Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is the spoiler that guy posted in the LP thread like a last ending spoiler or something? I just completed my first run, so I'd rather avoid it if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I wish nier:A fanart featured anyone else but 2B...

https://twitter.com/eggloaf/status/935153917641482240

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes for gods sake dont read any spoiler if you're doing a first run

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yes for gods sake dont read any spoiler if you're doing a first run

Right oh right on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Right oh right on.

Or any run if you havent gotten endings C/D

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

Is the spoiler that guy posted in the LP thread like a last ending spoiler or something? I just completed my first run, so I'd rather avoid it if that's the case.

The spoiler is removed but you do not want to pry about what was actually spoiled.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'd advise to play the game to completion, until you at least get the Chapter Select before looking into anything about it, even in this thread.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I may have pooped that up a little a bit, but not too much.
Because I didn't know if I wanted to play through the entire...whatever you'd call the 'A' ending just with a different character

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its got significant differences once you get to the parts where they split up. And zooming through the parts where they're together should be pretty fast given that you're overlevelled now for a lot of it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Play Route B as if it were a NG+, you clear what you left behind, you get to do the high level quests you couldn't before, you get an OP move that clears enemies easily, just breeze through it.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
just got ending E. i don’t understand what made the credit sequence so moving, but goddamn that was an emotional ride.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Agreed. Great game.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
My vote is for 2B as a very interesting character, because of the stuff that's been said about how extensive her role as a fragile but enduring martyr is, and I think she communicates the theme of existential emptiness perhaps the most forcefully of any of the characters, what with her starting narration and being so symbolic of it over the course of the game, until the end when her life/death might actually mean something. I think her appealing design gets the audience rooting for her prior to gaining actual perspective on her situation, so it's not solely sexiness for sexiness's sake. But it's that too.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I dunno I can't really sympathize her that much because she's never written into a scenario where you get to learn about her in a way that isn't in relation to 9S, who gets a lot more personal development. I think 2B is kinda the most hollow Taro main character. I think it's partially because A2 takes over and they're supposed to be the same "person" with different memories but I don't think that strengthens her characterization itself

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/937387388007043073

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alder posted:

I wish nier:A fanart featured anyone else but 2B...

https://twitter.com/eggloaf/status/935153917641482240

Yeah but where's the Yoko Taro Tom Nook?
He may hate Tom Nook but he's the ultimate Tom Nook.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

A2>2B>9S

I just...found 2B to be dull since all our interactions take place in the later half of the game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

2B kinda suffers from the same thing to me as Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot. She has so little actual agency because of the Route A's "a day on the job" vibe it's difficult to get invested in her

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I mean isn't that the point? She's been put on Earth to suffer and struggle to a bitter end, on an endless cycle. I guess that's what you mean by lacking agency, but I would still say she's a powerful character. Like the story needed her, for sure.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

A character like that can be a good character, but I think it’s a poor choice making a character lacking agency the focus character. The narrative might’ve actually been better off if 9S had been the sole player character

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I don't agree. 2B's story is already over by the time the game starts. She's already had her struggle and she lost. In a narrative sense, she now only serves to establish the world in preparation for the breakdown in later routes. She, a character that is resigned to keeping the status quo, is perfect for that. The "day on the job" vibe is intentional.

I wouldn't like it if 9S was the sole player character either. Not only from a gameplay standpoint, but I really liked that there was this moment where you realize that 2B is not the real main character, which is then doubled down into the realization that Route A/B is not the real story.

I realize that 2B doesn't receive that much attention in the game itself, but I think she's a character that's all about backstory. Everything we know about her, we find out after she's out of focus, either from the game or from supplemental materials. I don't think that makes her dull; actually, the way her story is presented is more moving in some ways. Taro touched upon this in his seminar video

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like 2B cause I think she’s cool. :shobon:

Not the biggest fan of the outfit design but I like her stoicism and I think she plays well as a rational anchor for 9S, especially in route C, when she isn’t even in it.

Maybe it’s a dumb reason to like a character but 2B is definitely my favorite aside from Pascal.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
9S>A2>2B, but they all good.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Just got ending C, and while the story has really picked up and is really cool, I'm super done with playing this game as the combat is just so bleh.

Someone please tell me I dont have much more actual gameplay left.

e: Also from my previous comments about the game being disappointing. The game thematically and it's story beats have become super interesting and cool, I really do think the game desperately needed an editor. They could have told this story in half the time and been just as successful.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

Just got ending C, and while the story has really picked up and is really cool, I'm super done with playing this game as the combat is just so bleh.

Someone please tell me I dont have much more actual gameplay left.

e: Also from my previous comments about the game being disappointing. The game thematically and it's story beats have become super interesting and cool, I really do think the game desperately needed an editor. They could have told this story in half the time and been just as successful.

You use the new option that just popped up and use it to make a different choice at the final fight.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

You can literally get the two last endings right now. Just use the chapter select to go to the end and pick the stuff you didn’t pick last time.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

vkeios posted:

You can literally get the two last endings right now. Just use the chapter select to go to the end and pick the stuff you didn’t pick last time.

Hunt11 posted:

You use the new option that just popped up and use it to make a different choice at the final fight.

Thank god

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
I think there's two angles to interpret the agency statement. First, 2B, despite having her virtues, or rather because of them, is a patriarchal female character. She lacks a self; everything she does is alternately for YoRHa or 9S. If 2B is identified through her weapons with samurai, she's like a samurai's wife in traditional obedience. The other angle is that video games are intended as escapism, and playing as a character who is just shoehorned into situations without personal agency is too much like real life.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think it can be more or less enjoyable to play a protagonist like 2B, depending on personal taste, but if you like the story Taro told with its world and themes then surely you can recognize how 2B fits that story and doesn't clash against it. I also felt like all of the characters had some metaphorical purpose to them, beyond just being rational human characters.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
End of game spoilers:

Since we got up to the 9S freakout stage on TDI's LP, I think the actual explanation is, if he's looking at 2B's memories, not 9S's, then he's also looking at the memories of all the times she's killed him under orders. That actually explains his behavior: he knows that the data he's destroying is 2B's, and he's taking out his rage at being murdered and reincarnated around half a dozen times.

Charles_Kinbote fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 5, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So yeah I beat the game last night, Ive been pretty candid about the game not resonating with me as much as other people, and that still rings true to some standard but...

Ending E was really, really effective, even though it had been spoiled for me by one Peter Brown of Gamespot dot com (grumble). 9s/2bs relationship and the reveal of what exactly Yorha is/was also helped contextualize a lot of the stuff that happened in route A/B in a way that made it more enjoyable after the fact.

I have mixed feelings of there not being some kind of big bad/final antagonist to deal with but it really does hammer home the fact that this eternal conflict is completely meaningless, so it works thematically. The "pick a side" final boss thing fell a bit flat though.

I just think the game was way, way way too long, and could have been cut down a pretty sizable chunk. There were way too many "hey go get this thing from pascal or Anemone or whatever" quests and a lot of the sidequests were just trite garbage with decent story bits tied into them. Also, I know why they had to do Route A/B the way they did for the story to work but there has to be a better way to have done that, but then again I'm not a writer or story designer.

TL;DR: The story is really good, the atmosphere is really good but the story desperately needed editing and the game was not really that fun to actually play. Some of the best music in a video game I've ever heard as well.

I'd probably give it 4/5, I dont think it is "perfect" or a masterpiece like some people throw around but it was really effective for what it is. I wish it had a bigger budget, if only to make it look less like poo poo.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I totally agree with the length/editing issues. It is a very flawed game, but I think the late-game pacing makes up for the slower parts.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel some stuff like the Route A/B thing bothered people that played the last Nier or other Cavia games less because it's kinda what Yoko Taro does. Not defending it as a good thing per se, but it's also his signature move, recontextualizing events through the perspective of another character or working with "what if" scenarios like in Drakengard. I don't think it's a badly paced game when it comes to the main story, though. Maybe the repetition on B makes it feel longer than it is, or getting focused on sidequests that while well-written aren't that creative gameplay-wise (which I feel it's an RPG problem in general) detracts from it.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I think color-coding the really important sidequests would have helped everything feel less like a slog. Lunar tears, Amnesia, and the Operator questlines should have had a star beside them or something.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I watched a LP of Nier Gestalt and oh my god I wish I had played it before Automata.

There's something about the story I like better and I would have loved all the callbacks.

What a good series.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Is there a way to get the dual shock 4 controller on pc to work as it does on ps4? I want to pet my pod on the steam version.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

GoldenNugget posted:

Is there a way to get the dual shock 4 controller on pc to work as it does on ps4? I want to pet my pod on the steam version.

DS4Windows works perfectly for me

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

I want to pet my pod on the steam version.

There is a way on PC. I think you move your mouse in a little circle?

Edit: Yeah, that's it. It takes a few tries though.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Anyone know where the hell this red dot is? It seems to disappear on the ground and appears again when im on a hill or higher.

https://imgur.com/a/xFMUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look up. Its an rear end in a top hat. Go to the top of that ruined road ramp.