Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I tend to curse quite a bit, and I still look up to Kaine to this day as a hero in that regard.:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hello I am lecherous uncle Shinjobi and lemme tell ya: I like the way her tubes are put together, ya know what I'm sayin???

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nier broke my heart but I don't regret a thing.

I platinum'd that fucker too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My spider-senses are going bonkers. My body ain't ready for this yet. By god, I will grow those white flowers all over again if need be. Platinum will be mine.:stare:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I just got the first ending. Pretty nice run, and I fully expect things to get weird in this second ending run.

How drastically do things change after the first ending? Pretty natural progression into insanity, or do you eventually reach a cliff where you dive headfirst into the abyss?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh hell yeah.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Well, finally got my first two playthroughs done. Now it's time to see if this third playthrough is as crazy as people say..."

":stare:"

":eyepop:"

":psyboom:"

Jesus, the opening credits rolling there totally make sense.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ending C done, A2 was a trooper.

9S.....you need to talk to someone, man.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I alternated between the two, but by the end of the path I didn't feel like I missed anything.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wrapping things up finally with this game. Even with the ridiculous of money I saved up, buying certain materials + upgrading all the weapons got pricey really friggin fast.

Looking for the materials needed to upgrade Pod 3 to level 2. Natural water and simple gadgets, I think. After those weapons and pods are done, it'll be time to say hello to an old friend, then upgrade another weapon, then say hello to them again.

This game was a blast though. God dang.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think I'm going to be able to beat the lvl 99 super secret boss. Can't even beat their first form.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:tinfoil:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yoko Taro is hiding behind NDAs and lawyers

We gotta go after him

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey it was fun either way

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I swear there's been a ringing in my ears for a while now

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Automata is the better game. Replicant exists because I don't know how many people had the stomach to play OG Nier again.

You don't have to love Replicant, but if you didn't mind the ride I'd say the remake was worth it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There's just something about playing as an older man in a dystopia, where your best days are behind you and you're just desperately clinging to keeping your kid healthy. I think the change fit in pretty well with the setting.

Bro Nier is fine, no issues with that. Just a different vibe--the younger guy has a life ahead of him to explore.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

hatty posted:

He also has more life left to be ruined, perfect for Taro

This is true!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Word choice matters!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ShimaTetsuo posted:

tbh i'm still mad as gently caress that the idiots at squeenix of america thought we wouldn't find out that they took out emil's queerness in the original nier release. that is a straight up hate crime what the gently caress.

Yes, because what the game needed was old man Nier being romantically desired by a young boy. That would have been a great look instead, yeah?

Edit: seriously, the Kaine relationship gets odd enough as it is when you get to the last two endings. I don't see the game's original release as seriously investigating Emil's sexuality one way or another, and while you can argue it weakens a part of the game I'm not sure how you leave what was already there without causing other issues.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 16, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ShimaTetsuo posted:

the important part is that emil doesn't want a bride. he wants to be the bride. that's what he says. you don't really need to have him be romantically interested in father nier, just cut that out and have him still be who he is.

This could have been done, but I don't know if I'd call it a hate crime that it wasn't in the year 2010. It was only 12 years ago but it feels like a ton of dialogue has popped up about erasure in that amount of time.

Had we gotten bro nier from the jump I'd be side eyeing the changes a lot more, I guess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Augus posted:

I mean if it was just because of that they could have kept that he was gay and just removed the implication that he was attracted to Nier specifically. It’s weird for them to specifically add a line where he’s like “I hope I can get married TO A WOMAN, I WANT A HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE TO A FEMALE WOMAN”
I don’t think it’s a big stretch that the marketing team who decided the game needed a buff manly man in order to sell copies might’ve also said “no gay stuff” in the year 2010.

I'm just uncomfortable attributing to ill intent what could have just easily been attributed to "huh, we've encountered a problem we were not expecting with these changes." Maybe you just fix it with him insisting on being a bride himself one day and leave it at that. You're still going to get poo poo on by fans for missing the point of the original scene, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUtH3EoCRMg&t=32s

NieR is prepared for all twists and turns in its goofy rear end thread

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can hear a drum.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Augus posted:

it's even crazier if you're someone like me who was obsessed with Drakengard for years lol

I never played it but goddamn I was all over that soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Beefstew posted:

He showed up at the Dallas concert too!

"I'm Yoko Taro... maybe."

I will forever regret not going to that