Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Iirc someone asked him in an interview why 2b was designed that way and his answer was just "I like looking at hot women"

You should, I believe, take everything that Taro-san says in public interviews with a grain of salt. The man is infamously self-deprecating.

RyokoTK posted:

Well yeah, he's experiencing the emotional concept of romantic infatuation.

The accusation by Adam that 9S is lustful of 2B is what is more vague.

It's not really vague in the context of the game and how it firmly establishes, in multiple places, a link between love/hate, sex/violence, and creation/destruction. 9S wants to gently caress her because he also wants to kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

"Red herring" may be a wrong word choice but the sexual implication seems poorly placed when there is a more clearly stated motive for his love/hate of 2B after he finds out that Yorha is a sham and 2B is compelled to murder him over and over

The statement works vice-versa, as well. Imagine lusting after someone that you cannot ever have because of the circumstances of your lives. You begin to enter into a weird state where the object of desire is also an object of hatred: a constant, teasing reminder of your failure.

More diegetically, it's implied that 9S manages to either repeatedly figure out why 2B is with him early on (as in The Memory Cage), or that the data relating to that somehow never gets fully wiped, but that he's too in love with her to ever say it to her face. Consider that, as an S-type, he has no reason to learn how to use weaponry if he actually buys the reasoning that 2B is there to protect him... so why has he programmed himself to be able to?

RyokoTK posted:

lol what a fuckin novel idea

Well, think of it in terms of story: what is the Tower except a massive siphon of information that's being saved?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's necessary for the diegesis of the game to work, considering how much they integrate save points into the overall story of the game. I'm genuinely a little baffled that people struggled so much with it: I've never played a twin stick shooter, have used an actual gamepad to play two other games before Automata, and I spent maybe 20 minutes getting through the entire prologue on Hard.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 14, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

The design decision can be both internally consistent and also not fun from a player's perspective.

Sure, but "repeatedly playing through a section to overcome the challenge" is a core aspect of these types of checkpoint games, and that's all that the prologue is. It's not especially lengthy, and the option to trivialize it by cranking it down to Easy is always there. Considering how necessary it is to establish the diegetic conceit of savepoints, I don't think a great price was paid at the player's expense, if at all.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

we're all proud of you

Thank you!

RyokoTK posted:

Well the prologue is also long and kinda easy on any difficulty, so it's not like having to replay the entire thing because of a game crash after over half an hour was equivalent to overcoming a challenge...

Crashing immediately post-prologue definitely sucks, yeah. I ate one when I first talked to the Commander, but I'd managed to sneak in a save right before. I think having an autosave once the last prologue cutscene starts playing would have been good, and still would have maintained the diegesis, but it seems SE was blindsided by the PC crashes given how they seemed so weirdly card and setting-specific. After that one crash, I never had another one, which makes it even odder.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's no way to honestly describe the first sequence that you see 2B fully in (when she crash lands the harness, right before the game's first ground battle) as a "panty shot," unless you're willing to mutilate the definition to fit "you can see a sliver of her panties." The shot pans up on the side of her dress that covers her legs the most. The game has multiple opportunities to go for fanservice shots, and it does not.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't know what your point is, I never said "panty", you're being pedantic about a thing i didn't even say.

No one in the history of humankind has done an upskirt shot in a piece of media to show off part of someone's left thigh as a piece of eroticism. As Dias said, there's a hundred different ways to shoot that sequence that provide gratuitous eroticism, and they chose not to do any of them.

Alder posted:

Friends let's not go down this path.

I think it's important to emphasize that the team went out of their way to avoid fanservice in the development of the game, because they were aware that doing so would blunt the effectiveness of the core themes they were aiming for. Having a character who is dressed sexually, but is not sexualized by the camera's gaze, is hard to do well, and I think they succeeded beautifully.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 28, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's even parodied in the silly looking machine "orgy" scene in the desert - all hollow pretense without any deeper meaningful understanding.

That's not a really a "parody." It's a reflection of the androids. They believe that by embodying humanity's obsessions - sex and violence - they will become human. 2B's outfit is a fetish outfit in both meanings of the word.

DLC Inc posted:

half the game's appeal is def because of the gothic lolita main character, people love the design and are attached to it. even though she's dull as dishwater she brings some kind of stylish spark into what amounts to Isaac Asimov For Dummies. Further into the game you get an even more scantily clad characters so it's just all asses all the time.

It's a great bait-and-switch. I had my suspicions pre-release that the surface (sexy gothic lolita android) was not the essence, but that's only because I know how Yoko Taro operates. I can't imagine how baffled someone who was going into this for T&A must have been.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 28, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

So it YoRHa's existence tied into some kind of metaplot where they were designed by Yoko Taro and Square-Enix for the strict purpose of dying and creating emotional gravitas? Was that the point of the credits being the defense system?

Sort of. Just like how the pods can only save the androids by breaking their predefined limits and rising above their role as the Greek chorus, you, the player, can only save the androids by breaking the predefined limits of the game, interacting with and attacking something that was never meant to be touched.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

I've completed ending A again and am plodding along through B, I noticed the Machine silhouette in the Top hat looked familiar and so is its indifference to an admirer. Then I noticed that the theme park boss is called Simone. I'm guessing she's an allusion to Simone de Beuavoir another Existentialist philosopher and associate of Jean-Paul Sartre

Yes. Almost all of the major machine bosses/characters are allusions to philosophers, usually with an ironic twist or a wink to the audience. Simone is obsessed with beauty and the love of a man; Marx and Engels are literally made of the means of production; Kierkegaard leads a cult where everyone thinks and believes in the same thing; Hegel is a dialectical fight featuring the synthesis of two different playstyles; and so on.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I love A2 but I would have liked her exposed body parts to be more "skin fallen off unevenly and haphazardly" and less "fell off in the shape of booty shorts and stockings. :v:"

The point of A2's design isn't necessarily that she's an old, decaying model, but that she's abandoned her nominally "human" feelings of love/sex and fully embraced being a ruthless murderer. The sexy costumes are the fetishistic link the androids have with human notions of love, while their weapons are the fetishistic link they have with human notions of hate. The fact that A2's costume is literally decaying is an important point of characterization, but I wouldn't say that making her decay would be the same thing thematically.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dabir posted:

She is decaying though. Look closer, the only clothing she still has is the lacy bit around her stomach, the rest is artificial skin falling off and revealing the black armoured surface beneath.

Hey, good catch; I hadn't actually noticed the cloth separation on her chest before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

The pacing is especially interesting here. Most games are pretty frontloaded, especially RPGs, but Nier has been a marathon runner.

I think it's been the beneficiary of having a strong, visually unique presentation that makes it easily and endlessly shareable across social platforms (fanart, cosplay, etc.). People'll be cosplaying 2B for years to come, and that kind of repeated exposure gets you marketing that you could never truly budget for.