Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

2B or not to be....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

yay, music

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

e: disregard

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

2B is classy and cool as hell

e: Also her name is nice in that "oh I get it" kind of way

Terper fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 25, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

I don't get it, is it a spoiler thing?

What lets hang out said and how that works with what Motto said

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

Boy am I curious how they're going to walk back that ending, though. At the same time I'm half expecting the scenario to be exclusively for the demo and to not take place at all in the main game.

:speculate:

I think one of the game's core themes will be what it means "2 B", as all good robot stories should. 2B and 9S are androids like Devola and Popola, and can die and return as long as their human masters will it, but they're still "human", with their own thoughts and emotions that they're not allowed to show since they are expendable and "not real". Add this to the WW2 references and 9S referring to them as soldiers and there you go.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nina posted:

Yeah Devola and Popola being around definitely makes me believe in the idea that for the most of the game you'll be playing as 2B and 9S rebuilt after dying with reuploaded memories. OR they don't get the same memories back and being totally expendable is how humanity gets around the whole nagging issue of artificial people inevitably gaining emotions as seen in Nier.

I'm wondering just how far they're gonna run this theme and just how many times they might kill the characters off.

We also have Emil, who is a very early human-weapon.

The "happy ending" we were promised may well be the destruction of all of humanity so that our robot children can be free :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually the protagonists of this game are not so different from the first's.
Nier, and every other "human" for that matter, was just as artificial as 2B or Devola or Popola. Replicants were shells created to keep humanity safe that eventually developed their own consciousnesses incompatible with their human overlords. All life in Nier-verse, be they man, machine, magic or something in-between, is "real".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Weskerbot is a treasure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/dodonpahchi/status/814274016236032000

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's only one Nier game (so far) in the West, and the only differences between the Japanese versions is that you play as Papa Nier in the 360 versions, and Bro Nier in the PS3 version. You only play as Papa Nier in the western games, no matter the console.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo youtube is starting to throw NIER AUTOMATA BOSS #2 videos at me in the suggested for you window- is there a way to make it stop?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Not almost.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey this game released in Europe today, and this cannot continue

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just got started with Route C and the title screen showed up.

Sorry 9S, there will be no **** with 2B.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I had no idea you could even embed YT videos on SA so :shrug: always come up looking like this for me

I'll break the link regardless.

That icon means it's embedded, but you need to activate it in the options for it to show up for you.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I forget, when in Route A does the conversation with 60 happen when she cries because the girl she liked rejected her?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Having just beaten the game a couple of days ago, I think my favorite little allegory of humanity is when there are only two girls left in the N2 fight and they stay far away from each other, swinging uselessly at the air in front of them. That whole fight was a nice little microcosm of the game's themes of conflict.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The thing is, it's really sorta both.

If you do Jackass's sidequests, she finds out that the combat adrenaline the androids were designed to feel is incredibly similar to lust and love. That other E-unit you meet during the Amnesia sidequest, she had also fallen in love with her mark. The bloodlust androids feel is really not separable from standard lust itself (if it's with someone they think is like, hot, i guess). That 9S vs 2Bs fights in the Tower was really just one large violent orgy. And hell, when the machines are having an orgy that turns to violence, that's when Adam is born.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

9S is still in combat and getting all hot and bothered with android juices. It's not like the lust is aimed at the one they're fighting, it's just a general sensation they get from the pleasure-generating chemicals, and they have to aim it somewhere.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3JStwa6JDY

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey man at least your game of the year is going to get actual recognition and praise and be actually considered for awards by a somewhat mainstream-gaming audience.

One of these days, Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A DrakeNier Arcys fighting game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RicuOslk6W0

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

isk posted:

Bear in mind Yoko Taro's been working on a raid in FFXIV. Even if his main contributions are complete, he's likely still supervising and providing adjustments.

In case anyone still hasn't heard this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAgd9dbYIs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Like 70% of the male NPCs in the village are voiced by Matt Mercer lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Solovey posted:

game good

what level do i need to hit and/or what weapons should i obtain before i can reasonably expect to not get instagibbed by that boar on the northern plains

0, just jump up on the big rock and pelt it with magic bolts :c00l:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I dunno what this room where I can't run wants from me, I end up pushing the stick just a skoutch too far and I start jogging.

You could hold down block, or simply use your normal attack combo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

that made me mad at the time but later I realized

Good now take that experience and apply it to this situation because you wrote

quote:

I think the difference between the two is that in order to appreciate Automata, you pretty much need to suffer from existential dread and possibly other mental illnesses IRL.

which is loving stupid

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/NorcalGBVS/status/1759753837584531487

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Also a loving incredible soundtrack

But yes a new 2B crossover naturally also means a new Weight of the World remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8Ve0mpExM