Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

i am tim! posted:

I always figured that since the ancient ruins of Cathedral City look like burned out 20th century skyscrapers that it’s just burned out Tokyo after a time-loop or two. It’s the easiest explanation.
Right, I had been assuming it was some kind of modern city after a war or something, but it's like the one big enigma that hasn't really been touched on at all and I'd love to see where he thought he was going with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bogart posted:

I thought it went the other way? A chunk of dragon and god babby touched down on Tokyo.
That poster's saying that D1 ending E made Nier-world's modern Tokyo get magic, and then at some unspecified future date a part of Nier-world was sent back to D1 world, because Cathedral City is just a thing that showed up one day.

We don't know why (although we do know they nuked Tokyo from the Nier backmatter - it was a miserable failure that only spread the magic particles further and ruined their containment - it doesn't seem to have literally dimentionally shifted it)

edit: also reminder that Nier has crossover weapons with Dragon Quest and FF15 which has the same mythos as FF13 which has an ending where Lightning literally goes to Paris so there are at least three distinct Earths in the Nierverse

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EightFlyingCars posted:

She really, really hates that flower.
I think it's this. It's not so much save the world as specifically save the world from that loving flower.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

chiasaur11 posted:

Which you need for 100 percent endings.
Can't you just buy the achievement and get E that way?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hikaki posted:

While D3's story is much more insane than Nier's, I don't think I'd call either of the Niers "mainstream". In fact, I might sooner call D3 more mainstream since it has much more consistent gameplay.
I don't know what definition of "consistent" you're using here but I would argue that a game with combat by Platinum is infinitely more mainstream than D3, which was the final entry in the proud tradition of "sigh, if I have to" lovely-Drakengard-basically-bad-musou-game combat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yoko Taro's Text Adventure That's Just The Forest Of Myth From Nier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://twitter.com/grimoirerubrum/status/1040134411205963776

technically this isn't quite perfect for this thread but let's face it, yes it is