Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nina posted:

This is the best we got http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/drakengard/images/5/51/DOD13-timeline-large.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150620101654

But after the whole DoD1.3 debacle you shouldn't trust on concepts like "coherent continuity" anymore. Canonicity and noncanonicity aren't really things either. Everything is "canon" but might just happen in a different timeline

What was that about anyway? I vaguely remember it as 'this is the revised story/timeline taking Drakengard 3 into account because you all aren't suffering enough'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

No one ever expects Taro Yoko games to get sequels, but somehow, it just keeps happening.

How much dirt does he have on the SE higher-ups, do you think?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He could probably make a pretty great Shin Megami Tensei game. A very hosed up one, but still.

I would not be surprised to find out that was an influence on him along the line. I remember reading his thoughts on Caim and how any RPG hero would be neck deep in corpses by the end of the game. You have to murder tons of people on any given playthrough, but in a Neutral run, everyone has to die. And even then, the world is more than likely, irredeemably hosed anyway.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Taro Yoko is a Dark Lord of the Sith. Whenever he makes players suffer, his nipples tingle. Which explains the grin.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Harrow posted:

For game length, if all of Yoko Taro's other games are any indication, you should expect a first playthrough to last somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 hours. But his games (almost?) always have New Game+ modes with story differences and multiple playthroughs are required to get all of the endings--and things usually start getting really interesting in playthroughs past the first. Going by HowLongToBeat.com, the first Nier takes 19-ish hours for a first playthrough and then anywhere from 35-40 hours for full story completion (and a lot more if you want all of the weapons and collectibles). Drakengard 3 is around that length, too, for a more recent example.

I think i was about 25 hours for my first playthrough of Nier (first & second endings), about 15-20 for Revengence, so if it matches that for a first runthrough, I'll be very happy. As long as it doesn't have a 'collect/level all weapons' requirement for an ending (though we all know it will).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I still say that the one redeeming thing Drakengard 2 has is anything and everything to do with Caim. Even if he had next to nothing to do with the rest of the game, someone was channeling Yoko with those scenes.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Amazon in Europe has an exclusive version of the game available for preorder. However, it just comes with a plain black t-shirt featuring an image of Emil's face (the kind of thing you could probably get ten of off Etsy or Redbubble) and costs about £15 more. Kinda disappointing, but maybe someone out there will want one?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I work down the road from one Game and live down the road from another. Looks like they're offering a Steelbook edition (probably the same one in the Black Box pack) for an extra £5, so that's that choice made.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, I kind of wish Yoko Taro would make a game set between Drakengard and Nier in the vein of magical apocalypse X-Com. The backstory between the two games is such that you see direct escalations between the humans and the watchers in stages. At first with people turning into pillars of salt and becoming red eyed zombies fighting a traditional military. Then as the WCS spreads and you see bigger, more terrifying monsters, the humans counter with research into Maso and the dragon to introduce vaccines to slow the rate of people getting salty and preliminary experiments with magic. Then as poo poo hits the fan you start seeing replicants immune to the Watcher's corruption being led by androids and actual biological magical weapons being developed like Emil. The final stages is holding back the unending horde of the legion while you work to gestalt the remnants of humanity to prevent the legion's influence from spreading further.

I've always said, I want to see a CoD-like game that starts off all gung-ho, then about halfway through, your character dies horribly, the team back at base is slowly going mad, some committing suicide, others joining this new cult that's sprung up, secretly subverting the project. Then the rest of the game has you playing a bunch of terrified teenage soldiers barely able to hold back the Legion. I have an idea of a game that begins triumphant, and by the end, you feel utterly crushed and hopeless. Fun!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I heard the name and genuinely thought it was a platform collect-em-up throwback featuring a cartoony lizard mascot character. I didn't even know Platinum were involved until today.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A Sinister Rap posted:

Are you thinking of Scaler?

Definitely not on any conscious level, but that's exactly the sort of game I was picturing, and I'd be surprised if I was the only one.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If you can't play it (the first game has gone up in price sharply over the last year and it's not available digitally for some insane reason) The Dark Id did a 100% playthrough that also covers the backstory (which is easily one of the best parts of the game itself).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It doesn't seem to be a timed-release demo, so don't rush things. If you're taking on the temple looking for the prince, I'd say you're just shy of the halfway point. I think that's the last major story beat before the midpoint.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lest we forget that one reviewer called the game absolute garbage because he was too loving dumb to follow a marker.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Arguably the last third if you count NG+. Everything from the second half of your first playthrough is one standout moment after another.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The shorter version is, never play Drakengard and/or/especially Nier. It will only hurt you and break your heart.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Saint Freak posted:

People keep posting that 30 minute lore summary on each page and I'm not 30 minutes worth of interested. Someone needs to make like a 100 word summary.

Drakengard: Humanity is gangfucked by the gods/terrifying space babies, hero and dragon fall through portal to our world, both die
Post-Drakengard/Pre-Nier - Humanity is gangfucked by magic plague/salt zombies, almost everyone dies, but some are saved due to science magic
Nier: Humanity is gangfucked by shadow monsters/a different magic plague, a few people die, then everyone dies
Post-Nier/Pre-Automata - Humanity is gangfucked by aliens/robots, humanity, finally seeing a pattern emerging, fucks off to the moon, makes better robots with magnificent asses
Automata - robots with magnificent asses beat up other robots. That's it, that's the game.

Is that a hundred words?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Honestly, Bloodborne was the game that sold me on the PS4. Remembering this was also coming out down the line was a bonus. Not to get all console warrior, but I genuinely can't think of a single Bone-exclusive title coming out that interests me. By comparison, the vast majority of my favourite franchises are all making a showing on PS4 sooner or later.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dang, that looks really nice. A far cry from the Bravely Default figure, at the very least. I was expecting it to be bigger than six inches though (and yes, that is what she said).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember reading once that one of his primary motivations when writing a story was to deliver something that's never been seen before. And it works. He offers highly audience-alienating premises (incest, pedophilia, heroes who are anything but, magnificent robot asses, etc.) but does it in a way that almost never feels gratuitous. Until recently, he was known as the guy who wears the creepy mask, but now people are starting to sit up and take notice of the writing. In an industry where yearly franchises, remakes and reboots are a fact of life, that's becoming a big deal, as well it should. It helps that the translation and voice acting has been top-notch all the way.

Augus posted:

It's weird how Yoko Taro's role is being emphasized more now, it used to be a behind-the-scenes thing that only nerds like us picked up on but then E3 happened and here he is just walking out onstage wearing a crazy mask.

Crazy works sometimes.

Nina posted:

You just kinda sign into a wordless agreement that Taro can materialize in your house and drink all the beer in the fridge when you buy his games. That's just what life is like as a DOD fan

You're lucky, last time he emerged from the screen, he wanted to watch Requiem For a Dream, but with the subtitles from Wreck-It Ralph.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Now watch as it turns out that's the only way to access the final ending in Automata.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Well, it's been fun, friendos, but now''s about the point where I bow out. See you on Robuttpocalypse Day.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just popping in to ask UK/Euro peeps: I'm buying this off Amazon and getting release-day delivery. When will Amazon likely take the money from my account? Is it 2-3 days before or day of shipping (usually the day before from other stuff I've bought)?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Managed to get my grubby hands on a copy early (god bless game shops breaking UK release dates 3 days early). I've stayed out of the thread the last week or two, so forgive me if I mention anything done to death already. Anyway, was I the only one getting odd Ikaruga vibes from the intro? Not the colour-switching part, obviously, but the white and black ships reminded me a hell of a lot of it.

I'm loving the musical nods to the previous game. They're subtle enough that you don't notice them until they suddenly click and you can't help but hear them. Also caught a reference (I'm assuming) to Red Eyes in the message where you pick your death message, which was cute. And is that Devola and Popola in the background of the 2D section of the first resistance camp you come to?

My only complaints so far are that, for as fun as the combat is, the enemy variety doesn't seem to warrant using more than a couple of moves. There's no ranking system and, so far, no enemies that require or dodge certain attacks, other than the guys with the blast shields. I'm only at the YoRHa rescue mission, still early on, but the challenge is lacking so far. The story and script seems a little dry so far as well. I know I shouldn't be expecting Drakengard 3's silliness, but it's pulling off the emotionless robot trope a little too well thus far. I can imagine that'll make it all the more jarring and satisfying when the game takes it's inevitable hard left into Batshit Wackyland though. It's not clicking with me instantly the way the last game did, but I'm by no means regretting it. I think I'm just impatient to get to the meat of the story.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I appear to be stuck, having fallen down a waterfall to a semi-underground area with an elevator. There's a small path to near the top of the waterfall, but past that, I can't seem to see where to go. Suggestions?

Norns posted:

Lmao if your wife feels threatened by a anime android

If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son, but I've got 99 problems and robot rear end ain't one.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Saint Freak posted:

The gameplay is so fast how can you even tell

Seriously, during fights, I'm more concentrating on not dying than seeing a flash of rear end. If the camera just so happens to tilt up under her skirt every time you climb a ladder, I think that's more on you than the game. Besides, I like her outfit. Memetic rear end aside, it has an elegance you don't see in games too often.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Vermain posted:

As a PC plebeian I am unbelievably looking forwards to this coming Friday. I'm glad that this game seems to be meeting all expectations.

I think it's fair to say that it takes a long time to get going. Nier clicked with me and many others almost immediately. Automata, on the other hand, I've just unlocked fast travel (I'm maybe 5-6 hours in, I think) and only now is it starting to feel like the game we all fell in love with way back when. So if you start playing and it feels really disappointing, don't worry, it's only temporary.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Accidentally got Ending I. 10/10, would be Trolled by Cavia aga-

Wait. My last save was when?!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think I'm towards the end of my first playthrough and I've only found about 4-5 weapons in the wild to begin with, most of them in story dungeons. The vast majority of them seem to show up in shops.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I found that as 2B by accident last night and entered a pocket dimension of spinning and butts.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Well, as seems to be tradition, I just finished Route A and I'm now posting about it. Glad to see Yoko Taro's keeping his habit of Ending A being "A Winner Is You", I'm assuming Ending B is "Here's What Really Happened" and all the non-joke endings begin varieties of Deep Suffering, yes?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So after the goliath attacks the city and you go into the alien spaceship, there's a black dot on the map around its base. Is that someone/thing to find? If so, where the hell is it, because it's been driving me mad that I can't find it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Did Vanquish have a pummel duel? It's been so long since I've played it, I don't remember.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sakurazuka posted:

Every time I think this game can't hurt me any more it proves me wrong

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Uh, sorry for being too lazy to blur out the names on what I thought was a pretty obvious joke, I guess?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just got Ending B and holy poo poo that 'next episode preview' gave me legit chills. I thought the third playthrough was going to be what A2 had been doing this whole time, not an entirely new storyline! Needless to say, I am loving stoked for this.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yeah, was that what people meant by the game having 'the best title card drop ever seen' or whatever it was?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just got out the opening sections of Route C.

She's gone? I... what? I don't even care that Hell's own version of the Disney Castle has sprung up, I'm still in shock.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hommando posted:

There are no brakes on the despair train.

No one stops. It's way to late to STOP!

NO ONE STOOOOOOOPS!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nina posted:

So anyone got DLC wishlists yet? For me it's pretty much Operation Pearl Harbor, 2B prequel and something with Accord

More Jackass, solving all her problems with drugs, explosions and fish.