Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Am I the only one still planning to get this on PS4? My computer blows. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I translated some of the information available about the newly introduced characters, if anyone is interested.

Liver Disaster posted:

Devola and Popola
Keyword: Atonement
Beautiful older model, sister-type androids that can be found at the Resistance Camp. They have memories of models of their same line (the ones that appeared in the original NieR) having gone berserk in the distant past, and for this, they feel a deep sense of responsibility. Though they are androids, they are capable of ingesting alcohol. What role will they play in this installment?

Emil
Keyword: Existence
A popular character from the previous installment, he admired and traveled together with the lead character, NieR. Though he conceals powerful magic, the long passage of the years has caused him to lose most of his memories. Going by the screenshots, he appears to have also lost his body, but…

quote:

The Commander
Keyword: Duty
She is the director of the satellite base that orbits the Earth called the Bunker, in charge of commanding all of the YoRHa forces. Her personality is calm and collected, but 2B and 9S seem to weigh especially heavily on her mind. She has some sort of connection to the YoRHa’s prototype model, A2. While the materials have not yet made it clear, it is highly likely she too is an android.

Operator 60 & Operator 210 (pronounced Six-Oh & Two-One-Oh)
Keyword: Support
Communication operators who provide support to the Yorha units on the surface from the Bunker. They transmit orders and analyze information. Though they are androids, they all have different individual personalities. For example, 60 (assigned to 2B) is comparatively cheerful; 210 (assigned to 9S) is more cool-headed. Each Yorha unit has its own operator.

Pod 042 & Pod 153
Keyword: Attendant & Program
They display communications from the home base and exchange combat data, making them extremely useful for surface-based battle. 042 follows 2B, while 153 followers 9S.

quote:

Adam
Keyword: Hatred
A beautiful and mysterious young man with long silver hair. He wears glasses and is highly intelligent. He has a composed personality, but in order to achieve his purpose, he is capable of merciless acts of cruelty.

Eve
Keyword: Dependence
Adam’s younger twin brother. He is short-tempered and doesn’t think things through, but deeply loves and aids his brother. What is the meaning behind the pattern on his left arm? Adam and Eve are the names of humanity’s originators. In the Bible, Eve is a woman, but this one appears(?) to be a man…

Pascal

Keyword: Love
Despite being a bio-machine, Pascal is a pacifist who despises war. Possessing an interest in both human history and that of the bio-machines, he/she is exceptionally smart. Along with other bio-machines that have minds of their own (most do not), Pascal searches for a path to peace with mankind.

For reference, 2B, 9S and A2's keywords are Belief, Solitude and Vengeance, respectively.

dazat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 19, 2016

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Am I the only one still planning to get this on PS4? My computer blows. :(

I have a pretty good PC and I'm getting it on PS4 regardless since it'll likely have a special version.

Though I'm also surprised how many people seem to be having interest in the PC version over PS4...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

dazat posted:

I translated some of the information available about the newly introduced characters, if anyone is interested.

For reference, 2B, 9S and A2's keywords are Belief, Solitude and Vengeance, respectively.
I am expecting a Hostess minigame with Devola and Popola.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

dazat posted:

I don't think pascal is going to survive in any of the potential alternate endings

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Overlord K posted:

Though I'm also surprised how many people seem to be having interest in the PC version over PS4...

SA skews pc more than the general public i'd expect.
i'm gonna buy for ps4 but i hope they do a good pc port for those who aren't

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Their Revengeance port was great. :pcgaming:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Motto posted:

"I know there are folks who haven't played the first game and are concerned about Emil etc popping up, but don't worry. Lots of creators say you don't have to play previous games, but you actually do, and that annoys me. So don't worry. Also if you really want to experience the first game, go watch it on Nico or Youtube or something. I don't care. They're barely connected. Hope you enjoy the terrible story and Platinum's excellent gameplay."

This loving guy. :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Their Revengeance port was great. :pcgaming:

Actually poo poo this is true as hell and now I kind of want to wait to see if the PC port turns out to be well optimised. Except that means waiting to play this game. :ohdear:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did SE say who was porting?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Aaaaaaaaaahhh, red-eyes BAD!!!

If I remember the Nier lore right, red-eyes almost wiped out the human race by itself.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Aaaaaaaaaahhh, red-eyes BAD!!!

If I remember the Nier lore right, red-eyes almost wiped out the human race by itself.
Red Eyes was the intelligence/leader of the Legion, which otherwise were slightly dangerous but independent mindless berserkers made from WCS humans who didn't saltify.

Red Eyes was strong by itself, but it's real danger was going from 200 singular Legion in the area to 1000 coordinated Legion from everywhere nearby systematically loving up everything en masse

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 19, 2016

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Real hurthling! posted:

did SE say who was porting?

It might be just an in-house job by Platinum themselves, since I remember hearing that Revengeance was in-house as well.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Archenteron posted:

Red Eyes was the intelligence/leader of the Legion, which otherwise were slightly dangerous but independent mindless berserkers made from WCS humans who didn't saltify.

Red Eyes was strong by itself, but it's real danger was going from 200 singular Legion in the area to 1000 coordinated Legion from everywhere nearby systematically loving up everything en masse

Red eyes also a sign of watcher fuckery that wipes out several (most?) Drakengard universes I think.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DatonKallandor posted:

Red eyes also a sign of watcher fuckery that wipes out several (most?) Drakengard universes I think.

Yep, glowing red eyes was a sign that that person was under the direct control of the Watchers.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Overlord K posted:

I have a pretty good PC and I'm getting it on PS4 regardless since it'll likely have a special version.

If it'll run at 60 then its a very easy choice. But if there's more on PS4 then that'll be that. I played Nier forever ago but I remember the framerate being pretty bad on 360.

I hope its an awesome port because I really want to play this.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Boar drifting is back, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzEraGFZWoM&t=1241s

Edit: With bonus moose drifting!

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Yesssssssssssss

GOOD

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Abhorrence posted:

moose drifting too
yoko taro is my hero

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 1, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Abhorrence posted:

gently caress yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all i need is a story trailer that confirms some strong characters exist and i'll hit peak hype. i'm a tiny bit worried that the protags are emotionless robots.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they spend a lot of time screaming in trailers so probably not emotionless

like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cllGmc5cYPs

and this one which i hadn't seen before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDQ1uCielBs

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 2, 2016

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hope they get the same people to translate this one. They did great work with the first NieR

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, they're on.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a good story summary for Nier?

I bought it and played it for 10 hours before my 360 died an couldn't get it replaced. I've heard that the ending is incredible so I've been able to avoid spoilers. Now I want to know.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I bought it and played it for 10 hours before my 360 died an couldn't get it replaced. I've heard that the ending is incredible so I've been able to avoid spoilers. Now I want to know.

There's an active LP of the game in the LP subforum right now, and an archived one at lparchive.org

Not precisely what you're looking for, but they're real good regardless.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

if you are hell bent on not playing it you can watch the best friends completionist lp of it that they did this summer i guess. they don't waste too much time and play through all 4 endings with good commentary

playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ynpA5rGEo

like the story is just kinda a weird jrpg video game story the genius of it is how the game makes you love its characters and constantly fucks with you by changing the core gameplay and shifting the players perspective on his/her actions through multiple playthroughs.

also the music is about 40% of the reason i love the game so you'd want to hear that too probably.

if you played the first few hours you probably never got to any of the great poo poo beyond maybe when it first started getting weird

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 2, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

bman in 2288 posted:

There's an active LP of the game in the LP subforum right now

Not active anymore. :smith: Which is a pity, because imo video is a better presentation format for Nier.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/nierautomata/sp/store/ There's going to be dlc to replace your little floating robot with Weiss

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Everything is good about this story of futility.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Real hurthling! posted:

all i need is a story trailer that confirms some strong characters exist and i'll hit peak hype. i'm a tiny bit worried that the protags are emotionless robots.

I'm a bit concerned too. I couldn't bring myself to care for the characters in D3 at all so I hope the writing is more Nier than that.

Real hurthling! posted:

if you are hell bent on not playing it you can watch the best friends completionist lp of it that they did this summer i guess. they don't waste too much time and play through all 4 endings with good commentary

The only downside of this LP is that they don't show themselves playing through majority of the sidequests so you'll miss out on all the great party banter in them.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I like the box art. Hope they keep it internationally.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Nina posted:

I'm a bit concerned too. I couldn't bring myself to care for the characters in D3 at all so I hope the writing is more Nier than that.

The only downside of this LP is that they don't show themselves playing through majority of the sidequests so you'll miss out on all the great party banter in them.

There is at least one Drakengard 3 character you should be sympathetic to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlbPEOY3ks

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Mikhail is a virulent racist though. :haw:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Accordion Man posted:

Mikhail is a virulent racist though. :haw:

It's not racism because "wyvern" is a species, not a race!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

In the perfect world Emil and Mikhail would be the sole, pure and lovable main characters

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Real hurthling! posted:

like the story is just kinda a weird jrpg video game story the genius of it is how the game makes you love its characters and constantly fucks with you by changing the core gameplay and shifting the players perspective on his/her actions through multiple playthroughs.

also the music is about 40% of the reason i love the game so you'd want to hear that too probably.

if you played the first few hours you probably never got to any of the great poo poo beyond maybe when it first started getting weird

Thanks.
I'm "hell bent" on not playing it because I don't own any consoles that can play it and like hell I'd buy one for a single game.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's not racism because "wyvern" is a species, not a race!

It's generous to call garbage a species.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Liver Disaster posted:

It's generous to call garbage a species.

:fry:

but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ff15 crossover weapon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zmTHb6VW34

changes dodge effect, damage numbers style