Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just picked up the game. Haven't read any spoilers online. Played the demo that came out in December but that's it. Any tips or things I should know before going in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So just starting this game and knowing nothing, I have one theory - Im guessing the name 2B is a play on "To be, or not to be" and a bunch of the story is her grappling with what it means to be human and can robots and androids be human but that seems too simple.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm only very briefly into the game, so there may be more of an in world explanation but I just based it off one of the VERY early conversation where 9S talks about saving 2B's personality but wasn't able transmit his own. I assumed that these androids require regular transmissions back to base to "save" their memories.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

but is there butthole

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'll unlock fast travel at some point, right?

Also, where do I get my grimoire Weiss skin?

In the game, I just killed the opera singer in the amusement park and found the machine village.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just unlocked fast travel. How far am I from ending A? (I'm guessing REALLY far)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Getting tired of seeing all these chained up chests that "you can't access right now."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oil sardines are loving gross looking.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The stuff in my inventory that says "Can be exchanged for money" - the only use for that stuff is selling, right? Because I just realized I have like 200k worth of that stuff.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mindblast posted:

I highly recommend you keep at least 5 of anything that has that label. It's what I did and it ended up helping.

What about stuff like Machine Core, Precious Earrings, Lovely Choker, etc etc, as well as all my caught fish?

Also, when I'm retrieving the stuff from all these corpses and I get like "+2 Hp" and "+1 attack" is that just a temp buff or is this a permanent increase?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Still working on the first ending. I just killed =====Adam=====. How far am I from the first ending?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Welp got ending A.

Things got really easy half way through that first playthrough when I got the chip that gave me 20% health back on a kill, the chip that gives you a percent of your damage dealt back as health, and another chip that just regenerated health when I went for some time without being hit.

Never had to worry about much. Excited to see where the next playthrough goes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So does play through 2 diverge from play through 1 at and point? I just got to the desert and I don't think playing as 9S is nearly as fun as 2B.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 12, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

So does play through 2 diverge from play through 1 at and point? I just got to the desert and I don't think playing as 9S is nearly as fun as 2B.

I guess I spoke too soon. Things just started getting weird.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm getting really frustrated at my PS4 controller lately. Ever since I started playing NieR, the controller just sticks occasionally. The character I'm playing as will just start running in a direction and no button I press will do anything. Or just almost all the buttons will become unresponsive for a few seconds when in menus.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen? Not sure if it's just with NieR or if it's my PS4 controller as I haven't really used my PS4 as anything but a youtube machine for the past few months.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Any reason to keep fish or can I sell all dat poo poo?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

THIS SPEED STAR QUEST CAN GO gently caress ITSELF

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Are there any non-spoiler compiled list of all weapons/fish/chests and stuff so I can start making sure I pick up the stuff?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you want a bunch of 2B fanart, someone compiled this large list of stuff on her (all SFW). https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/5zl086/who_are_some_artists_that_make_sfw_2b_art/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

:siren: GREETINGS PEOPLE WHO ARE COMING TO THIS THREAD AFTER PURCHASING THE GAME FROM STEAM :siren:

If you never played the original NieR and want a 15 minute recap so you can understand a little more of the history of the games, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RanKizama posted:

I enjoyed this video. My mind is still full of gently caress though and I'm not talking 2B's rear end. Someone with knowledge please message me directly so I don't fill this thread with my newcomer bullshit questions.

Bullshit. FILL THE THREAD. More discussion is better.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RanKizama posted:

Thank you kindly.

I would normally agree, but I don't want to ask redundant questions in the thread just because I'm new to the franchise. It also helps me keep a focused conversation rather than digging through the thread each day since I am normally on here on my phone.

Ah. I just figure the questions you have will probably be shared by many other newcomers. I'd venture to guess that a decent percentage of people playing Automata are new to the franchise.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RanKizama posted:

There's probably some truth to that, but I've only finished Route A so far and just managed to run around with no pants on for an hour with 9S so I've still got a ways to go. I'm sure some of my questions will be answered just by playing the game while others pertain more to the older games.

I'm just about to finish Route B, but so far, nothing in this game has any ties to the original NieR other than the appearance of 3 characters. And those characters make no reference to the original game and are all incredibly minor cameos. I'm sure this could change later, but that's where things stand so far.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RanKizama posted:

But what about Emil, Popola, and Devola? Or are they who you're talking about?

Those are the three I'm talking about. So far, while they are there, they haven't really done anything to tie Automata to the original NieR. Unless things with them change after route B (which with all the changes that probably do happen, is completely possible), those 3 characters could have been brand new characters and nothing would change in the plot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So I'm currently just a bit past ending B and goddamn I just have no idea what the gently caress is going on. the bunker is gone. 2B is dead. Machines are eating everything. There's a huge fuckoff tower. I just wiped Pascal's memory after all of the friendly machines died. THIS SURE IS A YOKO TARO GAME.

General mood: second half of original NieR.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm still working toward Ending C and I just got to the Resource Node and welp, IS THIS GAME TURNING INTO STELLA GLOW?!

"It is an ancient language, known as Angelic."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Just got ending D. Didn't get ending C yet. Is that just from picking A2 instead of 9S?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Does ending E just pick up from there? How long is the journey to ending E after getting c/d?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm guessing I should probably complete all side quests and everything else I want to do before moving on to ending E right?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I didn't find out until I'd nearly platted the game, but on Normal you can lock-on in hacking mode. You won't be able to lead shots with it, but it can make dodging while keeping the attack up easier.

Whaaaaaaaaat. :aaaaa:

GodDAMNIT

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So I had finished route C and unlocked chapter select.

Now when using that, I'll see quest listed as 0/1 or so. But when I load into that portion, I see no quests on the map. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm sitting at about 79% quest completion.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yoko Taro is my spirit animal: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...d/#11727df334ec

quote:

What with Nier: Automata finally released, I thought it worth talking with Taro Yoko about his involvement with the series over the years.

“I was born in the city of Nagoya in Aichi Prefecture. I entered into the Nagoya Women’s University Kindergarten and then (skipping ahead) enrolled into the Department of Visual Information at the Kobe Design University. The courses entailed learning about visual expression and CG but the reason I decided to enter this department was that English was not included in their entrance exam and I was not good at English at that time.

“I have liked games for a very long time but when I saw Gradius at the arcade as a junior high student, I became certain that in the future all forms of entertainment will be taken over by video games. This is why I started working for the gaming company Namco after I graduated college. However, I am quite disappointed that my predictions were off and films and TV still dominate the world as usual.

“As for my favorite games growing up, if I were to mention a game other than Gradius, it would have to be Xevious. I was shocked by how they were able to integrate light and shadow using pixel art with a limited number of colors and how the left-right color arrangement was asymmetric.

“I am also definitely a fan of Panzer Dragoon. I found it was brilliant with good taste, especially how they had Mœbius create the package design for the original release.”

Talking of Panzer Dragoon, it’s here where we got onto the subject of the Dragon-On Dragoon or Drakengard as the games are known in the West.

“It started when I was in limbo after being fired from Sony Computer Entertainment. My friend Mr. Iwasaki, who was the producer, invited me asking, “Won’t you be the art director for this project I just started?” The original plan was for Iwasaki-san to be the director but I took up that role mid-project since he became too busy.”

“I only directed the first Drakengard title but Square Enix had told me “create a game like Dynasty Warriors with a medieval setting. And, include dragons while you’re at it.” I remember thinking “there’s no way we can win against the Warriors series by just following suit” as I developed the game.

“At the time, Square Enix was not particularly interested in the story, so I did whatever I felt like doing. I have fond memories of getting many complaints from them after the fact. Well, they aren’t really “fond” memories… Yep.”

The original Nier followed on from the Drakengard games and was especially renowned for its soundtrack.

“I instructed Okabe-san from MONACA, who composes the music for us, on the desired direction by sending him mp3’s and YouTube links of songs that I want him to use as reference. Normally, it’s rude to do this to a composer but I’ve known Okabe-san for a very long time, so I can ask for favors like this. He actually might not have been happy about it though.”

While the original Nier was a big shift away in terms of how the Drakengard games worked, the games are still connected in a narrative sense to the recently release Nier: Automata.

“The Drakengard and Nier series are within the same world but this game takes place more than 10,000 years apart from the others. Please do not worry about having to play them all, as you can enjoy this without having any knowledge of the others. Actually, I think you’ll become more confused if you know all of those games.

“The first thing I mentioned to Platinum Games when we started working together was that “I don’t want to make Nier: Automata a sequel of the series, but rather create it as if it were a new title. This is why I won’t number the title. Let’s create something new together.” I still feel the same way, so the answer to the question on how it fits into the overall narrative of the series would be that “it doesn’t fit in.”

What is also slightly different about Nier: Automata is how it is being developed by Platinum Games and how Yoko was involved in the process. This is because the original studio behind these games, that of Cavia, was shut down in 2010.

“In order to develop this game, I had temporarily stationed myself in Osaka (where Platinum Games is located), away from my family. I reign over the team as the director but I’m actually just drinking beer and loafing around. So, the young staff there had created the game in its entirety.

“Since Platinum Games is the developer for the latest installment, the action sequences are very sophisticated. However, it also retains elements from the previous title, such as the unique changes in gameplay. This was made possible because the staff at Platinum liked and respected the previous title.

“In any case, Nier: Automata is not a perfect game. But I am proud of everything in it.”

Now that Nier: Automata’s development has come to an end, I was also curious as to what Yoko would be up to next.

“As for the future, I am thinking of returning to being unemployed. I get bored very fast, so I would like to do something new. Something like a restaurant is attractive. It does seem to be a very tough job though.”

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Question regarding endings C/D/E and working on completion:

Im pretty sure I accidentally spoiled myself on the fact it's possible to sacrifice your save like the original NieR, so I don't want to do that until I get the platinum. I got the D ending before the C ending (by picking 9S before A2). Then I went back to do the C ending and it seemed to transition straight into the E ending. I turned the game off for fear of being told to sacrifice the save. Am I safe to do it?

If there is a save sacrifice, is it after the E ending?

Basically what I'm trying to ask is:

Can I get the E ending and then go back and work on the Platinum trophy or should I do that before the E ending?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I did it. I beat it.

That ending brought a tear to my eye. Goddamn.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

gently caress the "Emil's Determination" quest. gently caress everything. gently caress life. gently caress existence. I'm going to go sob in a corner now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Nah. Pod 042 is the main character .

I really like the people that compare Pod 042 and Pod 153 to the Greek Chorus in old Greek theater, except in a postmodern twist, the Greek Chorus upends the system to forge a new ending.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I'm assuming you're going after the second quest. To get this one started, you're going to need to go back to Emil's house as 9S and steal from him again. Then you need to fully upgrade every weapon in the game* and talk to him in the commercial facility.

*At least, I'm pretty sure it requires you to fully upgrade them all. It might only require you to obtain them all.

As for your second question, it (usually) restarts quests that are in progress.

It is fully upgrade.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe it's because it is still so fresh for me, but Weight of the World is easily one of my favorite video game tracks ever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

No Wave posted:

Yeah, forty five minutes before a save point is how games should be made, especially if the PC version is noticeably buggy. We should all suffer for art.

If you've been unlocking nodes, you can save via your menu any time you're in their sphere of influence. You don't have to be standing directly at the node. I can't think of many times while playing this games where I was out from under a node's influence for more than about 20 minutes.