Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Reincarnation is a bullshit gacha game but right now they're giving players an absolutely ridiculous amount of free gems and upgrade equipment and you can blast through the story fairly quick.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nier-3-has-been-in-front-of-us-all-along-per-series-creators-tease

I'm going through it now myself and the story stuff is pretty solid, as you'd expect from Yoko Taro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

nier reincarnation offline edition

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Having good story behind terrible gameplay is extremely on-brand for the series.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Nier 3 will be a 80 hour long cutscene of the plays, musicals, audio dramas, and have narrated novels. No skipping any of the chapters.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Azubah posted:

Nier 3 will be a 80 hour long cutscene of the plays, musicals, audio dramas, and have narrated novels. No skipping any of the chapters.

There will be a "hold X to skip" prompt, and when you use it, takes you directly to the end credits. You'll have to start from the beginning to get back to where you were.

There will be exactly one 12-second scene where holding X will show you hidden content. This will not be signposted in any way.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vandar posted:

you can blast through the story fairly quick.

They made me watch that little white girl run walk through a castle for like ten loving minutes and I turned that poo poo off and never looked back. Either make a game or write a book, but miss me with this half-assed garbage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleck posted:

They made me watch that little white girl run walk through a castle for like ten loving minutes and I turned that poo poo off and never looked back. Either make a game or write a book, but miss me with this half-assed garbage.

Ico owned though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m sure taro misses you deeply

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

stev posted:

OK, Nier 3 is a pointless waste of time so I hope we get Nier 4

Nier 4 : The Search For More Money

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Remaster Drakengard 3 so it'll actually function correctly as a videogame instead of a slideshow.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Remaster Drakengard 3 so it'll actually function correctly as a videogame instead of a slideshow.

I would be down for that just to see how people react to it and its final boss.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hunt11 posted:

It is such a wonderfully unhinged game and its a shame its only release runs so poorly. It does emulate quite nicely now though you need a beefy rig to keep it at 60. Music is great too.

Just remaster and rerelease, change nothing else, maybe the combat a lil if you want like the Replicant remaster, but change nothing about the game flow.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Bringing back the rhythm game from the end of the first Drakengard was a ballsy move I’ll admit (and I believe in both cases if you gently caress up once you die and have to do it all again from the beginning). But yeah, a version of 3 with a better framerate would be good honestly

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly the ballsier part what bringing it back and then doing possibly meanest, most vindictive thing ever in a Taro game by having the song still go while the screen goes black as Mikhail says goodbye to Zero

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
PS3 emulators can run Drakengard 3 at 60 FPS and it literally looks like a different game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGLxIO1IauA

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yoko Taro makes a dogshit video game in 2003: a true visionary

Yoko Taro makes a dogshit video game in 2021:

Bleck posted:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ImpAtom posted:

Ico owned though

Hell yeah

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Has anyone here read any of the NieR books? Thinking of giving Yorha Boys a try.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Kefa posted:

Has anyone here read any of the NieR books? Thinking of giving Yorha Boys a try.

Yeah I have read Yorha Boys, Short Story Long and the manga.

They're good, and really do feel like it adds the wider world building and lore. At times feel poorly translated though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Beefstew posted:

PS3 emulators can run Drakengard 3 at 60 FPS and it literally looks like a different game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGLxIO1IauA

Is there ever any explanation for the modern-looking skyscraper ruins visible in this clip? IIRC the Drakengard world isn't directly connected to ours aside from being different dimensions or whatever.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Veg posted:

Yeah I have read Yorha Boys, Short Story Long and the manga.

They're good, and really do feel like it adds the wider world building and lore. At times feel poorly translated though.

Thanks, which one is your favourite?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The link between the Drakengard world and the Nier world is a closed time loop. The Nier world purged all the magical bullshit by isolating it into one city and dumping that city into another dimension... Which happened to be the Drakengard world in the past, which is what introduced magic bullshit into that world and kicked off the events which led to the apocalypse in Tokyo

Unless I'm completely wrong and pulled that from out of my rear end somehow. But I think that's right.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Dabir posted:

The link between the Drakengard world and the Nier world is a closed time loop. The Nier world purged all the magical bullshit by isolating it into one city and dumping that city into another dimension... Which happened to be the Drakengard world in the past, which is what introduced magic bullshit into that world and kicked off the events which led to the apocalypse in Tokyo

Unless I'm completely wrong and pulled that from out of my rear end somehow. But I think that's right.

I was just about to type basically that, complete with not remembering the source. So probably.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That makes a lot of sense, though I'm curious if it's actually been confirmed.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I don't think they ever laid it out, but all the pieces are there, so it's pretty much canon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I thought some supplementary material established that Neir took place after Ending E of the original Drakengard and the trouble started after people recovered and studied/experimented on Angelus after she was shot down by the military

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Dragengard -> Nier part is definitely true, it's the Nier -> Drakengard part that people aren't sure about.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The Dragengard -> Nier part is definitely true, it's the Nier -> Drakengard part that people aren't sure about.

Though isn’t Drakengard 3 supposed to be a prequel of sorts (but I guess that would just confuse things further what with that and the similarities between Zero and Kaine)?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not quite. After Ending E, the dissolving body of the Mother Grotesquerie spread across Tokyo as particles of, I forget what the word is, but basically physical magic. Coming into contact with that stuff caused what scientists designated "White Chlorination Syndrome", which is basically the spirit of the Mother Grotesquerie trying to form a pact with the person. If they agree to it, they turn into a monstrous creature, but if they don't, they turn into a pillar of salt, hence chlorination. The monsters spread all over, being extremely difficult to kill, led by one with glowing red eyes that's implied to be a resurrected Caim. Eventually, the world decided to contain the problem by nuking Tokyo, which just spread the particles all over the world instead.

The experiments performed on Angelus clued the humans into how magic works, which was what let them create magical superweapons like Emil and his sister, and also the Grimoires and the Gestalt/Replicant project. Gestalts don't have physical bodies, so they can't be affected by the magic particles, and Replicants are basically soullless flesh androids that could be commanded to clean up the world. Once the magic was all contained in one place, that place was ripped out of the world and banished through a portal into another dimension, which happened to end up on inverted Earth in Drakengard's past. Over the next few hundred years, the replicants, led by the mechanical androids like the Popola-Devola series, did their best to prepare the world for the gestalts to reintegrate, but oops, they wound up developing their own souls, including the most important guy of all whose gestalt was key to the whole thing working, and that's Nier.

Drakengard 3 is a several hundred years prior prequel to 1, but I think the exact sequence of events that foreshadows 1 is only in some side material and involves One's brother forming what will go on to be the Empire. The long and short is that the flower in 3 and the grotesqueries in 1 are both separate manifestations of the same wrathful god who's decided to wipe out the world in extremely convoluted ways.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, was it ever officially confirmed that Zero and Mother Grotesquerie were one and the same (the final ending of 3 seems to imply as such)?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know, but while I was looking into that, I ran across the dialogue between Zero and One before her boss fight on ending A, which outright says a few of the things I thought I remembered. The modern city is known as the Cathedral City by that world's inhabitants, and it's said to be the origin of all magic in the world.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yoko Taro appeared onstage in Atlanta at the NieR: Orchestra Concert tonight.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Midjack posted:

Really wasn't expecting that. What an awesome show.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

He showed up at the Dallas concert too!

"I'm Yoko Taro... maybe."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Midjack posted:

Was he wearing the Emil head?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Larryb posted:

He sure was!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

He never appears in public without it. Though in 2020 he had on a flat cardboard Emil mask when signing autographs.

I felt like they made better use of the choir this time, though I'd still love to see the choir join Emi and J'Nique for "Weight of the World" in a live show.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Midjack posted:

He never appears in public without it. Though in 2020 he had on a flat cardboard Emil mask when signing autographs.

I felt like they made better use of the choir this time, though I'd still love to see the choir join Emi and J'Nique for "Weight of the World" in a live show.

I had the same thought about Weight of the World. I also thought it was strange that they didn't use the choir for Shadowlord. I'm sure there's a good reason but definitely missed their presence on that one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Beefstew posted:

He showed up at the Dallas concert too!

"I'm Yoko Taro... maybe."

I will forever regret not going to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Only disappointment for me at that concert last night was the lack of Birth of a Wish. Otherwise it was absolutely phenomenal. So glad I was able to go.