Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is the demo out for US accounts too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yea

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Playing the demo on hard is like playing a completely different game (no lock-on!).

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I would totally buy the game twice, except for the part where I don't have a current gen console. Heres hoping I don't have to wait until October or something.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Renoistic posted:

Playing the demo on hard is like playing a completely different game (no lock-on!).

I like not having lockon cause it can trivialize aiming the wiess thing, but it's gonna make normal sized bosses hard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The lock-on feels like it was added in after the fact, the game camera auto-follows targets pretty well on its own, the only thing the lock-on really does is save you the trouble of aiming your lasers. I'm just fine with playing without it and I might dive right into hard when the full game comes out, it makes the game a lot more fun. I thought the actual "fight" part of the demo boss was kinda lame, but on Hard I enjoyed it a lot more.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
the menu design is some mgs3-rear end looking poo poo and i'm super into it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally got around to playing the demo and it owns.

Can't wait to find out all these robots I'm smashing are secretly powered by the souls of children or whatever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm liking a demo but a block button would be nice; the dodge isn't very useful for actually avoiding damage, since the very next attack will likely just hit you anyway. There's so many enemies that dodging forward to the one attacking means dodging into the next hit, and dodging to the sides means running into someone else's bullet or attack.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Time your dodge and you get a big rear end counter attack. Dodge back instead of left/right helps a lot too. Not sure if the counter attacks are fully invuln or not but you can use the shotgun counter for a ranged option anyway.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So this is going to be really good, god drat. I don't have a good handle on aiming and firing while dodging and attacking, though. The framerate definitely makes everything feel incredibly smooth, and I really like the glide that clearly coincidentally named 2B does when dodging into a run.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 23, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm liking a demo but a block button would be nice; the dodge isn't very useful for actually avoiding damage, since the very next attack will likely just hit you anyway. There's so many enemies that dodging forward to the one attacking means dodging into the next hit, and dodging to the sides means running into someone else's bullet or attack.

This is Platinum so I'm sure there will be something you can equip that will let you block and negate all damage, just like Bayonetta.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

or since this is Platinum maybe there's already a block ability tucked away in some painfully obscure part of the controls that the game will never explain or call attention to.

but also the counter-attacks after dodging give you invincibility frames and move you away from where the enemies are likely to be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Time your dodge and you get a big rear end counter attack. Dodge back instead of left/right helps a lot too. Not sure if the counter attacks are fully invuln or not but you can use the shotgun counter for a ranged option anyway.

I've got a shotgun? Welp.

quote:

but also the counter-attacks after dodging give you invincibility frames and move you away from where the enemies are likely to be.

I noticed that, but also noticed that if you don't get that, you generally slam into an enemy. It's not like the demo was hard to beat or anything though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I've got a shotgun? Welp.

Just the dodge->R1 attack, basically works like a shotgun.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bad Seafood posted:

Finally got around to playing the demo and it owns.

Can't wait to find out all these robots I'm smashing are secretly powered by the souls of children or whatever.

I feel like all the lines in this demo were carefully picked to gently caress with people who played NieR and it's wonderful.

"You're not allowed to have emotions."

"Just ignore what the recordings are saying it's probably nothing"

"I can't possibly see this ending well" etc.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The robots are 100% going to be the humans you're trying to retake the planet for.

Or maybe that's too obvious.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Seeing as Emil is in one of them I half expect it to be "Emil built a bunch of robots to help people and it went wrong and now you must defeat this weird talking skelly head"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what's the shotgun counter? i beat the demo no problem and didn't get a shotgun that i see mentioned on this page.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dodge->R1

You get unique counters for each each of Light/Heavy/Gun.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Beepy still canon? I mean, space. And robots. And so on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Dodge->R1

You get unique counters for each each of Light/Heavy/Gun.

playing again right away!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

playing again right away!

OMG thanks so much its even better than before!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does "witch time" not slow down time anymore? Cause that's suuuuper lame.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like all the lines in this demo were carefully picked to gently caress with people who played NieR and it's wonderful.

"You're not allowed to have emotions."

"Just ignore what the recordings are saying it's probably nothing"

"I can't possibly see this ending well" etc.
It's a Taro Yoko game, somebody's gonna have a bad day. Just for once it isn't the player.

I will say though, knowing glances aside, I wasn't feeling too much of the mission banter, which I typically consider one of Taro Yoko's stronger suits. Hopefully the actual release brings it proper.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Does "witch time" not slow down time anymore? Cause that's suuuuper lame.

Not all Platinum games have witch time.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Beepy still canon? I mean, space. And robots. And so on.

Since YoRHa is canon I don't see why robot messiah Beepy wouldn't be

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm glad that there's completely pointless finishers you can do in the demo. The combat feels really good, love how there's basically no reason to ever stop shooting since it's relegated to robot. Alternate loadout with the swords switched around felt bad, though.

Hope the movepool is a bit deeper in the final product, though I see no reason why it wouldn't be.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

Not all Platinum games have witch time.

All the Platinum games I've played and/or seen have had a defensive mechanics which made the "whooozh" sound and slowed down time.

If there isn't a defensive mechanic that slows down time in this, then I'll be somewhat disappointed.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

There's a pod ability that slows time so witch time would make that redundant

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

All the Platinum games I've played and/or seen have had a defensive mechanics which made the "whooozh" sound and slowed down time.

If there isn't a defensive mechanic that slows down time in this, then I'll be somewhat disappointed.

I'm willing to bet that it'll be one of the upgrade chips you slot into your character, since that's how it has worked in platinum games where you don't have it by default.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nina posted:

There's a pod ability that slows time so witch time would make that redundant

I just really liked when previous Platinum games slowed time every time I times a dodge/parry well, to show me that I did good.
It felt good that way.

Trick Question posted:

I'm willing to bet that it'll be one of the upgrade chips you slot into your character, since that's how it has worked in platinum games where you don't have it by default.

Yeah. I'm hoping for that being an upgrade at least.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hard mode is not messing around when it comes to damage. One hallway of orb spamming dudes ate through all my small recoveries just from being careless.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm fine with having to aim ranged weapons but no camera lock-on is really bad

annoying beeping at low health

had to look up a walkthrough vid to figure out where to go after killing the crane arm (the guy spent a long time wandering around as well)

dying kicks you back to the beginning

the map is garbage (not the minimap)

4/10, 20 dollar purchase

Relin fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 23, 2016

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I liked it, especially the Nier-ish music, but I really didn't like the top down camera.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Relin posted:

...you understand it's a demo?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Relin posted:

had to look up a walkthrough vid to figure out where to go after killing the crane arm (the guy spent a long time wandering around as well)

How.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tomie knows me posted:

...you understand it's a demo?

A barely 15 minutes long demo at that.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Relin posted:

i'm fine with having to aim ranged weapons but no camera lock-on is really bad

annoying beeping at low health

the map is garbage (not the minimap)

4/10, 20 dollar purchase

"Guys this game isn't literally playing itself for me. I managed to get lost and die repeatedly in a fifteen minute series of linear pathways. Game sucks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm really intrigued in how harder difficulties will feel with fully upgraded ranged options from your previous playthrough. Manual aiming only seems to imply there's a focus on them.