Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Spent a few hours grinding very hard mode this morning, figured out a couple things:

• The circle finisher you can do on downed enemies actually has a purpose - it'll do heavy damage to any enemies right next to them. It's risky and probably not worth it, since it only really works on the small bots, but it's cool looking.

• If you hit shoot + jump at the same time, you'll do a cool stinger-ish flying dropkick. It doesn't do a lot of damage, but you can kick robots in the butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Relin posted:

had to look up a walkthrough vid to figure out where to go after killing the crane arm (the guy spent a long time wandering around as well)

Nice little teaser for the upcoming DSP playthrough

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Hah, they named the mech-suit-plane after an experimental Nazi figher/bomber jet.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Dezztroy posted:

Hah, they named the mech-suit-plane after an experimental Nazi figher/bomber jet.

One of the YoRHa stage play songs was called "Normandy" so I guess we have our theme

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Demo owns. I liked how it was immediately familiar enough to MGRR that I didn't feel completely lost at first, but I started doing trickier poo poo as I played more. Looking forward to release.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Looks like grinding for weapon upgrades might actually be enjoyable this time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I just really liked when previous Platinum games slowed time every time I times a dodge/parry well, to show me that I did good.
It felt good that way.

Yeah. I'm hoping for that being an upgrade at least.

I just played the demo and that absolutely happened when I did a last second dodge of an attack.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Just played the demo,was pretty great. Banter was a lot better than most games I've played (and if this is apparently Yoko's worst,can't wait to see his best). Boss fight was :krad: Only thing that would've made it better for me is if RULES OF NATURE started playing. Long and short of it-I don't pre-order many games,but this will be one of them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Genocyber posted:

I just played the demo and that absolutely happened when I did a last second dodge of an attack.

Really? Good to hear.
I haven't played the Demo myself, cause I don't own a console, but I watched a friend play and he didn't get the slowdown once. Which is why I assumed that it wasn't a thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Really? Good to hear.
I haven't played the Demo myself, cause I don't own a console, but I watched a friend play and he didn't get the slowdown once. Which is why I assumed that it wasn't a thing.

It's not a several seconds of witch time kind of thing, just a half second of slow down, if that, to basically confirm that you dodged.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

holy poo poo swapping the light sword to triangle and the heavy sword to square completely changes their movesets

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

lets hang out posted:

holy poo poo swapping the light sword to triangle and the heavy sword to square completely changes their movesets

Yeah it looks like each weapon has a different moveset depending on which slot it's in. I really like the light sword's secondary moveset, 2B just turns that katana into a boomerang and it's flipping amazing.

I love the demo, the only bits I'm a little ehhh about are the parts with the little gun shits+weird camera angles. I don't mind either individually and it's not difficult per say, the damage is just so high on Hard (and obviously lol u died on Very Hard) it forces you into a slow, podgun focused style that isn't fun for me. They're dumb little mooks, I want to be making GBS threads down their necks with a fuckoff daikatana not pewpewing them for 10 seconds while lining them all up so all their shots get blocked. Other than that I adore it and I love the bullet hell sequences in the boss fights, even if they are trivially easy in the demo.

Edit: A cool thing I just figured out while mucking about : if you hold jump while falling you hang on to your pod and slowfall. You can shoot while slowfalling and if you hit an attack button you do a neat roundhouse kick.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 24, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you don't want to plink away at the shooting bots the air dash + triangle attack is great for hitting them. if you have the long sword on triangle it carries you a really long distance but with the short sword it's pretty easy to hit what you want, and it has priority over pretty much everything so you can do it into groups of enemies who are actively attacking without fear

wish the stinger you get from holding triangle with the short sword in the heavy slot was the same way, i want to hit things with it so bad but it's so hard

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hey how do i do this

https://my.mixtape.moe/syctti.webm

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

E: ^^^ I only got that move to come out in side scrolling sections and it was just jumping and like, pushing triangle or something. I have no idea how to do it elsewhere. I really gotta go through the demo again sometime soon.

Holding the button down gives you different attacks, light katana in the default slot lets you breakdance/dash cut things and heavy sword lets you do a charged power slash.

Also for those that didn't play NieR 1 the same rules apply that the light purple bullets enemies fire can be destroyed with basic sword swings so don't feel like you can't advance without your pod button taped down- that breakdance move I just mentioned for example is phenomenal for sliding you through bullets to hit idiots that are firing at you.

Just don't try it for the dark purple/black bullets. You'll still get slapped in the head with those.

E: Also the demo probably has the traditional stinger but I forgot to try to mess around and see if it's actually there or not.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 24, 2016

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

R1+X

Does anyone think that this game will end up explaining where Cathedral City came from? Given the occurrences in Drakengard 3 (Accord), and what's going on in this game, I think there's a chance for a tie-in of that nature.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Source

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Just lol if you think her YorHa-issue combat boots would break with a mere metal grate. The comic should have ended with her ripping the whole thing out and dragging it around :colbert:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
So has anyone been able to find out if you can power the elevator or something? I found two secret areas that make shortctus and I was wondering if there was one for the elevator.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Marogareh posted:

So has anyone been able to find out if you can power the elevator or something? I found two secret areas that make shortctus and I was wondering if there was one for the elevator.

Not to my knowledge, I think it might be something that is only accessed in the main game

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Speaking of secrets, just before the first side scrolling section where you go around the first giant cylinder, there's a platform with items. How do you get there?

Edit: Found it. Before the second staircase on the cylinder there's a place where you can jump to a crane. Where is the other shortcut?

Edit 2: Found it as well. After descending a long way into the main interior area you'll come to a top-down fight. Walk off the screen to the right, fight the big robot, lower the bridge.. Anyone found any more?

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 25, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A pretty promising demo, although I fear it doesn't quite demonstrate how the full game will work. Nier was vaguely open-world, with a few spacious field zones spreading out its towns and dungeons. I wonder if any of that is retained or if the game is basically linear in terms of levels and stages.

That said, this feels like a bold and smart evolution of Nier's core gameplay, placing more emphasis on the action but not skipping the fluid and varied changes in gameplay that made Nier so compelling. I feel like they kind of took too much inspiration from the sequence under Emil's Mansion but at the same time, the ever-changing perspective helps spice up the combat and emphasises the shooting mechanics.

Shooting AND comboing attacks is tough to wrap around but I felt pretty decent at it by the demo's end.

Do the harder difficulties do the traditional Platinum thing and have different enemy types, or is the demo limited to cute robots and giant saw arms?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There is definitely at least one hub connecting the levels, it's an overgrown city area, complete with all-important boar drifting. Check out any of the JP live streams of the game rehosted on youtube, they all mess around in it.

The demo doesn't change enemy types, but the final boss does pick up some new moves on hard.

The best excuse to replay the demo though is ditch the swords and beat all the robots to death with your fists, the unarmed move set is hilarious.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A pretty promising demo, although I fear it doesn't quite demonstrate how the full game will work. Nier was vaguely open-world, with a few spacious field zones spreading out its towns and dungeons. I wonder if any of that is retained or if the game is basically linear in terms of levels and stages.

That said, this feels like a bold and smart evolution of Nier's core gameplay, placing more emphasis on the action but not skipping the fluid and varied changes in gameplay that made Nier so compelling. I feel like they kind of took too much inspiration from the sequence under Emil's Mansion but at the same time, the ever-changing perspective helps spice up the combat and emphasises the shooting mechanics.

Shooting AND comboing attacks is tough to wrap around but I felt pretty decent at it by the demo's end.

Do the harder difficulties do the traditional Platinum thing and have different enemy types, or is the demo limited to cute robots and giant saw arms?

they have showed several open world zones and a town area in gameplay demonstrations this year

boar and elk drifting ftw

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DVb_zpJf5U&t=2096s

you can see them leave town and go run around the world. no loading screen even. if the time messes up it's at like 35 minutes

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

they have showed several open world zones and a town area in gameplay demonstrations this year

boar and elk drifting ftw

ELK DRIFTING!?!?!?!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

ELK DRIFTING!?!?!?!

yes there are now many driftable beasts. truly sequelitis bloat has destroyed another proud franchise

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Demo was real good. Loved exploring the menu and seeing that you can unequip a lot of the QoL poo poo like health bar displays and the map. Gameplay felt like a pretty natural step up from Nier 1.

Wasn't crazy about her outfit, but Kaine was fun despite her terrible sense of dress, so I'm sure it'll be easy to get past.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kaine is my very good friend and had a rough childhood thank you for not criticizing her.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I tend to curse quite a bit, and I still look up to Kaine to this day as a hero in that regard.:allears:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I see a lot of streamers and such dislike it but I genuinely enjoy the whole "Emotions are illegal 9S :l" "Oh whoops sorry" type exchange. It's very Nier-y

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

well she immediately follows it with some annoyance about being called ma'am and i think that counts as an emotion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nina posted:

I see a lot of streamers

problem located

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Wanna clarify I think 2B's outfit and boots are fine, i just thought that comic was funny and wanted to share.

I also think Kaine's outfit is fine, if difficult to explain on the spot when people walk in on you playing Nier. After you learn what her deal is, it makes sense she dresses the way she does.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I can just handwave it with "moon-humans are weirdos about designing their combat androids" and be cool enough with it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

2B is classy and cool as hell

e: Also her name is nice in that "oh I get it" kind of way

Terper fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 25, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

9S is also fab af

Which reminds me did they ever confirm multiple playable characters? They did play as 9S in one of the demonstrations but not sure if that was just debug trickery or a feature for the actual game

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I believe one of the earliest pieces of information about the game was that there would be three playable characters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm trying very hard to avoid spoilers and the like, but has there been any word on the demo hitting steam? I'm waiting for that version (and hoping for a surprise port of the first nier while I'm at it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Terper posted:

2B is classy and cool as hell

e: Also her name is nice in that "oh I get it" kind of way

I don't get it, is it a spoiler thing?