Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I could be wrong since I’ve just started Route C, but I thought the idea was that 2B was a combat model so she’d mainly be getting sent straight into combat scenarios like the beginning of the game. So it makes sense that she wouldn’t know that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I beat it, Ending D. That was some poo poo. The ending sequence merging A2 and 9S gameplay-wise was pretty great too. Man, I was familiar with Taro through the Drakengard and Nier LPs, but still.

I think the most depressing thing overall is probably the reveal that literally the only thing separating YoRHa androids and machines is their creators. Which is also hilarious because you’re not just killing things with the ability to learn emotion and poo poo, you’re straight up killing the equivalent of androids only they look like little cartoon video game cannon fodder bad guys.

Well, either that or the idea that 2B is meant to be babysitting 9S on his recon job and waiting to off him when he infers that humanity is dead for the upteenth time.

How much of the DLC is worthwhile and not just a slog I should read the LP for? I’m guessing most/all of it is on par with the base game but it’s still nice to know in case.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well jeez guys, I know I’m not done, I’ve still got all those cool would building side quests to do, I just don’t care about spoilers anymore.

and also achievements to buy??? Because Yoko Taro just chilled the gently caress out on that front?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well Ending E sure was a thing. i offered help, how many people did the same? Only felt right.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I think I only had the unit data sidequest and one unmarked one for 2B left for completionist stuff. It really is nice in that context that someone can buy achievements and not actually lose much of substance.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, like I said I only had the Data Collection sidequest one left, and while I’m pretty sure I could have cleared it with amusement park kills, that probably would have meant killing the happy robots. That really should have capped at 85%.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The game does answer your questions later on, you’re just not that far in, relatively speaking.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tarezax posted:

yeah you can only do the first superboss fight as 9S because you need to be able to hack the chest. You can still powerlevel off the amusement park bunny, but you have to spend the time whacking him to get him to wake up before you can hack him.

For anyone that’s trying to level, I got a really good bit of advice for this from the LP: Equip the Blade pod program and just stand next to it while browsing SA or some poo poo on your phone, that’s basically the fastest way to wake it at low levels.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Excellent. I feel like I'm still quite early on, but do you guys have any newbie pointers as far as ways to spend my materials and cash? Only weapon I've upgraded is the one freebie during the quest to unlock the weapon shop.

I am missing a lot of types of materials but I can't tell what's possible to get now or have to hope for later.

There’s a definite point of no return in regards to sidequests that could be telegraphed better (minor spoilers)when they send you to the coastbut nothing is permanently missable except the hardest ending. One of the shops in the resistance camp sells expansions for your chip loadouts, that’s more or less the only thing I wish I knew.

Oh, and there are an handful of sidequests that have absurdly high leveled enemies, you have a chance to do those later when you’re property leveled for them on the New Game+.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Route B was pretty much Sidequest Extravaganza for me, but I can see how if you did everything aside from the poo poo that’s actually B Route only or effectively gated to Route B with the level curve how it might be a slog.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

i am tim! posted:

From what I have found, the relationship Nier has with Kaine, Emil and Weiss doesn’t seem to change too much from Father to Brother. I don’t think that they take him as seriously when he’s just a kid during the first half of the game, but they still follow him. I think Kaine might tease him more?

One difference I remember being highlighted in Id’s LP is how Brother Nier reacts to the events of the game, particularly the two brothers in the mountains. Brother Nier walks away a great deal more shaken by all of that given that he’s also an orphan trying to raise his little sibling as best he can.

To be honest having an atypical JRPG protagonist is cool and all, but Nier’s whole thing always seemed like it would work better with a plucky JRPG protagonist being subjected to the game’s events.

I mean, (huge Automata spoilers)it worked out pretty well for 9S!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Route B was pretty fresh for me since the game doesn’t really telegraph it’s sidequest “point of no return” very well so I had most of those to do plus the B route ones and ones that might as well be B Route exclusive. But yeah, I definitely sympathize with people who aren’t familiar with the cost-efficient (re: we don’t have enough money to make a 60 hour game like we think people want without reusing content) way Taro makes games who felt burned when they got told to play a Director’s Cut edition of the game they just beat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I don’t think Automata really spoils much besides that top boy Emil is still alive and kicking a billion years after Replicant.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t think of Nier as the kind of series where being spoiled matters much. But umm, speaking of spoilers, (HOLY HELL NEWBIES DONT READ THIS) golly gee does killing those shades an hour in for the first time after being spoiled NOT feel good. At least they took out the additional gutpunch of iirc them having coloring books? :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, so either I’m the stupidest fuxker in the world (entirely possible) or the Aerie loving sucks poo poo, probably both.

Also holy poo poo is it super rude to give you a pale flower fetch quest right before having to wade through a whole army of shades.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc Taro’s openly admitted that Replicant being as repetitive as it is (as well as most of his stuff to some degree) is because he doesn’t wanna charge people $60 for a 10-15 hour game, so hopefully he’ll just lay off it if there’s no need for it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I knew the aliens were real because of the supplemental post-Gestalt stuff materials but it’s still pretty funny to know that they made robots stronger/smarter than them and got the poo poo kicked out of them for it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

goblin week posted:

Dreadful. Awful. Anyway back to Nier: Replicant v1.22694201337...

lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m in Facade right now and I’m coming to the conclusion that Replicant is pretty much the Earthbound to Automata’s Mother 3, in that one is kind of serviceable if clunky and the other is an actual good game but whether or not one or the other is a better experience is largely subjective cause they try to do different things.

I think I’m gonna prefer Automata’s weirdass sense of humor but I’m not regretting spending $60 to experience a good experience in its own right.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Question: am I doing something wrong with fishing? I actually managed to catch a few shaman fish, but I accepted a quest where an old guy wants sardines and the instant I tilt the stick whatever fish is handing out by the old timer breaks off instantly. Do the baits just make it so you can hook stuff that’s too strong, cause I thought they were just for finding different kinds in one area.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That worked great, thanks! Now they’re asking me for blowfish though, and I’m guessing I need to use sardines for that. That I guess I lost even though the old man shouldn’t, you know, need to take. Ugh

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

…my god I need to see that.

Same, I guess I need to buy the DLC now, gently caress.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started listening to the last few tracks of the Automata OST since my phone started it up on my sleep and it just makes for real good listening and man...gently caress. It’s been three years and Weight of the World - End of YoRHAh still hits different than other final boss themes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So I’m near the timeskip and why does the Shadowlord look like Young Nier? I’m pretty familiar with the story of Nier through LPs and summaries but that’s one thing that’s obviously never come up. And gently caress, it’s a real gut punch making you actually click that option at the end. And also wow does this work much better with a little baby Nier getting punked, really sells how powerless you feel

Also I don’t get the complainants about Noir sounding bad? It sounds hammy but umm, the other magic talking book sounds extra af too??

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Shadowlord Nier is the Nier you played in the prologue, turned into a Shade. The Nier you play as is a Replicant based on him.

Nah, I know that part, what I’m confused on specifically is why he doesn’t look like Adult Nier cause Nier Replicant has been cloned dozens upon dozens of time like the other replicants unless I’m remembering the lore wrong. So it makes sense for Young Nier to look young at the start of the game cause that’s where we are in the cycle, but shouldn’t Shadowlord just look like Adult Nier? Or stay a kid?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh... That's why (post-A) those shades drop schoolbooks and coloring books... :smith:

Yeah, the Nier games are pretty interesting in that you can pretty effectively obfuscate child murder/suicide ratings-wise by just making them not “technically” kids. Hey, at least you only killed a few kids that were lucid and passive, the rest that drew first blood already lost their minds!

...gently caress me nan, talking about Nier is depressing. :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Now that I’m in the post-timeskip part of the game I have to say, it feels very on brand for Eve and Adult Nier to have the same voice actor. I almost wonder whether or not it was deliberate like Grimoire Noir/Pod.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doubleposting to say, umm, wow, I remember enough of the old LP to feel physically ill after my revisit to the first area. Automata was just a downer in general but killing what I’m pretty sure I remember are little kids while the grownups ineffectually flail away as this one guy and his friends mow them down feels real loving bad, man. Especially what I remember of the boss. gently caress, I don’t know if I have it in me to go through the ACTUAL B route. Actually playing this stuff feels different than reading an LP or watching a YouTube summary, you know?

Also on a brighter note it’s a really nice touch that Emil’s speech to Kaine autoscrolls despite nothing else in the game so far doing so.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just a heads up to something that only comes up through supplemental material iirc Beepy is the robot that’s alluded to in Automata that gives the machines their sentience, or at least I think that’s how it goes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i kinda read her insane outfit as a combination of asserting her feminity and for the far more pragmatic purpose of being effectually a fail safe if Tyrann possess her cause then there’s at least decent odds that approximately half her shade self melts on possession. The bandages don’t make much sense in that context but then again looking at her limbs probably makes her emotional plus iirc we dont know if there’s clear signs of possession.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say a few non-weapon ones (like The Strange Fate of the Jewel) are worth doing. Not all of them revolve around grinding up obnoxiously rare drops.

Just far too many of them.

And then there's the weapon upgrades.

It kinda sucks that they put the weapon stories back in but didn’t make the drops feasibly farmable at some point like Automata (which kinda HAD to, but still) but at least everything gets mulched super hard with the one-two combo of Dark Hand > Fatality, mashing Square, or for most mini bosses, mashing L1.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

well i got ending A, after 30 hours lmao

I didn't get all the 30+ resource quests done because gently caress the junk heap, even though Gideon is very entertaining as a cackling robot-hating psychopath. i haven't heard any subpar voice acting, the red bag couple are some of the funniest stuff i've heard and there's of course that dude at the shipyard who's like "hey you are the idiot kid who will do anything including scrubbing toilets, ahahahahaha!"

The red bag couple are pretty great, especially how the shipwreck sequence relies on you assuming the bag guy is fine and just got lost for like a week or there’s some other explanation that means he’ll be okay cause that’s what makes sense for the dumb gag NPC but nope! :(

I also love that it’s just a meta joke at some point that Nier obsessively does anything people tell him to even after it outright contradicts the narrative post-skip, even if some of the fetch quests themselves aren’t the most fun.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it’s been asked but probably buried by now, but just to make sure from what I can tell/remember reading regarding Route C in Replicant, the only different parts before the end won’t let you mash Skip Scene, right?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for the heads up, I knew about 2 from looking up OST videos on YouTube and remember something about 1, but it’s good to know I can blaze through everything else.

...sure would be nice if C Route was mostly just abridged aside from those, Automata Bad Ending Credits style though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Route C spoilers: wow, that new ending to the Shipwreck. It’s funny how the “good” version just leaves me kinda empty and I almost wanna cry now. That boss fight was some real Automata poo poo though, couldn’t help getting kinda hype.

lol that they put a time attack trophy behind a boss fight that changes significantly every route, like I guess I can always reload and mash through the cutscenes but still.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Gonna do ending e

So far I feel that baby nier is a better narrative character than papa nier, it also makes a few scenes in the original look more right especially when nier yells at Kaine that they are friends! Friends live for each other!, Emil saying he wants to see nier again at the end and the awkward kiss/no kiss bits. The sense of desperation also looks better when it's a child especially the intro sequence. I also appreciate they made Emil's dialogue before the facade wedding more gay and in love with nier than the original papa nier version.

Yeah that’s been my take too, like I’m sure Jamison Price did a phenomenal job as far as acting Father Nier goes but there’s been a lot of spots where having Brother Nier was always the intention and anything else would seem jank, from the obvious bits like being able to use giant anime swords and lances post-timeskip to (Ending B spoilers) the ending with Young Shadowlord huddled in a ball bawling because his millennia-spanning quest ended in total failure doesn’t seem like it would hit quite as hard if it wasn’t a kid.

Also the dynamic of a young adult and seemingly stock JRPG protagonistbeing as hostile and vitriolic as he is towards Shades and anything associated with shades, regardless of whether or not they act like thinking, passive creatures is kinda uniquely creepy in way an adult protagonist wouldn’t be but that could just be how good his VO is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Do the time attack trophies only consider the fight finished when the cutscenes after are done? I just figured the game checked the time taken and gave you the trophy if you met it after you did all the cutscenes since, you know, that would actually make sense, but I’m pretty sure I beat (Route C/D spoilers)final Popula/Devola in well under the needed time of three and a half but only skipped through some of the post-dialogue (I already got Ending C and I’m just gunning for D now).

That umm, really really loving sucks that they take the post-cutscene dialogue into account, but I guess it explains how I don’t have all the trophies post-timeskip after turbokilling most of the bosses.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It kinda says a lot that HOLY gently caress SPOILERSeven knowing that there’s a way to get one of your saves back the whole sequence of seeing your stuff deleted, gradually getting slower over time, was still pretty harrowing to watch. Like yeah technically Automata does the same thing but it’s a much different feel. And wow, it almost feels cruel leaving Kaińe behind and erasing Nier’s existence. “Something precious”...

I also appreciate the effort of taking the Protagonist out of the credits. On to one last round of rehashed bull crap!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

goblin week posted:

You’re gonna be v mad because the timer for that particular fight starts the moment you enter the room, so the subtitled dialogue counts. Also, it ends only when you get control of Nier back so after the cutscenes AND the new Emil textplay

e: with what I’d humbly describe as optimal play, I got 3:40 between the two. Load times don’t count though. Start mashing!

Lol, that’s vintage Cavia mean spirited jank, I can’t even be mad at that point it’s just too fuckin funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Route E spoilersgently caress YEAH TOP BOY EMIL COMIBG OUT OF NOWHERE WITH THE CLUTCH SAVE

Edit: that was sure a great trip. Got to unerase my Nier from existence, that’s real neat. Going through an entire dungeon where AIs lecture you about how the Gestalts are going berserk because of what fuckups we are is...kinda sobering though. At least I got a super OP sword that I’ll never use! And the cast said bye to me, which is actually pretty nice, I can’t imagine how good it felt to hear that from the guys who were playing the original Nier when the original sendoff was Route D.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 21, 2021