Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

lets hang out posted:

holy poo poo swapping the light sword to triangle and the heavy sword to square completely changes their movesets

Yeah it looks like each weapon has a different moveset depending on which slot it's in. I really like the light sword's secondary moveset, 2B just turns that katana into a boomerang and it's flipping amazing.

I love the demo, the only bits I'm a little ehhh about are the parts with the little gun shits+weird camera angles. I don't mind either individually and it's not difficult per say, the damage is just so high on Hard (and obviously lol u died on Very Hard) it forces you into a slow, podgun focused style that isn't fun for me. They're dumb little mooks, I want to be making GBS threads down their necks with a fuckoff daikatana not pewpewing them for 10 seconds while lining them all up so all their shots get blocked. Other than that I adore it and I love the bullet hell sequences in the boss fights, even if they are trivially easy in the demo.

Edit: A cool thing I just figured out while mucking about : if you hold jump while falling you hang on to your pod and slowfall. You can shoot while slowfalling and if you hit an attack button you do a neat roundhouse kick.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Just lol if you think her YorHa-issue combat boots would break with a mere metal grate. The comic should have ended with her ripping the whole thing out and dragging it around :colbert:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

HenryEx posted:

I hope not.

18+ kHz supremacy :smuggo:

(i can't actually hear 18+ anymore)

edit: if you wanna try yourself: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

Goddamit I can hear 22 fml no wonder. I have to put phone chargers and stuff in the other room because I can hear them when I go to sleep. I'm 30 too...when will the madness end T_T

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Looks like the March 10th PC date has been removed from the trailer. Sorry PC bros :(

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
What's the idiot's guide to purchasing the HK version? Also, does it work the same as a NA purchase in terms of being able to log into my regular PSN and play or do I have to change my region or account or something every time I'd like to play Nier? I'm happy to wait but if it's effectively identical I might as well get it now.

Edit: -v- Thanks much. I will sleep on it and make a decision in the morning!

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 23, 2017

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I saw several reports that the game was indicating it was fully downloaded but when the people checked their storage it had only downloaded 20gb (out of 40ish) so check that too. That plus the account juggling that would be required (for future dlc etc) has pushed me to wait for the NA release but I'm jonesin hard! Need me some sweet Platinum character action....

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So without spoiling what they involve and all, how many endings we looking at that are 'real' endings and not just 'yea if you delete your OS chip congrats on ending the game dipshit'.

My understanding is 5 "real" endings and 20+ "joke" endings (25 was the number I saw thrown about).

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I just marathoned through the latter half of B and all of route C today and I'm watching the credits roll now. It's rare that you get such an excellent blending of gameplay and storytelling. It really has been a treat so far. Playing this back to back with Breath of the Wild has been one of the best series of weeks in all my decades of gaming. Even my wife (an avowed scoffer-at-games) has gotten engaged in the story. Looking forward to wrapping up the rest of the endings.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Just finished ending E, loved it. I really liked how they allowed you to make an actual (however minor it is in the big scheme of things) sacrifice in order to help others.

That is something that is really cool and unique to games as opposed to a passive medium like books or movies. It just gives you those warm fuzzies and the lead-up with the other players helping you and everything was just perfectly executed. I was moved by it and it's pretty fuckin cool that someone as old as me can be moved by a video game. I knew that a delete-your-save choice was coming and I fully expected to say no, but after that sequence I just went ahead and pulled the trigger. What a gem of a game. Now to play it again to get that last fuckin cheevo goddamit I shoulda done it first!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Caesar Saladin posted:

This game runs like true poo poo on my pc. No matter what settings I put it at, no matter what I do, despite having a 1060 which is a pretty good hard, it just hitches randomly for upwards of half a second all the drat time. Doesn't matter if the screen is completely packed or not, it'll just hitch when i hit a dude for some reason sometimes or when I walk through an area. I hate it so much, I wish I got it for my ps4.

Yeah I got it for my PC as well, same card, similar poor performance. I tried a couple fixes with no luck and just refunded it and got it on PS4. Luckily I was keeping careful track of my playtime and went in with the full intent to refund it if I couldn't get it running how I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

I pretty thoroughly enjoyed it and I enjoyed a lot of the same games you did so it may be a case of expectations not meeting reality.

I agree that the combat is actually pretty shallow. I found that to be rather a question of enemy design and difficulty curve rather than the mechanics available to the player within instances of combat themselves. Health regen of some sort or another is simply too plentiful for combat to be consequential and the enemies are not relentless enough to punish you within individual instances of combat. Which is probably why they made Very Hard into instagib mode but that's kind of a cop out imo. After the (very excellent) intro, combat quickly becomes inconsequential as the game opens up. The game makes up for it though with how stylish that combat can be. Personally I found a lot of enjoyment in optimizing my plug-ins and playstyle to let me be as stylish as possible at all times.

As for the story, I personally didn't feel any real discordance in the areas you mentioned. The androids are created to kill machines after all, the stranger part is how easily they accept Pascal's village. What I did notice was that I often felt like the game intended me to do certain open-ended events in a specific order and didn't account for you taking a different route (most noticeable during Emil's questline where the first Lunar Tear I found had him talking about remembering the sand pouring into the area we were in, which was the Flooded City). Similarly I sometimes felt that dialogue was out of order within conversations (maybe a translation issue?). However the story itself was pretty consistent with what I expect from Yoko Taro and I actually quite prefer the cast of Automata to the original, who I often found overly whiny (possibly why I dislike 9S as well). That's a purely subjective issue however.

All in all, I didn't go in expecting greatness, merely competence with an engaging plot, and I was pleasantly surprised, especially by Ending E (which I thought was brilliant and a far better use of the medium than anything Nier ever even attempted). It may be that you had higher expectations and that could explain the difference in our perceptions of it?