Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm trying very hard to avoid spoilers and the like, but has there been any word on the demo hitting steam? I'm waiting for that version (and hoping for a surprise port of the first nier while I'm at it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I just found out about that sweet as hell limited edition that comes with Nier for the PS4 and I'm incredibly tempted to grab it. :negative: But I want to know if they're going to have a similar bundle for the PC before I do. Why are they so tight lipped about the PC Edition?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

mrfishstick posted:

A PC release has been confirmed but the exact release date has been a cluster gently caress of mixed messages to the point that at the moment, no one has any idea at all when it's going to release on PC.

It's really worrying because I want to get the steam version, but if we're never getting it or if it's like a year delayed or something I'll just buy the PS4 version. But I don't want to buy the PS4 game only to find out PC is coming out like a week later.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So because I'm grumpy about it I'd just like to say, watch out if you've googled this game at all and go to youtube?

I haven't looked up a single automata video because I really want to go in to this blind like a dweeb and what happens when I load up youtube to check up on my susbcriptions? Front and center "NIER AUTOMATA FINAL BOSS" complete with the name, a description in the title and a thumbnail featuring a close up of it. So that's a bit of a bummer. At least the rest of the game will still be a surprise. :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Something like that spoils basically nothing for you, I promise.

That's good to know. At least knowing who it is won't unravel the whole plot. :shrug: Still, real bummer that it happened.

polish sausage posted:

I'm one of the fuckwits that collected all the weapons in drakengard 1 when it first came out.

I did it after reading Dark Id's LP where he very clearly makes it obvious how stupid and lovely it is to do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So while it installs, quick questions. Hopefully without spoilers.
Endings, how many?
Anything missable? I know in the first game there were a few quests that if you didn't finish before the time skip, they'd be unfinishable.

And for anyone who's started the PC version already; how are the controls? KB+M good or should I just get my gamepad ready?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

nerdz posted:

I'd rather not see any more drakengards ever again really

I want them all on steam.

EDIT: Game doesn't detect my PS4 gamepad. That sucks.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 18, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

I haven't even done a proper genocide yet, are we sure we're playing a Nier sequel?

I don't think there are any elves in the robot future. Are we sure this is even a yoko taro game?

Anyway, I think I just finished the tutorial? That was pretty rad but my game drops frames pretty hard during the cutscenes with fog effects. The gameplay is 100% fine though, anyone else get that or is it just me? Did not expect devastator though. That was fun.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Try fiddling with Steam Big Picture. Apparently Steam supports the PS4 controller, just not Nier itself.

I just went with DS4Windows and it works fine.

I found the KBM controls super awkward, it wants you to use WSAD and the arrow keys. / is heavy attack but Shift is the light attack. I'm certain you can rebind it as you see fit though, I just went with a gamepad though.

buglord posted:

What are your specs? Running a GTX1070, i5 6500, 8GB RAM, SSD. Settings at max on 1080p resolution. Silky smooth during gameplay, :whitewater: during cutscenes.
Yeah some cutscenes are janky for me, I'm thinking it might just be the game though because likewise, gameplay is loving perfect. Even most of the cutscenes are fine, any of the ones where my character shows up wearing her dumb robot head are fine. It's just the fancy ones where it vanishes that the frames jitter.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Can you invert the mouse?

No clue, I switched to gamepad pretty early.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Well I just spent like an hour wandering this dead rear end city killing moose, innocent non-aggressive robots and fishing robo-carp out of a stream. 10/10 game of the year. Holy gently caress I love the music and visual design.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

As long as you're mixing in pod fire, pod abilities, weapon combos and dodging things you shouldn't be having trouble, especially with a level 3 weapon, at least I think.

My personal tip to anyone using a game pad, if you're like me at least and are way too used to Dark Souls, is to switch dodge to B (or circle) because it's really awkward to fire the pod and dodge at the same time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

:eyepop: so this game is related to drakengard 3, if at least tenuously through the weapon vendor dude.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So apparently there are people getting super mad that this is, and I quote "A bad port" and I'm just laughing my rear end off at that one because there doesn't seem to be anything really bad about it? Like, even among the other ports people have been complaining about all year, this is probably like the best of the best I've played.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

buglord posted:

Eh I think its fair to be upset since some of the bugs seem like things that should have never got passed QA. I mean that Borderless Gaming app on GitHub fixed the worst thing. Cutscenes are kinda BS with the limitations. Annoying but not life shattering.

But nothing will ever be as bad as the Red Faction: Guerrilla port to PC.

No, it's not perfect and it's hard to get a game that works perfectly on 100% of PC set ups. Even non-port games fail at that often. But the game is fine, as a port it's fine especially.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

This desert is pretty big.

Is there another pod to find here, or like are those plot items? Because I'm just scouring every inch of this place and it's easy to get lost. I found that oasis though and these locked chests are getting on my nerves.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

if you already found one in the desert then that's all there is.

there's another one in a different zone though but you won't be going there for a while.

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that the locked chests are second playthrough.

Nah, I didn't find one in the desert but I guess that means there's one to find? I spent some time oil fishing so back to looking for that I guess.

Thanks for telling me though, I kept thinking the locked chests were just missing a skill and so I bought that awful hammer special trying to break them open.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Hammer owns 🔨

It always goes over the target and hits behind them when I use it. :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Ok has anyone hosed with the voice transmission effect?

Do it now

There's a voice transmission effect?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

verbal enema posted:

settings other voice changer

I don't have it yet, I assume it's NG+

Also, turns out the pod in the desert emits a really high pitched beep when you're near it. Found that, it seems like it'll be selectively useful. Gatling gets the job done for regular dudes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

It's such a letdown compared to the awesome hand word from the first game. I kinda feel that way about a lot of the programs but I'm sure part of that is that you don't get to enjoy the great and powerful Grimoire Weiss explaining that words are sound, sound is blood and blood... IS POWER

Yeah I'm super disappointed there's no Dark Fist. Like, if they released Nier spell DLC I would buy it in a heart beat then never use anything but Dark Fist just like I did in the original game. Because you simply can not do better than casting Fist. Oh well, I guess shooting dudes with lasers on a whim will have to do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I just got to disneyland and, uh I kind of went hog wild and I think I killed two named machines? Did I just gently caress myself?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pretty sure you'll be fine, I think they respawn when you leave the area but if not, they'll be back on route B for certain.

Well I meant for this run through I guess. Glad I didn't kill this vendor though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

6O is the best.

EDIT: This opera boss is kind of poo poo though? Like it's not hard but the over head camera makes it straight up impossible to see anything so I can't dodge.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 18, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Not much gets me misty eyed, but the clear NieR 1 nostalgia pandering parts of Automata got me. They're both wonderful games, even if NieR is more of a flawed gem than Automata is.

A few pages back but it reminded me of a question I have if anyone's played the JP version of the game. The Iron Pipe. The story is clearly a reference to Nier, specifically the father version. In Japan did they go with the brother version, or did they reference the father in that one too because it's the superior version?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

another weapon references brother nier. I forget which tho

Neato.

Alder posted:

For players worried about losing chips it's not too bad once you get 30% item rate up you will be have way too many chips leftover. Also you will end up farming diamond chips at endgame since there's nothing else to do after you clear side quests/secret bosses.

What's the deal with diamond chips anyway? Do they just cost less or what? I have a few but I'm hesitant to just fuse them up because if I can get more I might as well just fuse those together to min/max like a nerd.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Will I be able to put the difficulty back up once i'm past it?

:shepface: Yes. But, uh. Why?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

dublish posted:

Any news about a patch for the PC port? I've had issues with the game recognizing my controller, and the fixes I'm using don't do much for evading.

Are you using a PS4 gamepad?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Quick question about a side quest, the father servo one. So he's level 50 and I can't even dent him. I'm also level 20. Is this just a levels thing, or am I missing something obvious? I can't break his armor, I can't do more than like 10 damage to his legs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mindblast posted:

You should have noticed his level increasing time, making each attempt take way longer as his hp and defenses increase. Just come back later with a higher level and better weapons/chips.

It took longer but it wasn't as hard because I was still actually doing damage. Good to know it's just a levels thing then. Also apparently there's a subquest in the amusement park? Stamp collecting? My friend told me about it but the NPC isn't there.. I think I might have accidentally killed it I guess. Where specifically is the quest giver?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Stormgale posted:

At the entrance to the whole park, before the area with the fountain

I see it I think I had to do the goliath event to get it to show up? Unless that's a different quest giver node on the map. How about that fuckin' hole there then.

EDIT: This is not the quest I was looking for.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 20, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So, where the hell do large gears drop? They say small dudes, but is there like a level range for it? Because I've been at this an hour and I only need one.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

You have to farm them from the stubby legs machines. It's annoying because the game doesn't exactly tell you to do this, it just says "oh these guys drop them" with no map update. It would've been nice if they indicated they were a rare drop instead of leaving the player wondering if they're doing it wrong. I had to look up a walkthrough.

edit: Also invest in item drop chips. I did it in hard mode which maybe also added more enemies in the city areas.

I've been doing that but no luck. Is it any and all subbies in the city? Do I have to progress the plot? Because this is driving me nuts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I wouldn't say I was really disappointed by weapons not growing, but a little for sure.
I'm quite surprised we didn't get Zero's Sword too, considering it's pretty good looking and it was the main weapon of the protagonist of Taro's previous game. DLC please.

Some DLC where you get the past protagonist's swords would be awesome. Even though the beast line of weapons and the iron pipe are what Nier is most associated with, he started with a different lovely sword. Being able to get Caim's sword would be cool too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Here's a plug in chip question, because I feel crazy. My friend swears by the shockwave chips but I kind of hate them. It feels like the shockwaves knock dudes out of sword range, am I imagining things?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How do you do this race bullshit. No matter how fast I go he always gets there like a second before I do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Even with speed salve and capped speed chips I'm not going anywhere near as fast as the guys in these videos, is there something I'm missing for this?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

InnercityGriot posted:

Hit him with the slow pod program at the beginning of the race, and in the final race get your best overclock chip, run down the path toward the enemies, perfect dodge, then while time is slowed book it to the finish.

I don't have either of these things.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

The aesthetic of this game reminds me so much of some old games like Super Mario 64 or Legend of Zelda: OOT. The way things feel so... sparse, but not empty. The buildings in city ruins feel incredibly ominous to me, almost oppressive. And then later in the desert it was like WHOAH.

Those games are just a few of a whole lot of totally different games that I feel like this game has drawn from artistically.

I love the visual design, the City Ruins area reminds me a lot of Tokyo Jungle, another game I loved the visuals of. Also I finally met Emil and I was grinning the whole time, then I found his shop and oh man that fuckin' song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I bought overclock from Emil, wrecked that speedstar quest I'm glad that rear end in a top hat is dead then on my way to save and finish up for the night a large gear dropped :shepface:.