less jarring, but I'm still a little baffled by the concept. They obviously look different, aside from the face, so maybe they're different models or something. It looks like they're shopkeepers?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

In the post apocalyptic far future where the world is a ruin only robots and fashion salons will survive amidst the rubble.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Squidtentacle posted:

I love how Emil is still just a head even after all these years.

I always forget that other overseer androids existed, so Devola and Popola showing up is a little less jarring, but I'm still a little baffled by the concept. They obviously look different, aside from the face, so maybe they're different models or something. It looks like they're shopkeepers?

Emil is very happy about these turn of events.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

his tiny head is freaking me out

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
Maybe it's just the visors and hair but I feel like the designs for 2B and 9S are meant to reference at least in some small way Emil and his sister. It would be cool to discover an actual connection.

It'd be nice for some cameo or subtle reference in the game to Papa Nier as well, but I know how much Japan dislikes him so I'm not holding my breath on that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Momomo posted:

It got some response out of me that wasn't just complete boredom, which is a lot more than most RPGS can say. The game shouldn't have gotten as many sequels as it did, but I can still appreciate them.

It's a deliberate strategy. Yoko Taro's gone on record to say that there's absolutely no way he can conceivably compete with the big titans like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest (especially in Japan), so the only way to really draw interest and drive sales is to make his games uniquely bizarre in comparison.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
From the trailer in 2016, the most notable thing that I noticed, besides Devola and Popola, was that Eve seems to be showing signs of Watcher possession (glowing red eyes, poo poo eating grin).

Edit:

Yep, he's got the three eye symbol from the Cult of the Watchers.

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 16, 2016

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Good eye, I thought that was just Shade possession. But I guess with Humanity actually being back in tow and stationed on the moon means that whole Gestalt/Replicant business was finished up. So what are the odds of that being an insane BroOne that survived until the aliens showed up?

Also he looks hella like Donte from DmC.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

DentD posted:

It'd be nice for some cameo or subtle reference in the game to Papa Nier as well, but I know how much Japan dislikes him so I'm not holding my breath on that.

There's also the point that, unless they go with Grimoire Nier's stuff, Nier in either form has been retconned out of existence entirely. Him showing up in either state is something that I expect the least.

Watch Memory of Nier be the final boss or some poo poo.

Abhorrence posted:

From the trailer in 2016, the most notable thing that I noticed, besides Devola and Popola, was that Eve seems to be showing signs of Watcher possession (glowing red eyes, poo poo eating grin).

Huh. That wouldn't surprise me if the Watchers were brought up again; I don't expect they'd be totally thwarted by waiting out the white chlorination epidemic. Having a return of their poo poo directly involved in the story would be really cool. Maybe we'll get something similar to the trippy ending to Drakengard 1 in some form.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/776981347038597120

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Choice quotes from the TGS presentation (translations by @RyougaSaotome):

"He screams a lot but it's a happy ending. Happy screaming."
--
"I heard hotties with shirts and glasses are popular with women, so I made Adam."
"I was thinking of Yakuza with the tattoos on Eve. Again, thinking about him being popular with women."
"Commander looks sexy, but don't expect her to be sexy. Her sexiness is zero."
[lmao yoko just blazing through these slides.]
"This character is a spoiler so I couldn't reveal the illustration. I can't say anything about them."
"Ignore the weird purple character in the corner."
--
"Deadlines are closing in on me and Platinum keeps telling me to turn in the script, but instead I slept all day."
"I'll give my 100% eventually."
--
"I thought it'd be very Nier-like to include an auto mode for people who don't want action in their action game."
--
"Leave me on the floor. Leave me here." - Yoko

"Yoko died."

"I'll never make another appearance again."
--
"Yoko's kind of leaning at a weird angle."

"This is too much. I'm dying. I give up. Just hold my head. Oh, it's cracked." - Yoko
--
"IT'S EXPENSIVE!" - Yoko

"No, no! It's cheap!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i would kiss the gently caress out of yoko taro's sweaty emil masked face if he get the NA version out before next summer

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"I know there are folks who haven't played the first game and are concerned about Emil etc popping up, but don't worry. Lots of creators say you don't have to play previous games, but you actually do, and that annoys me. So don't worry. Also if you really want to experience the first game, go watch it on Nico or Youtube or something. I don't care. They're barely connected. Hope you enjoy the terrible story and Platinum's excellent gameplay."

e: Demo planned, hope to release by the end of the year.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 17, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yoko Taro is the loving best.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yoko Taro is a madman and I cannot wait for this game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can't wait for Taro Yoko to save video games again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Motto posted:

"I know there are folks who haven't played the first game and are concerned about Emil etc popping up, but don't worry. Lots of creators say you don't have to play previous games, but you actually do, and that annoys me. So don't worry. Also if you really want to experience the first game, go watch it on Nico or Youtube or something. I don't care. They're barely connected. Hope you enjoy the terrible story and Platinum's excellent gameplay."

Yoko Taro's stories are pure nonsense and knowing about the previous games only makes them more confusing.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
http://nier2.com/blog/2014/01/31/monaca-yorha/ DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The game looks so loving good. Getting Bayonetta vibes

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A collector's edition also got revealed:

Usually I don't spring for these things, but that's a really nice looking statue. The artbook and OST are must-haves, too. :retrogames:

e: That is assuming it makes its way to the West to begin with. :eng99:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 17, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Motto posted:

taro yoko wisdom
I get it!

He's bizarro world Todd Howard

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There is no greater testament to our world being good and just than the fact that taro yoko gets to keep making games

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
God, I fall into a black hole for a week, and more news appears.

JordanKai posted:

A collector's edition also got revealed:

Usually I don't spring for these things, but that's a really nice looking statue. The artbook and OST are must-haves, too. :retrogames:

Ditto. Looks loving awesome.

Motto posted:

Yoko Taro

Sage of the age, Yoko Taro. :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 18, 2016

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5C4KV2Q14

Linking this since I don't think I saw someone link it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cllGmc5cYPs

Oh there was another TGS trailer, anyone fluent with Japanese?

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 18, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the just dodge split into clones thing looks super good and fun

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The game looks pretty drat good, maybe it'll be the first Yoko Taro game that's actually fun to play? I find it neat that you can see some of Zero's and even Raiden's animations in the fighting, it's a nice little nod to the past games.

One thing that worries me though, the enemies seem really passive and weak. This was also the case in previous showings of the game. I really hope they aren't all like that in the full game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe they are playing a low difficulty.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty much all video game demos are on the lowest difficuly, if not outright making the player character invincible.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Totally gonna order any special edition they make for this game. If we don't get a western one I'll just get the japanese one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motto posted:

Choice quotes from the TGS presentation (translations by @RyougaSaotome):

Cherish this madman.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm very happy Yoko Taro exists and is here to make video games true art

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Taro my son and i'm proud of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

God, I loved everything about Nier, and it is what dragged me into the Drakengard series. Having a second one released on Steam? Heaven.