Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I just had a long talk with a friend regarding Adam and it kinda threw me for a loop. Mostly what his motivation and reason for doing what he's doing through the game. Spoilers for route B and everything relating to Adam.

Basically her view was that Adam's only drive is his fascination with humans. He reads books, he imitates humans, going even so far as to die in the same way as them. The puppet show in route B that shows a lanky figure whose treasure is Hate represents either Eve or some other machine according to her. According to her during the entire 2nd fight Adam doesn't show a hint of hatred. She doesn't see Adam's actions as being driven by hatred at all, which is the polar opposite of my interpretation. His view of humanity's core being conflict, the puppet show mentioned before (Which I'm 100% sure is meant to represent Adam), his talk during the 2nd fight and how he lights up when 2B reveals her hatred for him... All those point to me that Adam is driven purely by hatred.

So who's more in the right here? This is kinda driving me crazy since I thought I had him figured out, but her views are just something I never contemplated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So the replies I got got me to thinking about this game even more. I love it when people can play the same game and come to different conclusions like this.

Also today I noticed that the original Nier made it to the top 10 of my local games store, which is really blowing my mind. Its the only PS3 game on the list too. Looks like Taro is finally getting some well deserved recognition.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm really getting the feeling that nobody at Platinum/Squeenix/Taro expected this game to sell as well as it did, so now they're panicking and trying to ride the gravy train as much as possible.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I wonder if they'll actually go ahead and put the scrapped ending in.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

What was the scrapped ending?

Takes place after ending D, and has Kaine go to the Forest of Myth to talk to the huge tree that's actually a Replicant system reset switch. After trashing the thing, she's able to restore Nier to life using the Forests memories of him when he first appeared in the village.

The ending got cut due to budget constraints. Its why you can see that the Tree has an entrance to its insides, but you can't walk through it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
For people who want some more Nier Automata lore, the first half of one of Yoko Taro's YorHa stage plays recently got official subtitles on youtube.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZV1FaE9pPE

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

RubberLuffy posted:

really this is worthy of pitching a fit at the NieR and Squenix Twitters

let them know they hosed up

This is what the trophy is specifically:

Wonder if this means they removed the old DLC outfits, which had Kaine's package on full display.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Is he best friends with Square-Enix's CEO or something.

I think that when Cavia went under and he was freelancing, or during the development of that Left 4 Dead clone of his that got canned, he ended up talking to his friend Saito and pitching some stuff to him. Or some other Squeenix employee who had some pull. That eventually turned into them getting him for Automata, which nobody expected to sell as well as it did.

It still blows my mind that one of my favorite games ever made, which not a lot of people heard of or cared about, just got a updated re-release by Square loving Enix. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at the first meeting post-release of Automata when it started making big numbers. I imagine everyone was really confused.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

That was a hilarious surprise when I opened my copy. At first I thought they just put some leftover old ads in it, but nope there's a PS5 logo and the copyright 2021 lol

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

e2: the reason the vast majority of YoRHa androids are women is because when they formed an squad of male androids, they attempted a coup d'etat after literally 4 days. why is so much amazing bonkers poo poo hidden in the side materials

The YorHa Boys novel/stage play contradicts that, I think. Male models are found to be too unstable/ineffective at fighting the war when deployed as a group, so they all get recalled to be changed into scanner models only. Basically wiping their memories/personalities so they can only fulfill that one role. Its pretty hosed up when it happens in the stage play/novel. As they were continuously getting killed/revived throughout the war and then basically get shafted.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Can't wait for cards to beg for mercy or have me think about their children as I'm forced to discard my hand

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

susan b buffering posted:

yoko taro i love you but please make a non-mobile game

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I wonder if a Drakengard remake could even work today, what with the incredibly edgy content in there like pedophilia, cannibalism, getting to slaughter child soldiers with a madman who can't stop smiling about it etc.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Automata's sold over 8 million copies now. That's more than Metal Gear Solid 4, the Final Fantasy 7 Remake (through 2023, at least), any Fire Emblem game, any Kirby game, any Megaman game (by a lot), any Persona game, all the Final Fantasy Tactics games combined, any Pikmin game, or any Metroid game.

It's huge for an RPG, getting numbers that even Final Fantasy has to respect, and a lot of it comes down to 2B, with her design drawing people in, and her combat style and role in the story keeping them long enough to get hooked. Makes sense she'd get a lot of cameos.

Still blows my mind that a sequel to a niche game like Nier blew up this hard. As someone who was obsessed with the original for years, never saw that coming lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

stev posted:

OK, Nier 3 is a pointless waste of time so I hope we get Nier 4

Nier 4 : The Search For More Money