Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beefstew posted:

I keep seeing these walls of text about the new ending. I think I know what it is, but I'm not going to confirm until I get there.
I just wanna know: good or bad?

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

:emptyquote:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Conceptually bad but executed very well

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hatty posted:

Conceptually bad but executed very well

Disagree on “conceptually bad”.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think my only complaint about ending E, now that I've read some stuff after finishing it, is that it seems to require knowledge of drakengard 1 + 3, as well as a bunch of supplemental reading, to understand what's going on in it; if all you've played is nier and automata (and god help you if you haven't even played automata) it feels more like a bunch of trippy poo poo out of left field, but people speculating on the internet seem to be drawing a lot of connections to drakengard 3 in particular (the flower, the fact that the kaine clones have one glowing red eye, something about shifts and singularities, etc). I still liked it, but I can't help but feel that it required homework to understand

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Pollyanna posted:

Disagree on “conceptually bad”.

Well I never read the whole “lost world” story and it was described to me as Kainé finds a copy of Nier in the Myth tree which I thought was kinda silly and I heard that the new ending was based on that I got worried. But seeing everything play out was very satisfying and felt earned so jokes on me for basing my original opinion on a half baked synopsis

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think ending e fuckin owned and I would absolutely take a game of Kainé and the Fuckin' Book's Big poo poo Stomping Adventure ft. Good Boys Nier and Emil however Kainé's Naruto run is distractingly stupid looking and if I had to choose between a sensible outfit for Kainé or getting rid of that dumbass animation then ludicrously horny it is.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Am I able to (Ending E Spoilers) Go in a spiral of Completing Ending D again to trigger Ending E to play over once I restore the original save slot?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you like sure

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
What's the best way to track collecting all the weapons? I just got to route C but I've been hesitant on working on it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I'm going for a platinum trophy out of some perverse sense of obligation. Why the gently caress won't broken wristwatches or subdued bracelets ever spawn? Those things, eagle eggs,, and black pearls are what I'm still gonna have to grind out pretty heavily. Got most of the other stuff. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Beefstew posted:

I'm going for a platinum trophy out of some perverse sense of obligation. Why the gently caress won't broken wristwatches or subdued bracelets ever spawn? Those things, eagle eggs,, and black pearls are what I'm still gonna have to grind out pretty heavily. Got most of the other stuff. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I'm there myself too. I also don't have the "gather 50 different mats" cheev after 4 full runs of act 2 which is a bad feel. :chloe:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The repeatable dream sequence from completing the fortune teller’s side quest was the best place I found to farm broken wristwatches.

Eagle eggs I only ever got from the 3rd room in the 3rd DLC route because of what happens in the Aerie.

Subdued necklaces only drop from the tall skinny shades that fire tons of magic balls everywhere in the northern plains, if you go in and out of the forest until the weather is foggy there are 5-6 of them dotted around and you can reset the spawn by talking to the guard over near the entrance to the village and accepting his quest to kill some sheep then immediately getting off the boar once it starts.

There are a couple of armoured versions on the roof of the shrine that drop them but they’re way more hassle than farming the plains ones.

Black pearls are only on the beach in Seafront and only when the shipwreck isn’t there. You can get 1 free one per playthrough in the back room of the post office.

Bear in mind you don’t have to upgrade every single weapon for the trophy, so you can skip out on a few materials with careful planning for what you actually want to upgrade. If you get lucky with Damascus steel drops you can do the DLC weapons really easily.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I missed out on the red bag guy sidequest at the beginning of act 2, will I get the chance to do it when I get to the B path? I am assuming all the other side quests will still remain complete, so hopefully that's all I'll need to do.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ruffini posted:

What's the best way to track collecting all the weapons? I just got to route C but I've been hesitant on working on it.

-Buy all the weapons from the weapon shops in the Village, Seafront, and Facade.
-Clear the 3 DLC challenges from the diary in Nier's house
-Do the following sidequests:
---1) "A Bridge in Peril" from a guy in the village
---2) "A Shade Entombed" and "Disturbing the Sleep of Kings" from the king of Facade, after doing the Part 2 storyline in Facade
---3) "The Damaged Map" from the blacksmith in the village

If you don't have 100% weapons after this, you probably missed one of the ones that are placed in crates along the critical path.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Augus posted:

-Buy all the weapons from the weapon shops in the Village, Seafront, and Facade.
-Clear the 3 DLC challenges from the diary in Nier's house
-Do the following sidequests:
---1) "A Bridge in Peril" from a guy in the village
---2) "A Shade Entombed" and "Disturbing the Sleep of Kings" from the king of Facade, after doing the Part 2 storyline in Facade
---3) "The Damaged Map" from the blacksmith in the village

If you don't have 100% weapons after this, you probably missed one of the ones that are placed in crates along the critical path.

Thank you!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh, is there any significance to the different colors of magic that we see throughout the game? It's something I noticed when going through ending e and just didn't think it ever got talked about in the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Oh, is there any significance to the different colors of magic that we see throughout the game? It's something I noticed when going through ending e and just didn't think it ever got talked about in the game.

Not that I recall. Maybe it’ll be explored another time.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Momomo posted:

So I missed out on the red bag guy sidequest at the beginning of act 2, will I get the chance to do it when I get to the B path? I am assuming all the other side quests will still remain complete, so hopefully that's all I'll need to do.

Yes, it'll be available again and completed quests will remain completed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh huh, another thing I thought might get brought up at some point that never got addressed unless I missed some tertiary thing but is there anything to the similarity between Yorha - Yonah or is just just a coincidence? I'm thinking just a coincidence since the game was written in Japanese and translated, but then again :yokotaro:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Oh huh, another thing I thought might get brought up at some point that never got addressed unless I missed some tertiary thing but is there anything to the similarity between Yorha - Yonah or is just just a coincidence? I'm thinking just a coincidence since the game was written in Japanese and translated, but then again :yokotaro:

They certainly look similar in English, but apparently:

"Some Fuckin Wiki posted:

ヨルハ(YoRHa)の意味

Meaning of YoRHa

発売前のインタビューでは「深い意味はない」とのこと。ちなみに漢字だと「寄葉」と書く。
出典:http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/146/1146564/

Said to have “no particular meaning” in a pre-release interview. Written as “entrust” (寄) “leaf” (葉) in kanji. Source: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/146/1146564/

The wiki supposes that the kanji is derived from the black boxes resembling plant cells, therefore YoRHa being a “gathering of plants” through some world play, but I find that to be a stretch.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Yonah's just a name, whereas YoRHa stands for Yo, Really Hot androids

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

Yonah's just a name, whereas YoRHa stands for Yo, Really Hot androids

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I just realized that Tyrann is voiced by Shinji.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I played some of that diary, heh I sure hope this DLC didnt cost any money originally, because its just lmao

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It was $7 lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstew posted:

Get in the loving replicant Shinji

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I decided to watch a let's play of drakengard (and later, 3, if i make it all the way through the first one) and wow, i'm glad Yoko Taro met Keiichi Okabe because the music in this game is certainly an experience

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Beefstew posted:

I'm pretty sure he's also that one really whiny kid in the Aerie, though it's less obvious than it was in the original because he's got more vocal range now (link is hella spoilers for part 2)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Couple thoughts as I am gearing up to grind out mats for the last few cheevos and have started a new Automata playthroughs:

- I love how these games don't punish you in anyway for playing on easy and have super granular assist options. I do wish that for the next title they would consider letting normal and hard mode players use auto-features, because I wouldn't mind the game being a little more difficult if I could still let the ai handle the pod/magic stuff and focus on the combos and timing. But it's still fun as hell to play and feels good knowing I'm not missing out on anything important by not playing on a harder mode.

- One thing I kept coming back to as I was playing Replicant was how much I kept comparing this game (and thinking of Automata) and perhaps not entirely fairly comparing these games with Kojima's Metal Gear Solid outings, particularly 2/3. I like that both of these creators are interested in tackling big philosophical questions and thinking outside the box with how to let players interact with games. But I think at this point I have to prefer the Nier games because Yoko Taro doesn't need to cram in several hours of cutscenes to make his points. The games have cutscenes obviously but the amount of time Yoko Taro spends taking control away from you is miniscule when compared to the typical Kojima joint.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think this is the first time I've seen a game with credits entirely in alphabetical order.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

stev posted:

I think this is the first time I've seen a game with credits entirely in alphabetical order.

I was trying to think of what an Ubisoft game's credits would look like done that way lol

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If I'm going for ending E, am I safe in assuming all the cutscenes up until the important point will be the same as everything I've seen before, so I can just skip them?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh poo poo route B is Kainé? I can't believe I managed to avoid that being spoiled for a decade.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

stev posted:

Oh poo poo route B is Kainé? I can't believe I managed to avoid that being spoiled for a decade.

No, that’s not the case.

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I'm going for ending E, am I safe in assuming all the cutscenes up until the important point will be the same as everything I've seen before, so I can just skip them?

Yes, everything up until it happens is the same as it ever was.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

We keep answering the exact same questions about endings C, D and E every single page to the point where we might want to edit something into the OP, tbh

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody is going to check the 5 year old OP for details about a new release.

We’d just be posting “check the OP” 5 times a page instead.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh my god I just spent 6 hours gardening, even with extensive time travel

I did get the Lunar Tear, though. And virtually 99 of every other seed/plant, lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody is going to check the 5 year old OP for details about a new release.

We’d just be posting “check the OP” 5 times a page instead.

Obviously we would also add something to the thread title such as "(check OP for non-spoiler ending FAQ)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sharkitten posted:

Oh my god I just spent 6 hours gardening, even with extensive time travel

I did get the Lunar Tear, though. And virtually 99 of every other seed/plant, lol

I got the Lunar Tear without time travel, by taking it easy.